Pin pointer

Beachscanner

In Memory Of
I have not used a pin pointer in my years of detecting. Today I went on ebay and found the price range to be very large. Has anyone ever tried these cheap, I'm guessing knock-offs and if so how did they work out?

I have not used a pin pointer in my years of detecting. Today I went on ebay and found the price range to be very large. Has anyone ever tried these cheap, I'm guessing knock-offs and if so how did they work out?[/QUOTE

6 words sums it up pretty much

"You get what you pay for"

Cheapies are pretty much worthless and aren't worth the frustration.. this I know from experience.

Garrett Carrot is the way to go.

I don’t know about the cheap ones but I rely on the Garrett carrot a lot, cuts down on retrieval time a lot, for me anyway.

I have one by Detenix and although I haven't used it much I think it to be good quality. My dirt hunting has gone down considerably since my son Eagled out of Scouting and I don't camp as much. I don't use it at the beach.

Don't do it, especially if you plan on using it at the beach. I can't imagine those things will hold up in ideal conditions, let alone in a salt environment. I only use mine in the dark.

Some of the Old guys dont use a pinpointer...Unneeded on the beach and unneccesary on the dirt....just one more thing to worry about..

All a guy has to have for the beach is a scoop and a screwdriver on the dirt...I can appreciate their function, but I dont have one...But I'm a minimalist...the least amount of gear for the fastest ROI...

I dont even have Onstar or GPS and seem to find my way home even...!

I can tell you about 1 cheap 1... do not bother with the harbor freight lol

I swear by my carrot but my dad got the Vulcan (similar price) in a package with his at pro from kco and it does ok but not as good as my Garrett. I know some people prefer the whites since it detects differently.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

I have not used a pin pointer in my years of detecting. Today I went on ebay and found the price range to be very large. Has anyone ever tried these cheap, I'm guessing knock-offs and if so how did they work out?
I use a Deteknix XPointer Pro it works great, waterproof to 200ft, I use it with my Equinox in parks and beach’s and have snorkeled with it, absolutely no problem’s, I think it’s a great pin pointer.

I have one by Detenix and although I haven't used it much I think it to be good quality. My dirt hunting has gone down considerably since my son Eagled out of Scouting and I don't camp as much. I don't use it at the beach.

I always carry a Pinpointer when I'm doing anything other than water hunting. But there's times when I think I could use one while SCUBA. I cant tell you about all the little earings I've tracked down because I had the pinpointer.

i had the GP Garrett knockoff and thought it was good till I got the real thing. I can't imagine not having a pinpointer for dirt now.

There really isn't very much $ difference in the price of cheap c rap and a carrot from one of the trusted smaller dealers that advertise here. Do yourself a favor and get the Carrot. Also, fwiw, I'm a Minelab fanboy but sold my ML pinpointer- You wont go wrong with the ML, but I simply think the Carrot is simply better.

Tried the all wasted lots of money even on good name brand. Garrett Carrot is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't go cheap if you want one. You'll hate it. I have a Garrett carrot that I rarely use. It works good but I don't need it. A lot faster for me to dig the target up and scan the soil. Pin pointers are good for manicured lawns that you don't want to mess up too much. I see too many folks wasting their time using a PP.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Some of the Old guys dont use a pinpointer...Unneeded on the beach and unneccesary on the dirt....just one more thing to worry about..

All a guy has to have for the beach is a scoop and a screwdriver on the dirt...I can appreciate their function, but I dont have one...But I'm a minimalist...the least amount of gear for the fastest ROI...

I dont even have Onstar or GPS and seem to find my way home even...!

Makes me wish I had you for a secret santa, and had the funds to send you a Garrett Carrot. When you stop spending time looking for something in the dirt, and retrieve it in 10 seconds or less, you actually up your ROI pretty quickly, Mud... :)

Pinpointers definitely aren't "needed" equipment. They just take a whole lot of time out of the retrieval process on land. In the sand, I agree. I keep mine on my pouch for things I just cannot find in the sand (earrings are notorious for disappearing in a foot swipe). They're also super useful for picking small targets out of black sands, too. that's how I found my 69AD coin off the Tel-Aviv beach. I probably would have given up, without the pin pointer.
Skippy

Makes me wish I had you for a secret santa, and had the funds to send you a Garrett Carrot. When you stop spending time looking for something in the dirt, and retrieve it in 10 seconds or less, you actually up your ROI pretty quickly, Mud... :)

