New in here--from North Central Texas

Unclebuck257

Hey y'all,

Although I've been reading a bunch of these threads in order to learn what I can, I just joined today and I really do appreciate the great expertise that a lot of you freely give to other posters in here.

I promise not to poot, scratch my butt or pick my nose while in here reading and posting! Oh wait, that was my wife I promised that to when we go out to dinner, so scratch that!

I don't yet have a detector, but because of reading various threads in here, I've narrowed it down to a choice between a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 and a Fisher F-2, and leaning towards the F-2, to start out. Figure I can hand it down to the granddaughter later when I upgrade.

I've been told that I'm an onry senior citizen, but the truth is that I'm just determined and I get all my philosophical determination from Maxine. Love her cartoons! Come to think of it, I believe Maxine and I are about the same age!

Ok, enough of all that stuff. Look forward to posting and learning from a lot more from you folks because I don't know squat about this hobby....YET!

Thanks again everybody.

Welcome from Oregon.
While I'm new to this myself I will share my opinions. I purchase the F2 package on Amazon. Two coils and pinpointer. I instantly realized the value of a good pinpointer. I sold the Fisher pinpointer on ebay and purchased a Pro-pointer. Finally I purchased a Zenport K245 trowel, also Amazon, under $10. It will not bend or break and has serrated edge.
The F2 is a fantastic machine, user friendly, very sensitive. Five year warranty.
The most valid complaint with the F2 is the power source, two 9V batteries. I personally have more faith in two 9V's vs. 4AA's. Three tips here: 1) after a few hours of use rotate the batteries, they seem to power different functions and discharge at different rates. 2) use a coin to flatten bottom lip of battery where it meets the compartment clip. This will make installation and removal easier. 3) Name brand batteries are available cheap on ebay.
Go for it, stick with it, happy hunting.

Myself, like many others, went with the Fisher F2. There’s a terribly big long thread about it here started by respected member DIGGER27, and it alone convinced me it was a great machine.

Terribly big long thread here

After I got mine and used it a while, I wrote my own glowing review for Yahoo. Although the Fisher F2 is considered a beginner detector, it can *definitely* find the good stuff. DIGGER27 has a whole slew of gold rings nabbed by his F2, and I found a 1944 Walking Liberty half dollar at a ball park.

My glowing review on Yahoo here

If you have more money than about $200 to spend on a metal detector, I’d check into the Fisher F5 or the AT Pro by Garrett--both are doing well out there. If a screen/numbers/bells and whistles aren’t important to you, check out the Tesoro line. The Vaquero is very popular, lightweight, and DEEP. Real deep. Too deep, some say. :D

A great review site for the Tesoro Vaquero here:

A great Tesoro Vaquero review site

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome from Oregon.
While I'm new to this myself I will share my opinions. I purchase the F2 package on Amazon. Two coils and pinpointer. I instantly realized the value of a good pinpointer. I sold the Fisher pinpointer on ebay and purchased a Pro-pointer. Finally I purchased a Zenport K245 trowel, also Amazon, under $10. It will not bend or break and has serrated edge.
The F2 is a fantastic machine, user friendly, very sensitive. Five year warranty.
The most valid complaint with the F2 is the power source, two 9V batteries. I personally have more faith in two 9V's vs. 4AA's. Three tips here: 1) after a few hours of use rotate the batteries, they seem to power different functions and discharge at different rates. 2) use a coin to flatten bottom lip of battery where it meets the compartment clip. This will make installation and removal easier. 3) Name brand batteries are available cheap on ebay.
Go for it, stick with it, happy hunting.

Huh. Switching the batteries is a real good idea. I never thought about that. :D

I use rechargeables on mine and they work wonderfully. :)

Hey Zippo,

Thanks for the shout!! Actually I live north of town about 10 miles north on Hwy 51 and then about 2 miles in off the blacktop. Doesn't do me any good though as most of our pastures out here are so dry they might as well be concrete. Oh well, at least I got plenty of round bales in for the critters before all this bad drought hit.

Hey Zippo,

Thanks for the shout!! Actually I live north of town about 10 miles north on Hwy 51 and then about 2 miles in off the blacktop. Doesn't do me any good though as most of our pastures out here are so dry they might as well be concrete. Oh well, at least I got plenty of round bales in for the critters before all this bad drought hit.

Its dry as a powderkeg here too, I'm south of Bridgeport about 6 miles. Hope you caught a little rain this morning, it missed us.

Back
Top Bottom