Street Tear Out! ***PIC HEAVY*** (Page 5) UPDATED

Just an FYI but it ain't over yet! Got some inside information today that they are going to start tearing up some more bricks the 1st week of March! And also will do another 1/2 block adjoining the previous tear out in early spring of 2018! I'm still hope for a gold piece to show itself!

Just an FYI but it ain't over yet! Got some inside information today that they are going to start tearing up some more bricks the 1st week of March! And also will do another 1/2 block adjoining the previous tear out in early spring of 2018! I'm still hope for a gold piece to show itself!

.....hey, maybe nearby communities might get the idea from them to do tear outs and paving, they could keep you in good hunting for quite a while !

Hoping you can find gold, that would be great !

(but I'm sure there are likely many silvers waiting to be found, and no pull-tabs to worry about !)

I'm not sure what streets your referring too, can you give me the street names? :laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 566
Some more good news today! I was contacted by the editor of a statewide magazine to do an in person interview next week for all of the finds!

Some more good news today! I was contacted by the editor of a statewide magazine to do an in person interview next week for all of the finds!

That's great !!!!!

.....hey, maybe that could lead to the mayor issuing you a permissions letter allowing you free reign to detect on all pubic parks and properties :lol:

Well...the interview went awesome, and to top the day off they were digging a trench (same project as the tear out they will start in march) and turns out that trench ran right over a friggin bottle dump! About 6ft below the surface in the side of the trench I found over 10 in tact bottles tonight, one little one with the cork still in it and some liquid in it as well! 2 of them say H.J. Heinz Pittsburgh, 2 say Crystal Bottling Works Broken Bow Nebr. And 1 says Castoria on one side and Chas H. Fletcher's on the other. The tear out just isn't about coins any more.

Well...the interview went awesome, and to top the day off they were digging a trench (same project as the tear out they will start in march) and turns out that trench ran right over a friggin bottle dump! About 6ft below the surface in the side of the trench I found over 10 in tact bottles tonight, one little one with the cork still in it and some liquid in it as well! 2 of them say H.J. Heinz Pittsburgh, 2 say Crystal Bottling Works Broken Bow Nebr. And 1 says Castoria on one side and Chas H. Fletcher's on the other. The tear out just isn't about coins any more.

Neat, some of those bottles might be valuable collector items !

http://antiques.lovetoknow.com/Antique_Bottles_Price_List

https://sha.org/bottle/

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/hall-of-fame/view/historic-glass-bottle-identification

Hey, this forum can be friendly to finding old bottles too as well as metal stuff,
after all some bottles might be part metal with a metal cap or maybe possibly a metal base ? :lol:

nice! The one with the corner marks is a medical bottle so it would have held some type of medicine (hence the graduation marks). The straight side with large mouth remind me of olive jars.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Any help on these would be appreciated. I feel like the Red Cross one could be $$

digbottle.gif

Neat looking bottles ! (my wife would have a fit if I didn't cover the car seats before putting stuff like that on them though :lol:)

I was searching online and found a bottle on ebay for $24.50 that had "Red Cross" on the bottom like yours does -
(not sure but maybe it could be worth more than that ?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/old-RARE-RED-CROSS-PHARMACY-Bottle-7-ounce-drugstore-bottle-/112307347904?hash=item1a260a21c0:g:CR8AAOSwUsJYVto~

I just found another one with "Red Cross" on the bottom, this one is listed for $50.00 -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-1890s-MEDICINE-BOTTLE-W-F-THOMISON-DRUGGIST-DAYTON-TENN-RED-CROSS-BOTTOM-/272538080970?hash=item3f748916ca:g:~E0AAOSwCfdXpSL9

.....maybe it could be worth even more ?

Last edited:
Was reading through this thread, and recalled dropping my daughter off for college in Salina, KS last fall. Some streets there were paved in bricks, so I was able to visualize what you were digging under. This was a great thread, so thanks for sharing your good fortune!

Just a quick update. Because of the bottle dump, the contractors from the job were taking core samples yesterday to see how extensive the dump is. So far it's looking like they will have to take out a substantial amount of dirt (like a 10 ft deep, 30ft wide, block long swath) so i'm hoping they tear out all the bricks before they do that and i have at least a little window to detect! Looking like the first of April when they will start. Fingers crossed it's a honey hole!

Just a quick update. Because of the bottle dump, the contractors from the job were taking core samples yesterday to see how extensive the dump is. So far it's looking like they will have to take out a substantial amount of dirt (like a 10 ft deep, 30ft wide, block long swath) so i'm hoping they tear out all the bricks before they do that and i have at least a little window to detect! Looking like the first of April when they will start. Fingers crossed it's a honey hole!

Sounds great !!!!

Not sure how fast they work, but maybe there might be a window to detect during their lunch break so you don't miss something, then again after they quit for the day. (just have to hope they don't dig the same day they take the bricks out) I wonder if the dirt they dig might be worth sifting thru if you have access to where they dump it.

talked to the foreman of the project the other day. He said they will have to take out a 15ft deep block long trench to get all of the dump out. I asked him when they are going to start and he said it might be towards the end of next week depending on weather. I'm just not so patiently waiting....only because i got so spoiled last year with the other portion of the tear out!

Back
Top Bottom