Question, hunting in full discrimination?

The only time I crank up my Compadre is in a heavy tab area- and I only set it to break up at tabs so I can find the clad notch detectors miss under and around the tabs.

Loosing depth due to added discrimination is a myth today. Yes, masking can be a problem but they eliminated the loss in depth from discrimination some 20 years ago. The masking varies from detector to detector from extreme to pretty much a non issue.

A good detector that is properly adjusted will miss very little other than trash. With that being said, good stuff can read in the trash zone as well.

Know your detector, your hunting environment and what you're looking for, and you can use discrimination without the fear of missing much at all.

The discrimination causes depth loss , but indirectly. No matter what detector you use it will start calling targets lower conductor as they fall near or at the detectors max accurate depth. Even some of the better ones can start calling a quarter or dime " iron " or aluminum at around 7 or 8 inches depending on the soil. So unfortunately , the more you crank the discrimination up the more of the deeper targets disappear , even the ones that might squeak out a high chirp if the disc was lower.

Of course in trashy ground , depth can be a moot point anyway

I agree, not all metal detector lose depth with discrimination. I like to disc out everything somtimes,and other times I use all metal.depending on location

The more you slice and dice a signal, the more information you lose. When you use a lot of discrimination, you lose more signal than you bargain for.

Lets say, you set to disc out everything but silver dimes. For an arbitrary ID, I will say is VDI 80. Setting VDI to 79 will result in some degree signal loss right up to ~VDI 84. 80 being most effected, 84 seeing the least effect. Some of these targets will sound broken and you may think will be iron. bottlecaps, etc.

At minimum, set discrimination to at least 5 below your target cut off (so in this example, 74)

If I set disc high on my 2 filter IDXPro,I lose depth badly. Not so on my Explorer2 or CTX. I would believe a good amount of depth would be lost on a 2 filter Tesoro as well.

This is a copy and paste from danowskidetectors forum but its pretty good info. But pay attention to the second point. Target loss still equals depth loss...

" Not all machine's loose depth...the etrac and cz do not they use a audio disc circuit more like notching .. instead of an electrical circuit...Single freq machines can do the same as the multi freq's...

But remember just becasue you dont loose depth you will still loose target's if too much disc is used..Object's can read lower into area's you have choosen to reject and be nulled..."

Here is a chart showing different items conductive range.
This will help you understand the order that items will discriminate out.
Equate this to your discriminator dial and its markings.
The steel bottle cap usually lines up with the end of the word iron on your dial.
I e tested a few gold men's class rings with my Tesoros and
if you have your disc set to ignore zinc pennies you won't find the gold.
It's the cruel joke of detecting. The Gold hides amongst the garbage.
Hope it helps.. Noah

Rusty steel bottle caps and nails are going to read more like coins and are hard to discriminate out.

Back
Top Bottom