Pinpointers definitely aren't "needed" equipment. They just take a whole lot of time out of the retrieval process on land. In the sand, I agree. I keep mine on my pouch for things I just cannot find in the sand (earrings are notorious for disappearing in a foot swipe). They're also super useful for picking small targets out of black sands, too. that's how I found my 69AD coin off the Tel-Aviv beach. I probably would have given up, without the pin pointer.
Skippy

I know, I know...I understand their function, But hey, I'm rocking well over a 90CPH rate on the dirt as it is without a pinpointer, and I'm finding my share of beach/water gold without one...I think its because I committed to developing the fastest and most efficient retrieval methods..Ping to Pouch.....

You watch the youtube vids...guys diddling around for minutes! first hitting a target, then Xing it with their coil, then using the rigs Pinpoint feature, then kneeling down, fishing around with their handheld, and then digging a plug, then fishing around in the spoil pile for the coin, its a 3" penny...then standing back up..switching off the pinpointer, putting everything away, and then Saying, "This Garrot Carrot is really a time saver!" I'm screaming! "WTH Butters!":laughing:

Its frustrating for me to watch all the wasted ergonomics and unproductive time expended! I'm watching these vids in horror!....I see a guy buying a top shelf over $100 extra product, and no way is it ever gonna pay for itself!...Not where He's hunting, in fact its slowing him down on account of its like a pacifyer...he dont think he can hunt without it....Not everybody is hunting AD coins in Tel Aviv black sand beaches!....

Its really wonderful to free yourself from technology!...Hunt without a pinpointer, Kneepads, dressing light and just stooping and stabbing with a 6" Stanley!...

I've never seen religious Pinpointer users pulling 400+ coin targets per day...Let alone 90CPH!...Yet its quite simple and easy with just a simple screwdriver and a focus on SPEEDY retrieval! Time and Gold wait for nobody! I aint got no time for that!:laughing:

I challenge you hand held PP using tards to start timing yourselves..ping to pouch? Then I challenge you to go hunt for a month without it and come up with your own speedy method, commit yourself to it...Keep careful notes about how fast you can pull and how many per hour without your pinpointer!....Focus on SPEED and looking for the right sites!...

I bet you will be like..."Well chuck Me chilly! I never needed this damned time wasting thing! Thank you Mud!" :laughing:

Pinpointers are The Metal detectorists equivalent of Munchausens syndrome by proxy.....

Last edited:
...I think its because I committed to developing the fastest and most efficient retrieval methods..Ping to Pouch.....

Its frustrating for me to watch all the wasted ergonomics and unproductive time expended! I'm watching these vids in horror!....I see a guy buying a top shelf over $100 extra product, and no way is it ever gonna pay for itself!...Not where He's hunting, in fact its slowing him down on account of its like a pacifyer...he dont think he can hunt without it....Not everybody is hunting AD coins in Tel Aviv black sand beaches!....

Its really wonderful to free yourself from technology!...Hunt without a pinpointer, Kneepads, dressing light and just stooping and stabbing with a 6" Stanley!...

I've never seen religious Pinpointer users pulling 400+ coin targets per day...Let alone 90CPH!...Yet its quite simple and easy with just a simple screwdriver and a focus on SPEEDY retrieval! Time and Gold wait for nobody! I aint got no time for that!:laughing: ...

I bet you will be like..."Well chuck Me chilly! I never needed this damned time wasting thing! Thank you Mud!" :laughing: ...

Pinpointers are The Metal detectorists equivalent of Munchausens syndrome by proxy.....

I agree and your on the money!

"Pinpointers are The Metal detectorists equivalent of Munchausens syndrome by proxy" :laughing:

Pinpointers:

1. I don't continually grab handfuls of dirt and possibly needles, razorblades, etc.

2. I focus on a specific spot inside the hole, where the pinpointer points to, not the lower aimed "hover point" of the coil.

3. I need no gloves. Never have used gloves. Clean-kept equipment, and way better dexterity without gloves.

4. Simply faster finds, dig to dig.

Stage a seeded hunt, half with dirt waving hunters, half with pinpointers. Hunt time one hour. Let's see which side wins.

I had a free bounty hunter pp that came with my F70....It was pretty useless cause it beeped only very near to a coin.

Back
Top Bottom