Lake Erie, MI. last Sunday...

Ice Scratcher

Elite Member
My first time water hunting, tried my new RTG stainless, using waders I hunted for an hour, and I was done, not because of the cold either. It was BORING!! I must be doing something wrong, and I think it is/was a location issue...

Has anyone ever hunted Sterling State Park? There were no signals, just a little bit of iron every 20ft.. I'm thinking that place must hit hard in the summer? The only thing I did recover was a bottle cap and I would not have even dug that signal in the dirt, but I had to dig at least one target..sheesh..

But now, the hard water is back...time to get the boat out and feesh..

<*)))>{

IMG_0007.jpg

There are normally two reason why there would not be any signals. One, it is hunted to death, two, the detector is broken. If the bottle cap you found had any depth, that eliminates the broken detector. :grin:

Would one expect similar VDIs and tones when in the water as on land? I also hunted some land that day and did just fine.. I stayed at 3ft deep and less.. The Lake is way down also 2ft or so?

<*)))>{

I spent 4 1/2 hours in a north idaho lake today and did unexpectedly poorly.. Lake is down and was out in 2-3 feet of water. Just iron signals and some clad. I'm with you. What gives?

I spent 4 1/2 hours in a north idaho lake today and did unexpectedly poorly.. Lake is down and was out in 2-3 feet of water. Just iron signals and some clad. I'm with you. What gives?

The OP, you and I are not the only three with metal detectors. Went hunting the other morning and there were 4 other hunters already in the water. I left and went to another beach.

There was a time when nobody was in the water in FL when the water temps went below 70, now it's no big deal with a wet suit and gold at $1,700 an ounce.

You need to be patient and work at it. I am very new to MDing beaches, so I can't give any advice. But, I do know from dirt work, that it takes a lot of hours to find good stuff. The harder you work the luckier you get. At least that is how it always seems to go for me. At least on the west coast of FL and on the fresh lakes you can legally get in the water and hunt. I am having a hard time figuring out where I can hunt in the water over here on the east coast of FL. I think I have some areas figured out, but I want to get them confirmed by DEP and FWC and Sheriff's Office before I step a foot in the water.

HH to all.

My first time water hunting, tried my new RTG stainless, using waders I hunted for an hour, and I was done, not because of the cold either. It was BORING!! I must be doing something wrong, and I think it is/was a location issue...

I would say your beach sanded in my good man. Great Lakes are a tough hunt on their best days and a real bear on their worst.

Get the book Gold beneath the waves and study it.

PM me and I'll give you a hand if I can. :grin:

I have only hit Sterling once but talking to treasure hunters I run across I know that the park is pounded hard in the summer

That place gets hunted a bunch. I've never hunted there but I have a friend that hunts there and he tells me that there are quite a few MDers that are there every time that he is. I'm in Toledo if you ever want to get together.

Im in southgate and people alwasy ask me if I ever go to sterling state park!lol I guess it must be hit a lot. But man, not even a little clad. That sucks!

Funny thing is, I tried my ace 250 there in the dry sand and did just the same.. I have some other spots for summer... I ain't messing with any rivers in the winter lol... Just wanted to try my new scoop for a second... As an after thought, I should have pitched whatever pocket change I had, out in front of me, for practice and to get a base line with the machine and scoop..

There is not much MD I could do around here in the water now lol, however, I am loving that fact..

Will report back, I hope after ice out in June!!:laughing: JK not really..

Thanks again all!

<*)))>{

I dont know if you ever tried this spot, but in the early 80s it was a place alot of us would hang,, drink and at time all our cloths were hanging in the bushes. from toledo 75 N get off Erie rd exit and take it all the way to water. its shallow water out quite a ways. I almost got run over by a truck, I was in a sleeping bag with girlfriend on beach. my older brothers partied there in the 70s. and who knows how long it was a hang out. I havnt been back there in 25 years but was gonna check it out next time home. might be alot of beavertails as 18 was drinking age back then and I did my share of that. give it a drive by nexttime your around and see if you can get back there...GL+HH.....cliffy.

You may need to get the Blisstool to get deeper. Bring a strong shovel. :lol:

Right on Cliff!

I know where you are talking, and I'm not so sure, I will check it out and report if I get a chance, I think it is Erie Power plant property....

Thanks a bunch for the tip!!

If you ever get back to "T" town, give me a holler..

<*)))>{

sure will....lost more than pull tabs at that beach...lol...cops came once and awile, but let us be, they were only looking for underage drinkers....wasnt a problem back then to hang out.Iam hoping to get back either late spring or early summer, not coming in cold weather, thats one reason I moved to sunny Florida. Its cooled off a bit here, last week was in 80s. heading out on a nite hunt in a half hour till 2am, gotta get my first gold of the year...GL+HH....Keep in touch....cliffy.

Back
Top Bottom