First metal detector and I’m hooked

Piratenick

New member to the group from Mobile, AL. Coolest find to date is a 1965 Dime. Other than that and other clad I’m just a pop top prince trying to make it in this canslaw world. If anyone has any advise on researching new spots in Mobile I’m all ears. I’ve been using a few maps and overlaying old Topo maps to current satellite imagery trying to find some old abandoned houses to hunt.

Welcome from Atlanta

Thanks for your service brother. Got my current dog from Mobile. Was a 14 hour round trip but worth it.

Hit the beaches, wet sand and dry sand. on dry sand find the towel line and hunt it. You can hunt year round down there in mobile. Use historic aerials to find old home sites. Your area should have some 1800's homes that are now gone and maybe the site can still be hunted. Look at old aerial photos and old topo maps to find them by comparing to current maps. That is what historic aerials does best. Historic aerials is free or paid. free you still have to overlook the watermarks but that has never really hindered me. just zoom in or out and what you are looking for appear as the water mark moves.

HH

Welcome! You live in an area full of Old Dirt! I remember theres a campground North of the I65 causeway on the west side...also theres a park on the southside of the I65 causeway and to the west a little in some small old town...

I was down there for business several years ago and of course brought my rigs along...after I got my job done at some chemical plant, I hunted all the way back North to Memphis going through old towns on the backroads..

Then I got back on the interstate and went up into Indiana and hunted a lot of parks in old towns off the I65 interstate on my way home...

Then I redeemed all the dirty clad into fresh coins at the Rest Stop Vending machines..simply by depositing them and instead of making a purchase, I pushed the 'coin return' button.

So yeah, take a moment to use the satellite image of the towns and areas around you....zoom around on your computer and set up a route to some likely looking spots and go see what your rig is telling you...Its a lot of fun to hunt via the satellite,..

You can evaluate a town based upon its layout and sizes of the yards etc. via the satellite. Find the old parks, find the old swimming holes, all sorts of things...sort of like a Vulture...!:laughing:

This is what happens when you get "Hooked!" You dont look at the Earth the same way anymore!

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Look forward learning a few things. Trying to figure this forum thing out. I don’t have any notifications anywhere that I could find? I’m having to manually click the post and others that I’ve commented on to see if anyone has replied.

Thanks for your service brother. Got my current dog from Mobile. Was a 14 hour round trip but worth it.

Hit the beaches, wet sand and dry sand. on dry sand find the towel line and hunt it. You can hunt year round down there in mobile. Use historic aerials to find old home sites. Your area should have some 1800's homes that are now gone and maybe the site can still be hunted. Look at old aerial photos and old topo maps to find them by comparing to current maps. That is what historic aerials does best. Historic aerials is free or paid. free you still have to overlook the watermarks but that has never really hindered me. just zoom in or out and what you are looking for appear as the water mark moves.

HH
Yeah I plan on hitting the beaches but they have everybody going there to find stuff trying to get a little more off the beaten path so to speak. But I will definitely be going to the beach and looking especially after a storm. We have a lot of 1800’s homes that are still standing but it’s a little intimidating knocking on a mansion door and asking to detect. The Topo maps don’t show homes as you get into more densely populated areas. Every old map I try to zoom in on or get a closer look at gets so fuzzy I can read a d@mn thing. I’ve tried a few different websites and looked up a few links on here, some were dead links though. I went to the local history museum yesterday but no luck on maps a few old pics that helped some. Going to hit an old farm house from the 50’s today and see what I get.

Welcome! You live in an area full of Old Dirt! I remember theres a campground North of the I65 causeway on the west side...also theres a park on the southside of the I65 causeway and to the west a little in some small old town..

Then I got back on the interstate and went up into Indiana and hunted a lot of parks in old towns off the I65 interstate on my way home...

You can evaluate a town based upon its layout and sizes of the yards etc. via the satellite. Find the old parks, find the old swimming holes, all sorts of things..!

Yeah I know the areas you are talking about the town is Spanish Fort which by the name alone makes one think of some buried Spanish gold haha. I’ve been a little hesitant on metal detecting parks just because I’m worried what the police might say and the legality of it is a coin toss. I’m gonna go to a few state parks and ask for permission to detect but not sure who to go to with the city parks?

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Look forward learning a few things. Trying to figure this forum thing out. I don’t have any notifications anywhere that I could find? I’m having to manually click the post and others that I’ve commented on to see if anyone has replied.

On the top left of the page click on the button that says "User CP". That will bring you to your control panel and show you threads with new replys as well as your settings toolbar. :D

Welcome! You live in an area full of Old Dirt! I remember theres a campground North of the I65 causeway on the west side...also theres a park on the southside of the I65 causeway and to the west a little in some small old town..

You can evaluate a town based upon its layout and sizes of the yards etc. via the satellite. Find the old parks, find the old swimming holes, all sorts of things..!

Yeah I know the areas you are talking about the town is Spanish Fort which by the name alone makes one think of some buried Spanish gold haha. I’ve been a little hesitant on metal detecting parks just because I’m worried what the police might say and the legality of it is a coin toss. I’m gonna go to a few state parks and ask for permission to detect but not sure who to go to with the city parks?

Back
Top Bottom