Yesterdays trip.....ugh rawhhhhhhh!

olddude

I've been fighting the heat, ticks and thick brush for the past several days and mostly finding those crazy looking bullets I have never seen before along with other types of confederate bullets. The day before yesterday I found my first button and as it was getting late I decided to call it quits with that. I figured it would be just another crusty ol eagle button so at that point I wasn't too excited about it. I mean, don't get me wrong cause these days any ol button is a pretty good find but I already have a number of them so the really big thrill up the leg thing is not as intense as it used to be with those.

I got home and didn't even take it out of my bag I just stripped down and headed to the shower to get today's collection of flesh eating vermin off my body while there was still enough left to get up the stairs. The next day I got up for my morning coffee and with cup in hand I headed out to the garage to check out my goodie bag to see what was there. I was almost like a kid again heading down stairs to find my Easter basket to see what the Easter bunny had left for me.

Cool!, a new bullet sort of like the ones I found earlier but it only had 3 rings rather than 4 like the others, a few more Gardner's, several of the other 3 ring bullets like I have been finding there and a bunch of really banged up bullets that had found their way into that hard clay bank. I opened my button jar and pulled out the button to see what it was but it had so much junk encrusted on it I could not tell what it was. It seemed a lot heavier than most eagle buttons but I figured it was all the junk piled up on it so I still wasn't too excited about it. I started reading up on how to properly clean something like this because this wasn't just the normal dirt this stuff was really caked on. I used to just brush them under warn water until they came clean but I have been reading lately that is not the best way to do it and yes I do have a number of what would have been nice New York and eagle buttons for the display case but before I was done they were in 3 or 4 pieces.

I tried lightly scraping the face with a tooth pick to get the loose stuff off and after awhile I got down to the meat and a S popped out at me. I knew right then this was no eagle button so I decided to read up a little more and came across a page where someone was using Naval Jelly to melt away the corrosion so I headed off to the hardware store to pick up some.

When I got back I ran upstairs to get started. I put it on the face and let it sit for a minute or two then started rubbing a small area of the face with a tooth pick and after about an hour low in behold once it was rinsed off and dried there before me was a big ol star in the middle. I got on the internet to look up what it might be and before long I was looking at my very own button from the Loan Star State of Texas. I couldn't believe it. I don't have many state buttons so that was really something but for it to be from a state so far away and one that was really more of a supply state for the South than anything else was unbelievable.

It's not perfect because it did have a boo boo on the face but after several hours of work I got it to where you can make out what it is. I'm afraid to try an clean it much more because of what might happen so I may just preserve it the way it is. But if anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears.

Yesterday, I couldn't wait for the sun to start heading toward the western sky so it would cool off enough to make the trip through the woods to my little honey hole but finally, hot or not I was soaked down with deep woods off, had my go bag packed with 2 water bottles, spare batteries, flash lights and other important stuff and I was off again. I have been coming up to the site from a different direction each time so I can hunt up to the spot in order to cover the whole area. I usually try to give it about a half hour of general searching and if I don't find anything I head on in. There is a lot of trash in the area and yesterday I came in from the back side where there is a really big trash pile that has been scattered out over several acres and I started picking up bullets and some modern coins but it was taking too long to sort through all the junk so I decided to head on over to that hill top before it got too late. I wanted to give that area that I found that button a really good going over but once I got close I started to dig bullets one after another and it was almost dark before I finally made it over to the place I found the button. It's really thick right there and hard to hunt even in good light but after digging several more bullets and a couple junk items it was so dark I was having trouble picking my way around. I was feeling my way along when I got a really nice tone right in the middle of a clump of briars and after kicking some of the loose stuff off I got down to business, pin pointed the target and made my incision around the spot. Most of the stuff here is either right on the top, just below the root mat if it is light weight but some of the bullets have been down in the clay a foot or more so I first make a clean cut all the way around a target then try to remove the top layer so I can place it back over the hole when I'm done. Most times it comes right off in a nice neat piece but sometimes the roots just wont budge and you have to rip the whole thing apart. This time the mat pulled right off and as I pulled it off to sit aside even in the pitch dark night I saw it. It wasn't bright and shiny but the way it was laying there what light there was from the sky was reflecting off this little horn like a Hollywood spotlight. Even in the dark I knew in an instant what it was but I still couldn't believe it. It's not perfect either because one end is bent back over toward the center but its my little horn and it's the prettiest thing this old fart had seen all day. Shortly after that I decided to call it a day and head back to the ranch to figure out how to clean it and decide on weather to try and straighten it out or leave it like it is. I'll probably leave it once it's cleaned just like it came out of the hole.

I had posted some bullets on the ID page but someone said I should put it here if I needed help with finding out what these strange bullets are that I have been finding so I'll post a link to my other thread in hopes someone knows what they may be. Thanks!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=155673

Attachments

• DSC02745.jpg
    DSC02745.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 848
  • DSC02755.jpg
    DSC02755.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 847
  • DSC02756.jpg
    DSC02756.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 851
  • DSC02759.jpg
    DSC02759.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 857
  • DSC02752.jpg
    DSC02752.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 878
WOW! Amazing finds. Congrats! I can't help with the strange bullets, sorry. Buttons are my favorite relic to find. In my experience, Naval Jelly works the best of gold gilted buttons. I use the same process every time when cleaning my buttons; dry brush with toothpick, soak in ammonia for a few minutes then brush and repeat until the caked on gunk starts to break away, then if it's gilted, I try the naval jelly to finish it off. Hope this helps, that's one heck of a button find my friend! :neat::tiphat:

Oh, I meant to ask where you're located. Noticed you're new here. Welcome to the forum! -Wolf

Welcome to the Forum!
Not sure on the bullets, but they look neat.
That button looks like it is in Great shape! Take your time and clean it up with very light brushing and soaking in ammonia for a minute or 2, rinse and more light bushing.
Congrats on the finds!

Bullets

As to the bullets, the one in the middle may be period to Civil War. The ones on the left and right, however, are modern pistol bullets. I have the same basic mold for both my .45 and my .38

Don't Say Ugh! Yet

Wow!

You dug a Texas State Seal button.

After you mildly clean it, you'll see TEXAS around the outer face of the button. I can barely see it now.

Just an FYI but depending on the shape, TEXAS buttons can go towards a grand and over $$$$$. I can't tell by the backmark but if it's civil war period or pre-war......you'll be in the house.

Nice!

I've never seen those type of bullets before (left and right)... know they had tons of types and made their own just never seen anyone find those ones. neat find

Btw

BTW, Sorry to say but the bullets are not civil war period and are late.

However, the button makes my legs weak.....fingers crossed on the backmark.

Wow!

You dug a Texas State Seal button.

After you mildly clean it, you'll see TEXAS around the outer face of the button. I can bearly see it now.

Just an FYI but depending on the shape, TEXAS buttons can go towards a grand and over $$$$$. I can't tell by the backmark but if it's civil war period or pre-war......you'll be in the house.

Nice!

The dirt in this area is awful and is really hard on buttons. Heck, even some of the bullets are eaten up. I dug several today and the dirt around them....a greyish clay like soil is so hard that when I popped them out of the ground most of the white powder like stuff stayed stuck to the dirt in a perfect shape where the bullet was laying. I'm afraid to mess with this button anymore because as I was working on trying to get the benchmark to show up I screwed up and made a small hole. I did get it clean enough to see that it says New Orleans so I'm not going to mess with it any more, the crusty buildup is just too deep. What is the best thing to put on it to preserve it or protect it from going down any further?

