Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Supporter

Default Gel knee pads?

Use 'em? Like/hate 'em? Any ones to avoid? Something I could buy from Home Depot or Lowes would be great, as not to wait/pay shipping.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

Don't use them

Old 09-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by stinger View post
Don't use them

OK, could you be more vague?

How about a bit of an explanation as to why not?

ETA: You mean YOU don't use them

Old 09-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Supporter

Here in sand burr / goat head sticker land I use hard shell DeWalt knee pads almost all the time while hunting. I also do get down on one or two knees while digging. I don't think these have gel, but they're soft inside and I don't get that bone hitting ground feeling that I get without them. I recommend anything that makes it more comfortable to work on a knee.

CTX-3030, F2, F44, GPP, XP. Since 01/2014. 2892 Clad Coins, 14 Silver Coins, 1 War Nickel, 1 Buff, 56 Wheats, 2 Foreign Coins. Oldest: 1879 Morgan, 1909 Wheat, 2 Sterling Rings, 1 Gold Ring, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Old 09-18-2017, 07:57 PM
Elite Member

They seem to alway need adjusting every time you bend down then stand up unless your wearing shorts they ride with your pants.

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 09-18-2017, 08:22 PM
Supporter

I was just looking online, may swing into Lowes in the next few days. Yeah, the shorts thing is a concern, but I thought I might get one of those knee supports (the large elastic-type sleeve that slips over the knee) since I thought it would keep the strap from irritating my delicate skin Seriously, I'd think it would help in adding a little comfort.

Ditto on the long britches, maybe the better ones aren't as bad? I figured I'd "buy once/cry once", and since I only use one at a time, a pair of good ones should last me the rest of my life. I'd have to think Gel would be more comfortable, but I've never owned a set, plus I'd like to get a set with a flat face, as it seems the rounded ones are a but unstable for me.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Elite Member

They ride up every single time ...Have fun fixing them each time.
I own them they sit in my trunk

They sell pants with built in knee pads they may be better.

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 09-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Supporter

I use HDX single strap knee pads. Bought a LOWES . Cost about $12.00. They are not gel cell. But they are padded vary well and light weight. They do not shift or move at all and they are comfortable. Being a single strap they do not pinch the back of your leg.I get about 2 years of use out of them. You can find them at the ceramic dept. They are by far the best knee pads I have used. I have had the hard cap gel cell pads. Very heavy and they shift every time you bend down.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:09 PM

I use these
https://m.lowes.com/pd/AWP-Non-Marri...-Pads/50331749
From the few reviews they suck for flooring but are good for landscaping, I like them, they have 2 Velcro straps, the padding is great and they don't move around on my legs whether I'm wearing shorts or jeans.

Indiana/Oldest Coin 1906 Barber HD from SW Tear up

Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Knee Pads

I use a knee pads designed for sports. It stays in place. No straps to adjust and no cutting into your leg. http://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/...iABEgL-uvD_BwE I hope this link works.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

CROCS ( the company that makes the shoes) made great knee pads and they are very comfortable and do not slide down, pinch or get uncomfortable. I wear them with shorts all the time.

Unfortunately CROCS no longer makes them. HOWEVER I have found them on eBay several times and I have bought 6 pairs (they do eventually wear out). They are pricey but well worth every penny.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:40 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Gauntlet View post
OK, could you be more vague?

How about a bit of an explanation as to why not?

ETA: You mean YOU don't use them
there a pain in the a$$

Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Supporter

OK, I know this won't be for everyone but.... Considering my pants get wrecked from kneeling and digging I wanted some tuff pants, I bought Duluth trading firehose cargo pants and the kneepads that fit into them. The pads slide into pockets made in the pants. They are comfortable and the pads hit perfectly when you kneel. I can drop to my knees hard on concrete and not feel a thing. Yes these pants are heavy and hot in summer. They have many pockets to carry things. They are expensive but Duluth has a warranty that allows you to return them if not happy and you buy another pair with the refund. The actual kneepads hold up really well, mine are 2 years old and I use them a lot, only remove them from the pants for washing. The pants are rugged too, just not high fashion but neither am i.

Clad (2015/16)=149.45 (2017)=$14.44 Rings=8 Silver Coins=41 IH=19 Oldest coin=1723 Sterling =8 gold=1

Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Elite Member

Smile

Been using the Gel knee pads for years.

work great - although they do tend to ride up/down with your pant leg - no big deal just need to readjust them from time to time.

Makes it easier for me to kneel on my Knee replacement - no pain so i can hunt longer

always use them , always will

Old 09-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Supporter

I personally prefer these foam pads, lightweight, dont ride up, cover higher on the knee, last several seasons, and they're cheap

http://amzn.to/2hgcYYW

I personally wear the Tommyco Pads, http://amzn.to/2wE5hBw ONLY ones I wear, ever.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Elite Member

I just buy the cheap knee pads made for skate boarders at thrift stores. The only problem that I have with hard shells is that they tend to slide when on the side of a hill.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Supporter

I buy a set from Harbor Freight every year or so. I only use one knee to kneel, so one set lasts twice as long.

I only replace them when I've gotten so much stuff in the velco that they don't hold well anymore, or if I've cracked the hard knee pad. Usually happens about every 4 months or so per pad. In the summer, when I wear shorts, I don't use a knee pad at all.

A SET of knee pads is only $3.99, and I always buy them with a 20% off coupon, and get a free "something" (like a flashlight, screwdriver set, tarp. etc.) using the free coupon.

So... basically for about $3.50 I get a set of knee pads and something cool.

There are better pads out there, I suspect, but I like the HF ones, as they're comfortable (That's important), and disposable (because for $3.50 I just don't care that much if one gets slammed in a door, LOL)

Cheers,

Skippy

Old 09-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Supporter

Went out for a door knock this morning, since no one was home I swung into Lowes and bought a set.

The pants route wasn't for me, plus did nothing for warmer weather. I'll give a report back after getting a couple uses out of them.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 PM

I'm a big guy and I use and love these:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Knee-Pads-Mil...d=271952906011

I wear them with pants and shorts, all year long.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dave_e View post
I'm a big guy and I use and love these:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Knee-Pads-Mil...d=271952906011

I wear them with pants and shorts, all year long.
Going to give these a try, thanks for the info.