Ordered two detectors today... Need advice

MathieuTN

I ordered the Deus XP and the Racer today. I am brand new to the metal detector game. I am joining the local club for the knowledge.

I am thinking I may have made a mistake on the Racer. I ordered it as a gift to a friend to hunt relics/coins with me. After reading some of the info in this forum Inam thinking the $499 for the Racer could have been spent on something better. Can anyone point me in a better direction?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I ordered the Deus XP and the Racer today. I am brand new to the metal detector game. I am joining the local club for the knowledge.

I am thinking I may have made a mistake on the Racer. I ordered it as a gift to a friend to hunt relics/coins with me. After reading some of the info in this forum Inam thinking the $499 for the Racer could have been spent on something better. Can anyone point me in a better direction?

You got some high grade equipment there for just starting. Hope you enjoy the hobby and :welcome2:

For someone brand new, I hope you stick it out after buying that Deus.
If I was gonna get a Racer it'd be the Racer2. Not a Racer fan though.
Good luck

For someone brand new, I hope you stick it out after buying that Deus.
If I was gonna get a Racer it'd be the Racer2. Not a Racer fan though.
Good luck

Any suggestions at that price point that is better? I can send it back.

advise from a not so recent newbie

I went in large and picked up Whites v3I and then Etrac at same time as a fresh off the boat hunter.

I found stuff but I was frustrated and not having fun. I then sold both and took advise from a seasoned hunter got a simple machine and then started have fun.

Learn to walk before ya start running. Also learn one machine at a time. PS I clicked with a tesoro machine.

Should I send all of them back and start over? I just went with what the dealer said was good to go.

Deus is one of the best units for relic hunting. I personal prefer the Teknetics
T2 over the Racer for the Price.

Start with a decent 'Grab & Go" machine, something with the ability to just turn it on & hunt plus the ability to modify parameters enough so you are not trapped in an underpowered machine as your skills improve. This is to help you find while you learn, it's less frustrating that way, Talk to our sponsors, one has a new 'demo' for a great price - Fisher F44 full warranty demo $279 .
Makes a great backup machine when you're ready for a more advanced (read sharper learning curve) rig.

AT Pro is also a good 1st machine.

I don't have any experience with these particular machines, but usually there is a stock program mode where you turn the machine on and get cracking. After you get some experience learning what the machine is trying to tell you, you start fiddling with settings until you get it set up for your hunting style and sites. I'm sure some of the great members who run these machines, especially the Deus guys, can help set you straight on how to get started. Good luck and HH!

Etrac would be good for coins
And a Racer 2 would be a good complement,,a small coil though would be nice.

A Deus and an etrac make a great combo-- cost more loot though.

For a solo detector,,Minelab CTX with stock and small coil,,a good setup-- cost for this unit not cheap

There are other combos too,,,but since I have not used,,,won't comment

The 2 detectors you have bought,,,IMO too similar with their strengths,,,you can do better with different combo,,to open up your detecting possibilities

All just my opinion.

You will notice I do have some of what you have bought in my signature line.

Etrac would be good for coins
And a Racer 2 would be a good complement,,a small coil though would be nice.

A Deus and an etrac make a great combo-- cost more loot though.

For a solo detector,,Minelab CTX with stock and small coil,,a good setup-- cost for this unit not cheap

There are other combos too,,,but since I have not used,,,won't comment

The 2 detectors you have bought,,,IMO too similar with their strengths,,,you can do better with different combo,,to open up your detecting possibilities

All just my opinion.

You will notice I do have some of what you have bought in my signature line.

Since he bought the Racer for a friend to use detecting with him then I think that being "similar" would be a good thing. Afterall they are doing the same thing

Nothing wrong with the Red Racer. Maybe a little hot for a beginner, but if you're there to guide him he should be fine and do well.

I'd keep the deus. It's a great machine and will serve you for years to come.
For a back up/friend detector, the atpro would be good, even used. good for hunting in rain/water.

keep the DEUS dont let it go...it will serve you well when you will learn to use it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom