Detector short circuiting..

Lightningjack

Forum Supporter
A while back I posted about my Minelab Explorer 2 having a problem with the batteries, If you didn't read my earlier post I went detecting sometime ago & my battery holder & batteries pretty much melted in my hand...sovuser was nice enough to send me a spare battery holder he had (Thanks again for that) :D..After I received it The machine seem to work fine until I turned on my sunray probe & the battery meter dropped down half way, I shut the sunray off then the battery level went back up, I turned the sunray off and on a couple times to make sure & the battery meter dropped every time..Well today I unhooked the sunray probe & now when I hit the pinpoint button on my detector the battery meter drops..:?:, I guess it wasn't the sunray after all..Anyone ever had a problem like this, I guess it's short circuiting somewhere.

I had a similar problem once on one of my Explorers. One of the coil wire coax cables was rubbed through inside the control housing and shorting onto the PC board when you pressed on any of the buttons and put pressure on the face of the control panel.

Had to open the control panel.
Re-route the coil coax cable.
Put a big dab of silicone sealer over the rubbed through spot on the cable.
Let it cure and re-assembled it.

No more problems to date.

Just 4 screws to remove and take a peak. A lot cheaper and quicker than a trip to Minelab in Nevada!

Jeff

I had a similar problem once on one of my Explorers. One of the coil wire coax cables was rubbed through inside the control housing and shorting onto the PC board when you pressed on any of the buttons and put pressure on the face of the control panel.

Had to open the control panel.
Re-route the coil coax cable.
Put a big dab of silicone sealer over the rubbed through spot on the cable.
Let it cure and re-assembled it.

No more problems to date.

Just 4 screws to remove and take a peak. A lot cheaper and quicker than a trip to Minelab in Nevada!

Jeff

I'll take the screws off & take a look, Guess it can't hurt!! it's not under warrany or anything so I have nothing to lose..:D Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom