First day with my At Pro

GIGS is 90X

I just got my At Pro this past Saturday and used it in my backyard on Sunday. I live on Long Island, New York. My house was built in the early fifties. It appears that the orginal owner disliked garbage cans and burried everything in the back yard. I found bathroom tile, copper pipe, attenna wire, foil and bolts. What I noticed is that as I was swinging the coil at a signal it would go from 40 to 80 in the span of 8 inches or so. From your experience is that normal. I am using the 8x5 coil and in zero pro mode. I also noticed that I had gotten a reading of 80 and depth of 6 inches. I then used the pinpoint feature and when I did so the depth changed to 2 inches, what is going on?

I would try a park or your front yard. Unfortunatley, It was common practice to bury garbage from the construction of a house. My house was built in '68, and I found paint cans, bits of flashing and ductwork buried in the clay before landscaping was done. I dug it all up so I could have clean "testing grounds" close by.

I find on most detectors, foil or balls of wire will give readings that jump around.
Also double targets also do the same. Drop some coins,rings,pulltabs and bottlecaps to learn their readings. Coins usually quite constant. I sweep 90 degrees to the sweeps that jump around to see any change.

I would start in standard mode to learn your detector. This may irk the loyal AT Pro guys, but I think you should know, there are a few posts regarding AT Pro owners who found out they have a defective early build that made false noise when their coil hit a blade of grass or at the end of their sweeping motion. Other times it would only detect huge targets and miss coins. (I constantly dropped coins to test that the detector was working. Sometimes it wasn't)
Lastly the detector would start dinging wildly like a slot machine jackpot.
I experienced all 3 of these symptoms within my first 10 days with an AT Pro. I can't help but be jaded that the manufacturer didn't properly test the first batches and then neglect to recall the bad machines from sellers shelves when a known issue has been around for over a year. I love my other Garret products.

I have to agree with hydroman.
Run on Standard coins real slow when you get that bell tone go to Pro zero and listen to that sound. that is the easiest way to learn. It takes a little time to get use to it, but, when you do you won't believe what it can do. GOOD LUCK.

I would try a park or your front yard. Unfortunatley, It was common practice to bury garbage from the construction of a house. My house was built in '68, and I found paint cans, bits of flashing and ductwork buried in the clay before landscaping was done. I dug it all up so I could have clean "testing grounds" close by.

I find on most detectors, foil or balls of wire will give readings that jump around.
Also double targets also do the same. Drop some coins,rings,pulltabs and bottlecaps to learn their readings. Coins usually quite constant. I sweep 90 degrees to the sweeps that jump around to see any change.

I would start in standard mode to learn your detector. This may irk the loyal AT Pro guys, but I think you should know, there are a few posts regarding AT Pro owners who found out they have a defective early build that made false noise when their coil hit a blade of grass or at the end of their sweeping motion. Other times it would only detect huge targets and miss coins. (I constantly dropped coins to test that the detector was working. Sometimes it wasn't)
Lastly the detector would start dinging wildly like a slot machine jackpot.
I experienced all 3 of these symptoms within my first 10 days with an AT Pro. I can't help but be jaded that the manufacturer didn't properly test the first batches and then neglect to recall the bad machines from sellers shelves when a known issue has been around for over a year. I love my other Garret products.

Starting in STD mode isn't the best way to go. Starting in Pro mode even though, hard, makes it easier to get used to, and attunes your ears faster. Hydroman, we ALL know you had a dud detector, and I really don't feel like reading yet another post mentioning its failings and a Fishers praisings. :roll::roll::roll:

The first generation AT Pro leaked and falsed. Not so with the second. All retailers now stock the second generation versions and they work well. The second gens have the cable clamp system which makes them easy to identify.

The Pro will false under EMI radiation. Its solved by turning down your sensitivity a few bars. If you hear a few crackly notes that seem to be everywhere, its EMI.

Luckily, Garrett may have messed up with the first gen, but the second gens have gone above and beyond many's expectations, excluding hyrdoman's since he hasn't tried one yet (obviously) :laughing::laughing:

Learn the tones, and you will fall in love with the AT Pro. Also, test gardens are NOT accurate and have been known to be double edged swords.

I won't dignify Parkdude's hostility with a response. I brought forth my AT Pro's issues so you can see if you share the same symptoms. The falsing I experienced had nothing to do with EMI, it was motion related likely an intermittant short or open in the coil or electronic box that was triggers by a subtle change in motion.

I'll just throw in that there were problems with the first gen AT-Pro's. But Hydroman he just bought his. As long as it is new, then it is a second gen and won't have these problems. The second gen's have been out for quite a while yet and I can't say that I've heard anything bad about them.

Parkdude--He didn't mention Fisher this time. ;)

OP--I would recommend starting in Pro mode. It will take a few weeks of hunting to learn, but after that, you are golden. Have you used any other detectors before? If so which ones so we can better understand your situation.

So I don't know whether to cry or laugh....lol. Hydroman and I had some heated discussions which ended with him on an ignore list, so no need to worry there.

My "hostility" as you call it though, simply isn't. Everyone has noticed how Hydroman pushed Fishers and bashed Garretts. Hyrdoman admitted to me in pms that he had a 1st gen and that it was a lemon. He also admitted he didn't even take the time to have Garrett CS fix it. LOL. Shows truly how he cares about his detecting.

rfjuice, I'm actually glad he didn't push Fisher again :) But I'm warning you, if I see another one of his copy and paste posts, I will most definetely respond :)

schill, I don't know whether your complimenting me or actually making fun. Either way I don't really care. Yes, I know alot about my machine because I use it a lot and read a lot. No, my age should have nothing to do with my knowledge. Lastly, your post doesn't mean anything to me as I didn't fall for your magic coin tumbling trick. LOL.

The target separation, especially with the 5X8 is real good and using Pro mode will allow you to separate what is probably two targets of different types within close proximity. Put a piece of iron and a coin within a few inches of each other. You'll be able to hear the difference. Using Pro will let you hear not only the different tones for each target, but separate them by the depth. After some time with the AT Pro, you'll learn to hear those bottle caps that it loves so much and quit getting excited every time one dings! HH and good luck!

I agree, learn the machine in Pro mode. It's worth it. BTW, my backyard is exactly like yours. Do yourself a favor and go through the paces in a park. At least you learn what coins sound like. Once you have it down, return to your yard. It'll be more rewarding and less frustrating then.

I agree, learn the machine in Pro mode. It's worth it. BTW, my backyard is exactly like yours. Do yourself a favor and go through the paces in a park. At least you learn what coins sound like. Once you have it down, return to your yard. It'll be more rewarding and less frustrating then.

I agree, after I purchased my first detector and dug up a can in my yard, I gave up the hobby. Eventually, I picked it back up and tried again, I'm glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom