Hip problems

Ricki7

Forum Supporter
last summer was very hot , i spent a lot of time on our Seadoo , tractor , 4 wheeler , occasional bike ride, car trip . Very little time walking , as a resault having pain walking, also got a groin strain somewhere along the line . After reading info . on the Piriformis muscle , I was convinced sitting brought the problem on . So I started walking the roads , not really helping , soon the nasty weather came , ended that . I went to a chiropractor , he spent 25 min telling me I had to how many more visits I needed , without the first adjustment even started . The look on his face when I shook my head and left made me feel a little better ; did not helped my hip though . My wife's uncle comes over , we're doing some target practice in the back , he sees me limping , offers me his doctors name for hip replacement .
Not for me I read up on Bursitis , just need rest, light exercise . So. I buy this sit bike peddle machine , love it can exercise legs , watch tv , post here , ect .
So peddling , some stretching , I lasted about 2 hr hunting . I'm determined to make the most out this summer , next winter , hip surgery maybe .
Has anyone overcome similar problems that did not need surgery ? HH

For the past 3 years I was having pain down my left side. Chiropractor told me it was my L something and with xyz amount of treatments he could help me. Well moving forward a few months without his treatment I guy at work said I have the bad hip waddle. Went to a Hip Doc that my wife used and sure enough I needed a hip. In late August I got it done and have been to the beach detecting twice already and dirt detecting a couple other times. I feel great and amazed how nice it is to be pain free and enjoy the this great hobby

Thanks Bear , wish I had gone in last Fall . Dummy here keeps thinking just a muscle problem . Glad to hear your getting back out there , lot of history out your way . HH

My left hip bothers me occasionally. If I am working on the tractor a lot getting on and off is when I notice it more. It will come on all of a sudden almost need a cane to walk be like that for a week. Then you go to bed one night hurting like crazy get up the next morning and I'm fine no pain whatsoever.My wife swears up and down it's old age and arthritis catching up:lol:

Last edited:
Bergie that's how it started with me , I'd be fine riding the Seadoo we get to the dock and the leg would give and I'd walk like Chester from Gunsmoke . One day I think it was getting off the tractor my leg gave and I got a groin pull , that not getting better . I read the Piriformis muscle is quite big going around the butt and down the leg , I tried the stretching they call for but the groin did not like it ! Just like your saying I get a good day too, after a couple hours limp home . Like your wife said getting old ! :lol:

Dang, Ricki it does sound like getting old. i can relate to that. If it is a muscle issue have you tried moist heat? That always seems to work well with pulled or strained muscles.

Musicnut , I sleep with a heat blanket seems to help . Like Bergie said good then gives out . One thing I'm aware of as ya get old don't be in a rush ! Ya have to loosen up before lifting or any thing strenuous like snow shouveling . I always use to just jump into doing things . Losing muscle puts a strain ligaments , tendons and joints . I like this sit peddle exerciser , seems to be helping before going on a walk . Best Health to ya , HH

Sitting a lot shortens your quads, which in turn also causes hamstring tightness. Tight hamstrings cause the pelvis to tilt, which causes all kinds of other problems.

When mine gets to hurting I get two grapefruits, cut them in half and boil them until they are just pulp, seeds rind and all. Strain through a cheesecloth, put in a jar and refrigerate. Just take a sip when you go by, taste awful. A old Dr. told my father about this years ago, 60's. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me and a few of my friends. You need to be careful as grapefruit can react negatively with some medicines. If you want to try it, it is cheap and may help. I'll warn you it taste bad, not like what comes in bottles. Some new arthritic medicines have grapefruit in them. Hope this helps someone. joe

Joe, I used to love eating a grapefruit like an orange. Peel it and separate the sections. The trick to keep it from being bitter was to peel the membrane from each section. Messy but worth it. I had to stop eating grapefruit because like you said, it counteracted a maintenance drug I take. I do miss a good sweet ruby red grapefruit.

Sitting a lot shortens your quads, which in turn also causes hamstring tightness. Tight hamstrings cause the pelvis to tilt, which causes all kinds of other problems.

Think you got it right ! Between riding all summer , sitting , took it's toll . I'll know by end of summer if it is reversible with exercise .
ALso thanks Guy's for the grapefruit tips . Getting older you have to get smarter . HH

Just turned 70...Ive known since i turned 60 that i have a slowly deteriorating left hip and was told that probably by the time turned 70 i would need surgery and the metal hip....i decided that exercise wouldnt do anymore damage ...i took up walking and do it as much as i can whenever i can....Somedays its a real chore to walk but i do as much as i can...some days it seems like theres nothing wrong...{wednesday..MDing for 4 hours in tough undergrowth...No Problem}...but there are other days wnen i wind up dragging my left foot home after maybe an hour...I Dont know what makes it GOOD for one day and then Bad for another but i do believe that the exercise ive done has proven the docs wrong about when id be having hip surgery...And ill keep doing it until the foot finally falls off {lol}

Joe that is the part that is hard to figure , going along everything is great Then your dragging leg home . Glad to hear your beating the clock ! ,,,, HH

At 50 y.o. I had an issue with sciatic pain in my right hip/thigh.
I started carrying my wallet in my front pocket, instead of back, as someone suggested.
The pain disappeared after a few days.

Wow, sorry to hear about this Ricki...I hope you get this figured out and let us know what works or what you decide to do...

Thanks Mud , I'll know if all the exercise does not help . Just for those who may not have experienced this . For me and what I think the other guys are describing , is not a sharp needle or cramp type pain. It's more like a Charlie horse in the theigh and butt. So what happens it's like putting a stone in your shoe that causes a limp , so you do all thease funny ways of walking . Step out of a car ( my left hip ) and leg kinda refuses pressure so you almost fall . I would like to know how others would describe their pain . On cold day I tried to run a shot way from the parking lot into a store. About the time I got inside I could not take another step . I grabbed a shopping cart walked with it about 20 min and mostly the pain went away . Not completely . As I asked how ould you describe your pain ? HH

If its any consolation, I've been pulling a certain groin muscle daily since I was about 14...sometimes twice/day with no obvious ill effects! In fact, due to this daily regimen, at 58yrs old I can squeeze a pair of pliers until the handles touch!

Nice firm handshake that is beneficial in the business World or setting 330 Conibears, or selling cars! So yeah...I gotta grip here..40+yrs of pulling a groin muscle daily is healthy and to the plus positive... Put her there buddy! :laughing::laughing:

Mud , pulling that groin muscle for so long , I'm surprised you can still walk .
:lol:

Just wanted to add my best wishes to you and I hope you get this straightened out so you can enjoy your hobbies to the fullest. There's lots more treasures out there to find!

GL&HH. GLASSHOPPER

Back
Top Bottom