anyone else

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
I want paid..lol..I'm a little perturbed since I found that key date walking half..Imagine finding your first valuable coin in better shape than ones selling n eBay,,then finding out fine scratches from being in the ground devalue it big time..I'm pissed.lol
I never got into this Hobbie to get rich or even make money.But when I find something of value I want it to be Valuable..So I think I'm striking silver coins off my list,if they come that's fine.But I'm going to leave private residences alone and go to parks and sports fields lookin for gold.
And to think I bought another Etrac after I found that coin,thinking I'm gonna get all those deep silvers.:laughing:....Id just as soon get a mangled up gold ring ,melts the same wether it's beat up or not.

Yep...I hear you bud..Theres more money picking up empty cans and totlotting clad than going after old silver coins..I aint in it for the Money either, but damn..its gotta break a bit even at least! Bigger money to be made just eyeballing curb set outs and wind blown bills than digging mercs or whatnot...

Take AtPro Dude for instance...pulling nearly 2k in clad, multiple gold rings, a few straggler silver coins, all sorts of jewelry last year from modern parks...hunting simple and shallow and fast with a mid range rig?...

In this perspective...A guy can buy 100 ASE 1 oz coins with 2k worth of clad...so yeah, I supersize with ya..."Wealth is no respector of effort, skill, or intelligence"...Let this rattle your brain! You could buy 333 silver Walker halfs with a years worth of totlot clad!...Thats nearly 30/month! Imagine finding 30 Walker halfs per month! Everyone here would be calling you a damnable liar! Deservedly so! (ForeverRich excluded)

Grip and grin and shallow skim! I know it aint right when a guy can find enough empty beer cans in the ditch to buy two of your Walker Halfs in about a day...thats just the way it is...In fact, just today alone, I have a Barber dimes worth of beer cans emptied out already! :laughing: If I can keep up the pace, I'll have a Seated Halfs worth by Sundown! Fast shallow clad is where the money is me bucko...curbside set outs, wind blown bills, empty cans...you dont need a 'Lab for that work...or kneepads, pinpointer, or a shovel! Or any skill at all! You will burn the same amount of gas or less even, and NO doorknocking!....Tragic Huh!:laughing:

Last edited:
I want paid..lol..I'm a little perturbed since I found that key date walking half..Imagine finding your first valuable coin in better shape than ones selling n eBay,,then finding out fine scratches from being in the ground devalue it big time..I'm pissed.lol
I never got into this Hobbie to get rich or even make money.But when I find something of value I want it to be Valuable..So I think I'm striking silver coins off my list,if they come that's fine.But I'm going to leave private residences alone and go to parks and sports fields lookin for gold.
And to think I bought another Etrac after I found that coin,thinking I'm gonna get all those deep silvers.:laughing:....Id just as soon get a mangled up gold ring ,melts the same wether it's beat up or not.

When I get my taxes back how much for your e trac?

I like to think of the hobby like a great big box of cracker jacks. It's about the excitement and anticipation. To be honest, I do ask myself now and then with certain finds what they're approximate value is, but at the end of the day, the finds go up on the wall, in boxes/cans or in buckets in the garage.

HDD

After all the years digging -

35 years digging has brought me much more than I ever thought it would - in dollars. And I'll have to confess that it's mainly the gold melt that has brought me the values.

Now if one doesn't live in a city that supports lost jewelry then you probably wont get a lot of gold jewelry. Witness the fact that I detected in Tucson for 30 years and was averaging 30 to 40 solid gold a year for the last 10 years - and then we moved to Louisiana now and I have dug 5 pieces of gold in 4 years. So if you don't have heavy wearers of gold then don't get discouraged with guys who post lots of gold in cities that supports lost gold.

I still get excited when I find a wheaty. Good luck to all, Steve in so la

Last edited:
Great! What drives a guy insane is that within a mile from where each of us are sitting, theres probably several Oz of gold lost in the dirt! Maybe More! Bummer is, the coins are under the sidewalks or street, or deep out in the water...or inside some old hoarders wall stacked up in a jar!...Rings can be anywhere! Right across the street in old Mrs Johnson flowerbed! Down at the StopNRob parking lot snowpile!....Anyway...its a real bummer and hard to think about when a guy is hunting metal for pay!...

Thats why cans and clad make this Sport a bit tolerable for me...Simple...easy to hunt, not a lot of thinking involved, etc...at least a guy doesnt have to go home disappointed all the time!:laughing: Every once in a while, BOOM! Big gold or a wad of big Cash!!

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. You might as well sell that Lab to MudPuppy and buy the new Tesoro Mojave. Go after them coins and have fun doing it too. Save them pull tabs. Fill up a 5 gallon bucket with them. Sell them and buy yourself a nice silver coin. There will be light at the end of the tunnel. The hack with them coin dealers. What do they know any ways. They don't care how hard you been working for that coin. They don't care about your back hurting from digging pounds of pull tabs just to find that coin. It is your coin. Put it on that buffing wheel and make it shine like a new one. It is your coin.. KEN

Great! What drives a guy insane is that within a mile from where each of us are sitting, theres probably several Oz of gold lost in the dirt! Maybe More! Bummer is, the coins are under the sidewalks or street, or deep out in the water...or inside some old hoarders wall stacked up in a jar!...Rings can be anywhere! Right across the street in old Mrs Johnson flowerbed! Down at the StopNRob parking lot snowpile!....Anyway...its a real bummer and hard to think about when a guy is hunting metal for pay!...

Thats why cans and clad make this Sport a bit tolerable for me...Simple...easy to hunt, not a lot of thinking involved, etc...at least a guy doesnt have to go home disappointed all the time!:laughing:

I couldn't agree more,I've been thinking about this for a long time coming.I think I could get a eurotek pro,just tear up a playground for a few hours and turn that clad into more silver than I'd find in a month.Gotta think outside the box Somtimes.lol..and any gold or silver jewelry is just a bonus

Sorry for your loss. You might as well sell that Lab to MudPuppy and buy the new Tesoro Mojave. Go after them coins and have fun doing it too. Save them pull tabs. Fill up a 5 gallon bucket with them. Sell them and buy yourself a nice silver coin. There will be light at the end of the tunnel. The hack with them coin dealers. What do they know any ways. They don't care how hard you been working for that coin. They don't care about your back hurting from digging pounds of pull tabs just to find that coin. It is your coin. Put it on that buffing wheel and make it shine like a new one. It is your coin.. KEN

Thats right! That was a great find you should be Proud of! Who knows what that coin has seen? If You wanna make money, dont hunt for old silver...If you happen to find it Cool! Consider it fortuitous and interesting bycatch!

Just go out and find all sorts of hotwheel cars and cast off crapola as fast and easy as you can!...Hell, some guy paid me $60 for a Tungsten ring I found last year! Thats like 3 ASE 1oz rounds!:laughing: 6 totlot Hotwheels at 25cents per is worth a silver dime! If ROI hunting is your game, its a whole nother way of thinking...we got this...!:laughing:

Last edited:
How things turn out.

Started looking for meteorites and devolved into hunting tot lots for rings. But I find more gold in tot lots than I do prospecting and treasure hunting.

Now I did just buy a etrac, as I wanted to up my game is all. Have never sold but one thing I have found. Someday when I die my wife will get a nice surprise of all the gold rings I am hording.

Key date is a key date. I would ask twice what others get just because it was safe in the ground all those years lol.

I took a wire wheel to a LC awhile back,got tired of petting it to get it clean.lol..I don't think mud wants a boat anchor,he does very well with his rigs..Yup,Ive made up my mind,and I'm just getting ez machine and have at it.Brainless fun..The 705 is pretty ez, the rest can go

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, throw it up on the bay lol or just hold onto it and let it collect more value, and dust :laughing: I agree with mud, I sell a lot of what I find. But I'm not in it for the cash, that feeling you get when you see that shiny precious metal in the dirt is unmatched. Then I get home and ask myself, "why hold onto it?". I've got enough junk :lol: it's all about personal preference really. Do what YOU do. Who cares about the rest. HH!

I couldn't agree more,I've been thinking about this for a long time coming.I think I could get a eurotek pro,just tear up a playground for a few hours and turn that clad into more silver than I'd find in a month.Gotta think outside the box Sometimes.lol..and any gold or silver jewelry is just a bonus

"ROI hunting" is a subset skill contained within this Sport...I've written a few posts about it...it comes down to getting as much valuables as fast and easy as possible...Even the rig you drive is considered...Instead of just basic 'mpg', a guy has to factor in 'cost per mile' to operate...When I leave the house, I know exactly what I gotta make to break even for the day based upon 'cost/mile' parameters....I aint driving 100 miles to find a Walker Half...I aint driving 100 miles to find a 4gr 14k either!!

A kid pedaling down to the local park totter on a Huffy with a garage sale Bounty hunter sniping clad and cans is actually more ROI profitable than a 'Labber doing all sorts of research and driving around in an F150!

Hell, even down to the tools! $60 for a Lesche? Big money for a finds pouch? $100 for a G carrot pinpointer? Yougoddabekiddinme! For what? Maybe on the long shot of finding a key date coin you will most likely ruin with the Raptor anyway? We see it all the time!

All a guy needs is an introductory rig, screwdriver and a nail apron!:laughing: You gotta make pay!...and I mean Fast!:laughing: Its more profitable to sit in the house and empty out beer cans all day long! 10c each here in Michigan buddy! Best and easiest money is to simply run a fleet of totters...like here...Yeah..its a subset skill that can be mastered...

FWIW, theres guys up here I call the 'Cannies'... all they do is go out every morning hunting for empty cans!...One old Cannie I talked to pulled 16,000 cans last year! At a dime each..thats some damn good money! Way more than a 'Labber would a made pulling pre 64 Rosies about once per week!...no headphones either!

Attachments

• may 23-15-1.jpg
    may 23-15-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Mud you cannot count the beer cans you personally drain per day as $ from finds .:lol: ,,,,,HH

Mud you cannot count the beer cans you personally drain per day as $ from finds .:lol: ,,,,,HH

Why Not? Its the same concept as a standard 401k retirement policy..? Except I get to do all the pissing and fully guaranteed to at least get a dime back!....:laughing:

I would like to know where I can get 10 cents each

Thats the deposit per can/bottle in Michigan!...you buy a 6pack of whatever canned carbonated drink, the clerk adds on the 10c/can deposit to your tally....So off you go!...example: a case of canned beer is $2.40 cents or thereabouts EMPTY! then, You drive around drinking and toss them out the window like normal so as not to get caught with an 'open container'...Plus, it is troublesome and time consuming running emptys through the machine to get that dime back, so its understandable why they are tossed...Anyway...in Michigan, a freaking DIME PER!

The Cannies come along really early the next morning hunting for empties digging through garbage cans, ditches, party spots, boatramps, and scarf them all up by 6am, they take them down to the can redemption mosheens at the store at 7am and run them through..they get a script with the return tally value..., and then they go buy more beer see?

The Michigan Circle of Life sort of.....Those damn Cannies are way more committed than us!...You know you are locked in when you beat the local Cannies to the Empty Can Parking lot Paydirt! Those damn guys will not miss a empty, and they understand the travel patterns of Humans....Up early and on the prowl! We can learn a lot from the Cannies... I dont think they got their own Forum though...thats why you never hear dick about these guys...

The only reason I found that big wad of money in the picture was I beat the Cannies that day...All committed cannies are alcoholics and stone cold pist by noon...why else would a guy go out hunting 10c empties at 5am??:laughing:

Not like us! Out hunting for old dirt pennys with high end gear?! At least we have a bit of decorum, and a Forum...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom