• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New Minelab machine!! See it here!

Anyone looking for a down and dirty water machine that collapses, and wants to do that every hunt, is never going to be happy.. Especially with CF shafts...

The shafts, and locking mechanisms do one of two things.. You can only choose one..

1) they lock up forever
2) they wear out and quit holding

Based off my and friends experience over the past five years.. I'll be leaving all mine locked in hunting position..

Even non moving parts will work their way into CF...

These pictures might look familiar to some...

<°)))>{

D@mn! How does one fix something like that?

R5

You dont have carbon fiber shaft....

I hunt often with the guy that runs that one..

The first one was cleaned often, and well, and the cam locks wore out...

The part that wore through the shaft, the handle, was never meant to be removed for cleaning..

<°)))>{

I hunt often with the guy that runs that one..

The first one was cleaned often, and well, and the cam locks wore out...

The part that wore through the shaft, the handle, was never meant to be removed for cleaning..

<°)))>{

Just saying why it doesnt happen to alum shaft...

Carbon fiber is just that... fiber. If you had a single strand of it you could twist it around and around without breaking it. But if something is rubbing into it it will breakdown eventually just as rubbing sandpaper against a string would.
Aluminum has different properties. Cf can be repaired fairly easily using a variety of methods

Carbon fiber is just that... fiber. If you had a single strand of it you could twist it around and around without breaking it. But if something is rubbing into it it will breakdown eventually just as rubbing sandpaper against a string would.
Aluminum has different properties. Cf can be repaired fairly easily using a variety of methods

Thats my point

Just saying why it doesnt happen to alum shaft...

My CF shaft even with cleaning it daily is now frozen... my aluminum shafts froze as well saltwater which you don't have btw is not very good to our machines... everything Ice says is right on the mark.

My CF shaft even with cleaning it daily is now frozen... my aluminum shafts froze as well saltwater which you don't have btw is not very good to our machines... everything Ice says is right on the mark.

So youre going to argue sand on metal n sand of cf is same hardness? Point is soft cf is MORE susceptible to sawing than a metal shaft n will damage faster.

Never seen a metal shaft sawn in half by sand like pics hes showing of a cf shaft is the point abt sand n carbon fiber

Anyone trying to sell their CZ, Excal or blue girl to buy this new fanciness let me know :) I guess most people wade with their detector but I'd like to see a new detector that has more than the 10ft deep threshold. :yes:

Most cf has a thin layer of vinyl on it, which makes it feel slippery and helps protect the cf from uv and other environmental factors. The vinyl layer is likely what has stuck together. Some scoop shaft manufacturers have eliminated that vinyl layer to lower the circumference slightly... this was a fatal error.

Most cf has a thin layer of vinyl on it, which makes it feel slippery and helps protect the cf from uv and other environmental factors. The vinyl layer is likely what has stuck together. Some scoop shaft manufacturers have eliminated that vinyl layer to lower the circumference slightly... this was a fatal error.

Anyone trying to sell their CZ, Excal or blue girl to buy this new fanciness let me know :) I guess most people wade with their detector but I'd like to see a new detector that has more than the 10ft deep threshold. :yes:

Not ready to sell the CZ-21 yet, but if this works good at the beach it will be replacing my CZ

I think it was factory tight, and didn't work loose either..

The flexible, dynamic nature of CF, even tight, it still moves, and rubs, ever so slightly, particulates get in and the work happens..

Obviously, some material, takes injury better than others.. Although initially way stronger, once damaged, gets weak easily...

<°)))>{

Yeah the top shaft gets loose. Mines been flopping around a bit about a year. My friend took his apart and applied some type carbon fiber patch. he did the same to his 17 coil when it fell apart. Looks like heck but still works. heck he still water hunts with his.:shock:

Yeah the top shaft gets loose. Mines been flopping around a bit about a year.

Well, I'm sure you know, but some might not realize..

It doesn't get loose, really, the handle is as tight as it will go. Its "loose" because the upper shaft is smaller now, at least where the handle contacts it..

I'm pretty sure, before it breaks, you can reposition the handle on some thicker meat, once it breaks, its too short to do anything with.. Something to think about..

<°)))>{

Well, I'm sure you know, but some might not realize..

It doesn't get loose, really, the handle is as tight as it will go. Its "loose" because the upper shaft is smaller now, at least where the handle contacts it..

I'm pretty sure, before it breaks, you can reposition the handle on some thicker meat, once it breaks, its too short to do anything with.. Something to think about..

<°)))>{

Been wondering if I can just wrap some electrical tape around it. Every now and then just change the tape. Bad thing about carbon fiber is i'm paranoid about breathing the dust. And when its wearing down you know you got dust in your car, house, etc.

Been wondering if I can just wrap some electrical tape around it. Every now and then just change the tape. Bad thing about carbon fiber is i'm paranoid about breathing the dust. And when its wearing down you know you got dust in your car, house, etc.

Tiny amounts like that will have little to no effect. If you are exposed breath through your nose and after clear your throat and blow your nose a dozen times or so..

Back
Top Bottom