Too many targets

Oldbill

Forum Supporter
I drove to a forest trailhead today just to get the new Minelab off my boring lawn. Not a great choice, at least with the 9-inch concentric coil. This is a remote, unpaved and muddy in winter parking area, and it seems people use it more for target practice and the consumption of malt beverages than as a mere place to park while hiking. I might get as many as 30 signals with each sweep -- most of them null or blanks, but many of them crackling tones. I dug a bunch of bottle caps, bullets, .22 cases and a recent penny and clad dime. I only swept a fraction of the area before giving up with target overload. That said, I do hope to go back with a DD coil, as there surely must be a lot of coins and goodies among all the caps and cases.

Well I started out doing camping sites in N.Az so I know your pain. My Etrac on some of them sounded musical at many of them. But it was the way I learned the signals for the machine. One thing it taught me is most people are pigs anymore when they get out to nature. The double DD coil may help some but a smaller DD coil would be better. Also slowing the swing down helps to isolated the different targets.

Joves, I suspect you're right about this being a learning opportunity. I have an Xterra 705 -- and probably only about 10 hours on it. I found it hard, even when swinging slowly, to isolate a stable tone and numbers. Same for you?

Bill, there are just some of those places out there that are like that. I've been to parks that had BIG signs posted everywhere that said "NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ALLOWED" that had so many steel beercaps on/in the ground that they were almost like gravel footing. Places like that are impossible to detect in with a large concentric coil. A DD of any size will be an improvement, and a smaller DD will do best. Beyond that, it's all patience, determination, and luck.

At sites like that, I personally don't care which machine I'm runnng, I've got a DD on it. And I DISC the junk, but pay attention to the null. If it signals a nulled blip I pay little attention. But if it's a larger object being nulled, I'll work my way around it's perimeter swinging the edge of the search pattern (not the tip of it) from outside to the null, so if there is a good target that can be seen anywhere around it before hitting the null, I'll find it. If you just keep working past it (instead of going all the way around it) you risk the coil registering the null before it gets to the good object, and you'll never know it's there.

As easily as good targets can be masked by minimal junk, there is often a lot of good stuff to be found at those sites. The problem is getting past the trash. In some cases, they can be sorted out of the trash with a coil that separates well. But in other cases, the only way to score big is to get the trash out of the way. It's a thankless tedious job, but can be rewarding if you're persistant.

I usually run my 705 in AM most places, but sites like that will have you ready for the nuthouse or so mentally fatigued after a short while, that realisticly a little DISC can save your sanity.

I had a yard like that, so much slag around it was really hard to hunt...You should be able to narrow in to the point you are just barely wiggling the coil over the interesting sounding target.... 705 is a capable machine....

O'Bill

Happy hear your new MD arrived :clapping:

If you want more "practice" join me at my local 'Quacker tail-gateing' parking lot :laughing:
(wish bottle caps were worth same as a silver quarters)

HH

(will be at Fern Ridge all weekend,... but racing my boat)

:boat:

If I had a small cam, I'd shoot a clip of what I'm talking about. Longhair, great advice on the DD coil. In fact, I just ordered the 6-inch HF DD for my 705 fro Larry at NWI. Will rush that puppy back up to the trailhead when it arrives next week.
Daysailer: Hope you are having better weather in Eugene than we are down here in the Rogue Valley. Half an inch last night, and raining hard, with fresh snow above about 4,000.
:roll:
I have a fire going in the fireplace and it is almost June, for cryin' out loud.
Go Ducks!

Joves, I suspect you're right about this being a learning opportunity. I have an Xterra 705 -- and probably only about 10 hours on it. I found it hard, even when swinging slowly, to isolate a stable tone and numbers. Same for you?
Not so much with the Etrac but I had to go to almost a dead stop to isolate them.

Back
Top Bottom