Forget North Myrtle beach for years to come......

Bud-sc

The Beach renourishment has a green light and starts Thursday. Its going to be very bad 12/14 feet of sand on the low tide line.All dry sand!!! If you have a plan trip to North Myrtle beach replan and go to Myrtle beach!!! I know we get a few guys from up north that come down during the winter better replan for Florida. $40 million and going to spend it on nothing!!!! South Carolina needs new roads but NO!!!!! have to spend it on sand what a waist of money!!!!! Someone getting a nice kickback$$$$$. I guess I will be on the road a lot more than I want to be.OR either I can go back to grocery retail for 5 more years after that see what happens.Sad day here!!!
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/8837283/beach-renourishment-to-begin-tomorrow

Was headed there the end of sept., guess I will go to Florida instead!,, hh blev

I know how you feel. I lost one of my most productive spots this year to asphalt. :sick:
GL&HH.

Beach re-nourishment is NOT necessarily all bad...

I started detecting Feb of 2011, I did really well that first year with my ACE250 and its' DD coil. Got some 14+ rings and nearly $200 in clad. My first gold ring came December of that year (Christmas day in fact) and then in January 2012 I heard they were going to re-nourish our beaches. Some of the old detectorists that I'd bump into on the beach all moaned and groaned about how we were FINISHED detecting...

Well, the re-nourishing happened and I continued to detect, and my finds DID go down, at least until I changed my style of detecting. Instead of grid searching the areas in front of the rental loungers to the water, I was told by my hunting buddy (with some 20 + years of detecting) to work a zig zag sawtooth type line down the beach and cover longer stretches of beach. So I did, and it really paid off. I would go for some ways with very few targets at all and then all of a sudden I would hit a "patch" of targets, This patch would be about 3 to 4 feet wide and some 10 to 15 feet long. That's when I would do a 10 x 20 grid pattern. The only thing I can think is that the sand that got dredged up from the Gulf contained all these targets, got dumped onto the beach and spread out by the bulldozers. Some of these patches would hold 20 or 30 coins and there would be 3 or 4 patches a hunt. Some were higher and some were lower on the beach, but they were there.

Another trick I learned was to hit the area of the rental chairs. On our beaches the rental guys move the chair line every few days, if you hunt just in front of or just behind them, you'll be hunting the area that the chairs had sat over for a few days.

So, just because they re-nourish your beaches, don't give up. You'll have to try some new methods and work for it but it'll still be rewarding. Then too, there will still be recent drops to get too.

Oh, yeah, after I changed my style I averaged $5 and change a day plus I got another couple dozen rings. By the end of that year though, I had gotten into some serious water hunting and do very little dry sand beach in the summertime now.

GL & HH!

And they recently approved to pump in another 44 million worth here. INSANE! Georgia is where it's at!

Yup! My kids just came back from Cape Hatteras (OBX) and did surprisingly good with their bounty hunters. OBX will be hit by two days of sustained 60+ mph winds this weekend. Been thinking about that....

Yup! My kids just came back from Cape Hatteras (OBX) and did surprisingly good with their bounty hunters. OBX will be hit by two days of sustained 60+ mph winds this weekend. Been thinking about that....

I know Larry and I are heading north for sure but not quite that far nouth. These strong onshore sustained week long East winds have almost done the renourishing for the county for free! CRAZY amounts of sand moving in our area. :(

Heck I'm thinking we should be in the Panhandle!

you never know whats in the new sand. i would hunt it. i look at it like plowing a field in a civil war area. new possibilities. stay positive.

I know Larry and I are heading north for sure but not quite that far nouth. These strong onshore sustained week long East winds have almost done the renourishing for the county for free! CRAZY amounts of sand moving in our area. :(

Heck I'm thinking we should be in the Panhandle!

C'mon up to PCB! I'm off Tu-We-Th each week...

Snow Birds Stay Home!

All of Florida has been replenished except Panama City. Go there if you want loot. The rest of Florida there is nothing to find. Trust me. :pirate2: It is all 10 feet below the surface. ;) Remember to bring your crusty pennies to leave behind for the locals to dig. :D

Last edited:
they are dredging sand from 3 miles off shore... how many ship wrecks off the cost of Carolina? Chances are pretty good you might find something nice.

Back
Top Bottom