Equinox 800: First impressions. OK, I'm impressed!

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
I'm somewhat reluctant to post this after reading some of the Equinox threads lately which have turned kind of ugly.. I don't want anyone to think I'm adding any undue hype to a detector that has already seen plenty.. Plus, I've only spent a few hours using it so far. This is not a review. That will come later after I've put at least 50 hours on the machine. When that time comes, I won't hold back on posting both the good and the bad. This is just my initial impressions after limited time using it.

So far I've spent some time in my test garden and taken it out for one quick hunt. Had silver within 20 minutes at a hammered spot. More on that later.

In the test garden, I noticed one thing right away. The Nox is able to hit targets surrounded by iron AND give a proper ID. The Deus is able to hit these targets as well, but the ID is pulled down by the surrounding ferrous items. With the lower tone and ID, whether to dig or not becomes questionable. Especially on small targets and low conductors. On these same targets, the Equinox ID and tone is pretty much unchanged by the ferrous surrounding it. It may drop a little, but is still right in the acceptable digging zone. Tnsharpshooter mentioned this in his thread and now I've seen it for myself. Why is this such a big deal? Having the ability to easily and accurately cherry pick targets from areas that are loaded with iron is, well, kind of a game changer! For me anyway. I still need to do a lot more testing and familiarizing myself with this detector, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

So after work yesterday I loaded up the Nox and headed out to the spot I refer to as "the honey hole". Now this is a large area and there are still coins there no doubt.. But the specific spot where I was going is only about 24'x24'.. This is where the bulk of the cache was found. I wanted to hit this particular area because its loaded with iron and I've literally pounded it with the CTX, Deus, V3I, ATpro and Etrac from every direction for years now. I haven't dug any silver in this spot for a long time.

Anyway, after no more than 20 minutes I got a pretty solid 31-33 signal. Dug out the plug and sure enough, it was silver! A 1914 Barber quarter! It was the very first coin I dug using the Equinox. It wasn't very deep, but clearly had some iron around it. I ended up pulling 4 small nails and one big one out of the plug and hole. I have no doubt that I've been over this coin several times before, but missed it for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure the Deus would have reported it, but maybe gave a lower tone and ID with all the iron around it.

I didn't bring along the Deus or CTX because I didn't want to lag around a bunch of detectors while trying to learn the Nox. So I know this doesn't prove anything definitively, and I'm definitely not suggesting that everyone go out and buy a Nox. Not yet anyway. :) Just reporting what I've seen so far.

Attachments

• 1914-barber-quarter.jpg
    1914-barber-quarter.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 905
Last edited:
I just received my Equinox 800 from Antique Detectors here on the forum. We are still snowed in but first thing I am hitting an old amusement park that I and my hunting buddy have hit very heavy over the past 4 years. If I pull any silver from there this machine will have prove itself.

Nice hunt and info Thanks! The Nox does seem to shine in trashy iron areas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That is one heck of a quarter! Makes me even more anxious to get a Nox and get out there with it!

Back
Top Bottom