• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

True Temper... I like it a lot, but...

JerseyJoe

Forum Supporter
My thumb doesn't.

Holy cow is this thing sharp!!! I was at a park yesterday with my kids and got a little careless in handling the TT. Sliced a pencil eraser-sized chunk out of my thumb. Continued my hunt as much as I could before I bled out. :lol:

It really is a great, solid tool but I think I need to break out the angle grinder on this baby just to take a little of the edge off.

I definitely like the concave shape. It seems to give a good amount of leverage when prying up a plug.

Think it will wear down with use, but with kids, probably a good idea, they are better little diggers anyway, lower to the ground. :)

I put a razor edge on my Fiskar ($7 Walmart special). Oak tree roots are the only thing I struggle with around here, but not near as bad. Got some folding pruning shears for thicker roots, if I need.

The true temper loves blood. It took a chunk off my index finger. I still love to use my true temper but now I carry a first aid kit in my car. :p

I've got a nice slice on my thumb from a recent encounter days ago. I was just cleaning my gear too. The serrations are quite nasty!

Good idea to carry a first aid kit.

You can get cut, scratched, and all kinds of stuff digging in the woods and at old sites. I always carry a first aid kit with me.
John

When I got the 2 TT's for my son and I, I took a file to his immediately.
So far, hasn't been an issue with mine. It's dulling down pretty quick from chopping roots hitting stones and such.

I like them alot

i like them alot,my thumb,tendons,musles,joints do too,Earl

Attachments

• 20110613_1.JPG
    20110613_1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 607
"TT Bites Owner"....

I too am a victim of my TT. The very day I bought it and brought home from Lowe's The Blue Tool bit me on the finger of the opposite hand - carelessness leads to injury with TT. I wonder if anyone who owns that other luxury tool, the Lesche, ever get hurt? Is it only TT's that bite?

I too am a victim of my TT. The very day I bought it and brought home from Lowe's The Blue Tool bit me on the finger of the opposite hand - carelessness leads to injury with TT. I wonder if anyone who owns that other luxury tool, the Lesche, ever get hurt? Is it only TT's that bite?

I had a Lesche and it wasn't nearly as sharp as the TT. I like the TT much better.

Now that I've had it on a few hunts, the sharpness has mellowed a bit. It's a great tool. I also like the handle. For me, its a lot easier on the hand when digging.

I started out with a trowel and pocketknife a few weeks ago, then went to Lowe's looking for a Lesche-like digging tool, since my hands had become overgrown with callouses and blisters... and then I found the TT. Awesome tool!! I've gotten a knick here or there since starting to use it, but it's effectiveness more than makes up for the blood price it asks for having it in your possession, imho :lol:

I started out with a trowel and pocketknife a few weeks ago, then went to Lowe's looking for a Lesche-like digging tool, since my hands had become overgrown with callouses and blisters... and then I found the TT. Awesome tool!! I've gotten a knick here or there since starting to use it, but it's effectiveness more than makes up for the blood price it asks for having it in your possession, imho :lol:

Yeah give it a little while. Mine is perfect now because its dulled the blades a bit from digging. Great for plugs and then prying up by flipping it over to the other side. Glad I switched to the True Temper. HH

sorry for being a bone head

Are you guys referring to a hand digger or a spade like shovel as pictured in a prievious post? Where do I get one?

I thought that I'd make do with a bayonet & one of my wife's gardening trowels. Boy was I wrong. The bayonet wouldn't cut through the thick Florida sod & the trowel broke on the first outing. I picked up the TT at Lowes & used it for the first time today; the difference was like night and day.

I thought that I'd make do with a bayonet & one of my wife's gardening trowels. Boy was I wrong. The bayonet wouldn't cut through the thick Florida sod & the trowel broke on the first outing. I picked up the TT at Lowes & used it for the first time today; the difference was like night and day.

Welcome to the forum. Yeah that tool is awesome.

...and my thumb has healed. :)

Back
Top Bottom