• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

When did they stop making the beaver tails pulltabs?

PhishingMan

I've been finding more of those than the modern pulltabs. Is this a good sign that the places I've been searching haven't been detected before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tab_(beverage_can)

"The safety and litter problems were both eventually solved later in the 1970s with the invention of the non-removing "pop-tab". The pull-ring was replaced with a stiff aluminium lever, and the removable tab was replaced with a pre-scored round tab that functioned similarly to the push-tab, however the raised blister was no longer needed as the riveted lever would now do the job of pushing the tab open and into the interior of the can."

Why couldnt they just make them out of plastic?! :( Someday, someday!

Why couldnt they just make them out of plastic?! :( Someday, someday!

Almost here, even most people's money is plastic these days... Even if they went with plastic, seems all the stuff I want is already under the blasted beaver tails!!

<*)))>{

I wouldn't say it's a good sign that people haven't detecting there before, just a sign that they did not dig the stuff in the pull tab range. You can find a million at the Missouri state fair grounds, but that place has been hunted, and hunted and hunted, ect.

I agree with Tilton, when I first started, the oldest park around had a million tabs, I thought, I was in luck.... 2 hrs later, $.15 in clad :mad:....

<*)))>{

I can remember back in 1985 when they still had the beaver type tabs but a few years after that, they swtiched to the current type. However, they still make the beaver type on some products.

1975. By 1980, the stay-tab was king. I suppose some companies still used the beaver tail but the major pop and beer companies had switched to the stay tab.

Yet...I still find plenty of the little 'stay' tabs around. I guess is kind of a nervous tick to remove the stay tab from the can and toss it.

There's no excuse for ripping the stay tab off a modern can, but people do it! I've found plenty.

If you are finding lots of beaver tails, like was said before it doesn't mean the place has never been hunted. Could be the previous hunters just didn't dig those signals (cherry-picking). BUT - the good thing is that if you go dig them all and clean them out, you might find good stuff under or over the tabs.. and you might luck out and find gold. It's tough to have the determination to keep digging them when you are in a mess of them I know... but I guess it could pay off.

There's no excuse for ripping the stay tab off a modern can, but people do it! I've found plenty.

If you are finding lots of beaver tails, like was said before it doesn't mean the place has never been hunted. Could be the previous hunters just didn't dig those signals (cherry-picking). BUT - the good thing is that if you go dig them all and clean them out, you might find good stuff under or over the tabs.. and you might luck out and find gold. It's tough to have the determination to keep digging them when you are in a mess of them I know... but I guess it could pay off.

Aye! Aye! I think most people underestimate masking! I actually relish my beaver-tail infested sites as they are potentially virgin under all those tabs.

And don't get me started on the gold! Last year, I hunted a soccer field with this guru guy. He methodically went after every beaver tail until he found a gold ring with a hulking 1 ct diamond. I saw him do it and let me tell you, you will NEVER look at a beaver tail pulltab the same way after you see a ring like that come out of the ground from a pull tab signal.

My 2 best Gold rings hit a jumpy 62 on my AT Pro. Dead center in the beaver tail type pull tab range.

One was a big 10k class ring in a park that gets detected constantly. It had to have been passed over by other detectors for years.

I remember pulltab cans still being around in 1976-1977, but they were gone before 1980 when CT started the nickel deposit on cans and bottles...

If any of you guys remember watching "Emergency" back in the day? They had an episode where a guy who dropped the beaver tail down in his beer like everyone did back then sucked it down into his wind pipe. Wasn't long after that episode that the beavertails were gone from what i remember.

i started a thread about a field that i started digging because of the pull tabs. i have been digging there a week now and i'm about to give up lol i have pulled at least a hundred or more tabs out of the ground in just a few really short hunts. i don't know if i can take it anymore. there are hundreds of tab signals.. very discouraging :(

I wouldn't say it's a good sign that people haven't detecting there before, just a sign that they did not dig the stuff in the pull tab range. You can find a million at the Missouri state fair grounds, but that place has been hunted, and hunted and hunted, ect.

I'd say its closer to 10 million...:lol:

But if anyone has the patients to dig them I'm sure theres a few hundred rings there too, it is a site thats had 100 thousand+ visitors a year for the past 100 years...

Back
Top Bottom