Yesterday when I came in I was dehydrated and worn clean out. I got up at 4:30 AM, I just couldn't sleep so I got up and had a cup or two, planed my adventure and was out the door at 6:00. I figured I could get in 4 or 5 hours before it got too hot but I lost all track of time and before I knew it it was 5:30. The trip back through the thick woods was harder than usual and I had to stop a couple times to rest before carrying on. I keep forgetting I'm 65 years old and not a young buck anymore. I dropped my machine in the corner, stripped to my skivies, picked up my camera and snapped a couple pictures of the days catch then hit the shower to scrape the bugs off.

I found a couple flat buttons one of which has a benchmark but I can't make it out the other is larger and I could not see anything on that one. I found a couple late coins a lot of junk and then this other thing. It seems to be brass and round in shape. It has a number of points sticking out the back like they may have held something in place. Maybe somebody here knows what it is or has seen something like it before.

I found about 20 lbs of lead and some of these were different also. I'm adding a few pictures of today's find for you guys to check out. I also added a pic of a few of my new things in their new resting place. I went ahead and straightened out the bugle, I was afraid it would break off but it was solid enough to bend back almost like it originally was and looks better this way. Normally I like to keep things like they came out of the ground but I couldn't help but try to straighten it out a little. I put all these things together because they all came out of the ground within a few feet of each other.

Attachments

• DSC02766.jpg
    DSC02766.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 693
  • DSC02761.jpg
    DSC02761.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 695
  • DSC02762.jpg
    DSC02762.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 758
  • DSC02760.jpg
    DSC02760.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 691
  • DSC02764.jpg
    DSC02764.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 694
  • DSC02767.jpg
    DSC02767.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 690
  • DSC02768.jpg
    DSC02768.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 685
  • DSC02769.jpg
    DSC02769.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 698
  • DSC02770.jpg
    DSC02770.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 695
  • DSC02765.jpg
    DSC02765.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 698
Wow you've hit a honey hole! Nice finds. Some of those bullets on the table look very interesting. Not sure on that brass, I though some sort of wreath at fist, but I don't think so.

Looks like you're doing just fine for 65 my friend! I'm not much of a woods hunter during the summer time. Watch out for those creepy crawlers! Happy Hunting!

Nice button:cool: I also noticed in your pile of bullets some Garibaldi bullets! These are very hard to find and show up very seldom but when they do you can bet most of them came from a confederates pouch or rifle. They are Italian.

Yeah, man, congrat's on a lot of digs!

I too find almost 200 years of fired ordinance, in the forests around here. There were a lot of different "turn of the century" bullets and they give off the same readings as CW era lead.

Can get really frustrating.

As to the bullets, the one in the middle may be period to Civil War. The ones on the left and right, however, are modern pistol bullets. I have the same basic mold for both my .45 and my .38

You are probably right about those bullets. I suspected that, when I first saw them but after digging so many in that spot along with the other stuff I was digging I wasn't sure. Then the fact I was finding drops mixed in with the fired rounds just like the know civil war relics I was finding I really wasn't sure what I had. They all measure out at around 58 cal and one thing is for sure it takes 70 to 75 years for them to form that nice white film on them so they are old enough in my book to be good enough to fill up and old bottle to sit on a book shelf or table.

Yeah, man, congrat's on a lot of digs!

I too find almost 200 years of fired ordinance, in the forests around here. There were a lot of different "turn of the century" bullets and they give off the same readings as CW era lead.

Can get really frustrating.

Yeah especially around here cause Va is where it all started and spread to the rest of the country from. There are many Revolutionary war sites close by and people have been gathering their food from these woods since Pocahontas and John Rolfe were sneaking around in the bushes. Old spent shell cases and shotgun brass is just part of the mystery of relic hunting, you never know what's lurking below the root mat and if you tune out the shotgun cases you also weed out the buttons and a lot of other stuff too. Frustrating YES, but that's why we make the big bucks we do..LOL digging this stuff up. FYI, I've never sold the first relic and I take great pride at being the junk and trash collector of the woods in my area.:D

Back
Top Bottom