Is it worth it to upgrade right before college?

birdboy

Hey guys, so the deal is, I've had an ace 250 for, god, too long now :mad:, and would love to upgrade. I'm really interested in the F75, but college is this fall, and spending money is not the best idea I suppose. College is damned expensive if you didn't already know. But still, I really would love to upgrade. My parents are worried that I won't use the detector much in college, and when I get out, it will be obsolete. What do you guys think about that? I know it is a tough question, but, is it worth it to purchase a detector right before college?

As a side note, if the answer is yes, it is worth it, is it also worth it to invest in the F75 ltd? Keep in mind, I'm not quite sure I have 1000 bucks kicking around, but when the F75 is on sale for 600, I could do that. Is the ltd that much better?

Thanks everyone! HH!

I just upgraded from the Ace250 to the Fisher F5, best decision I ever made, I would have gotten the F75 if I had the money, in my opinion, from what I've read from owners of the F75 and ltd, probably won't be missing much, other than the extra $$$$, some even preferred the F75 over the ltd.

Get it, you won't regret it.

used almost new for $450 -->http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-F75-Used-Metal-Detector-Excellent-Condition-Deep-Coins-/381709732641?hash=item58dfac4b21:g:GV0AAOSwaB5XkOXO

or new like you said for $599

In the grand scheme of things $600 for a detector won't pay for much of your college.....so I say buy the new detector! Once your get out of college it might be awhile before you can buy a good detector.

I say listen to your parents especially if they are helping you through college.

Are your parents against you buying a new detector, or you can - but they just don't think it's the best idea, because you won't have much time to detect?

If like most, when you go to college you will be flat broke living off Ramen soup and all you can eat cheese sandwiches plus all those raging drunk parties every weekend (depending on the college, they could be nightly). I see the detector as a win in both cases. A way to hunt for a little extra money to get a real meal from Taco Bell every once in a while, and a good distraction away from the rituals of standing upside down while having a keg spout shoved in you face with 20 other "brothers" yelling, "Drink!...Drink!..."

Just some good points to help your cause out should they be okay with you buying one.

Are your parents against you buying a new detector, or you can - but they just don't think it's the best idea, because you won't have much time to detect?

If like most, when you go to college you will be flat broke living off Ramen soup and all you can eat cheese sandwiches plus all those raging drunk parties every weekend (depending on the college, they could be nightly). I see the detector as a win in both cases. A way to hunt for a little extra money to get a real meal from Taco Bell every once in a while, and a good distraction away from the rituals of standing upside down while having a keg spout shoved in you face with 20 other "brothers" yelling, "Drink!...Drink!..."

Just some good points to help your cause out should they be okay with you buying one.

This right here! ^^^ Plus, as a Student, you have the whole run of the place! You can hunt right where the action is unopposed! Plus, its a good way to pick up chicks!:laughing:
Mud

Putting down the hobby for 2 to 4 years could cool your enthusiasm for the hobby, a new (to you) MD could help keep it alive, give you something to do when the only other things going on are things you may choose not to participate in, clear your head with a little alone time when you need it, etc.
Gives you a chance to walk the campus, meet people, make new friends, score a little clad (especially if you MD the upside down party areas the next day :laughing:) I see where you could sell your folks on this, and even if your time is limited, keep the flame alive.

AND +1 on Mud Puppy

In the grand scheme of college, 600 bucks doesn't go too far. Half your books for a semester, maybe all books for a semester if you have a good school. You will be probably working a job, taking a full load of classes, studying, doing school work, and chasing girls. Girls girls girls girls girls. <------ that is what college is allllllll about. If you find some other guys who detect and you get more into the hobby with them during free time, having the f75 would be great for you. But if it's really gonna sit and collect dust with out batteries in it, then I'd wait till you're out of college and see whats new and on sale then.

Listen to your parents. Remember these words: exams, term papers, study time,friendships. The Ace will be more than enough for the short jaunts when you do have some extra time. And when you're finished, technology will have given you better choices. From a Former college grad who just barely made it!:laughing:

When I was in college I didn't have any time to metal detect. If I wasn't at school I was doing homework. But if you would like a great deal on a new detector hit me up. :)

Maybe wait a semester or whole 1st year of school and see how much free time you have for detecting? You already have the 250, so an upgrade isn't going to be significant if you don't have time to use it.

See how much time you actually have to detect between classes and studies with the 250, and then determine cost wise if it's a financially responsible decision to have an upgrade dependant on that time allotted to detect. The Ace should do you good and you're already very familiar with it, so that may already give you a leg up over time learning a new machine.

What about saving the money and just use your current detector until you have enough clad/jewelry finds to pay for a new detector? Obviously, it depends on where you're going to school, but chances are you'll have opportunities at spots that may be off limits to non-students. Intramural sports fields, sand volleyball courts, common areas where students study or congregate between classes, etc. Absolute gold mine potential in my opinion. Go early in the morning or during school breaks and I'll bet you have the run of the place.

In any event, using some of your free time while at college to metal detect is a great idea in my opinion. I've been in this hobby for about 3 1/2 years and I've often thought about the treasures that might have been if I'd done this during college.

Dude...Dont count on a College degree to be your golden ticket to success in this Life ...The skills you will gain and the contacts you make through the discipline of 'applied detecting' are much more valuable....truthfully...focus up on what really matters here...'High disc and low sens' is all you need to know...
Mud

Save your money for beer and fast food:D

With a New detector he can find plenty of beer and fast food clad

Dude...Dont count on a College degree to be your golden ticket to success in this Life ...The skills you will gain and the contacts you make through the discipline of 'applied detecting' are much more valuable....truthfully...focus up on what really matters here...'High disc and low sens' is all you need to know...
Mud

or....he could become the next electronics/electrical engineer and design a new state of art Metal Detector:detector:

As a full time college teacher, I say go for it. I'd give anything for my students to be that passionate about anything in the real world. Anything! Beanie Babies, poker, marbles, cooking, dirt samples, Chinese checkers, raising parakeets.... anything. (Facebook, Twitter, snapchat, Xbox, PlayStation do not count!)

My most successful students were very driven, they had interests that were time consuming, but all that is a moot point because the real element that was a direct correlation to their success was the "driven" part.

For example, my best student excelled in my classes (I'm not an easy teacher)! She also worked a job, she also was my work study student and that job is a dirty dirty toiling thing (that only pays minimum wage) AND this young lady was an avid knitter. She cranked out many items last semester, AND when one of her classmates suddenly passed away shortly after giving birth, this girl knitted an entire blanket on behalf of her fellow students to give the family....

So. If you are a driven, responsible person (I hope you are) it doesn't matter what you decide as you will excel or crash and burn with or without a detector. It sounds harsh, but the very best example is extra credit. If I give an extra credit project, who does it? Of course the "A" students who don't need it. The digital zombies who play their games all night who NEED the points don't even attempt it.

Good luck. Work hard. Be responsible.

Back
Top Bottom