Crazy... A story of inspiration

pen maker

A little over a year ago, I was lying in my bed one weekend morning when the Ironman triathlon came on. I am quite familiar with this race, having watched it for many years with my dad. Being in a rut in my life, I vowed then to change things up and train for and eventually enter a triathlon.

Sadly, I sat and did nothing instead. A few weeks ago, Guess what was on the T.V. one morning.... Yup, the Ironman again. I felt useless watching these people, some of them MUCH MUCH older than me. An ex convict junkie, A guy with someone elses heart in his chest. Story after story of people overcoming great odds just to live, and now they are in Kona running the most grueling race possible.

This time i made a new promise to myself, with every intention to fulfill my goals. I may never make it to Kona, but if i don't try, i will never know.

I have begun the life altering transformation officially. First, I am quitting smoking. I know it will take me a while just to repair the damage done by smoking, but it is a start. I have started gathering equipment (bike, shoes, etc.) and am planning out my workout schedule.

I am also going to start doing Yoga with my wife (yuk), and some other cross training stuff as well as nutrition studying galore.

I am posting this because i want to maybe inspire someone else to make the changes they have been wanting to make in their own lives. If there is enough interest, I will post updates on my progress.

My plan is to run in a 15 to 20 mile "sprint" triathlon in 18 months. If i like it, or if i do good, I may do a longer one. Wish me luck!!!

Awesome! You can do anything once you set your mind to it. A really inspirational website for this kind of thing is called zenhabits - check it out! Good luck and I for one would be interested in updates. :D

thank you for the super sweet tip and encouragement! That site is going to help me alot, I can already tell! I was skimming through some of the tips and I have been doing alot of these over the last week or two getting built up mentally to start this endeavor. Not even paying attention to what i was doing, I dropped from a pack of smokes a day to a pack every three or four days. My wife pointed it out to me when she had to buy her more cigs and i had plenty.

Friday will be my last day as a slave to the cigarette, if not before then.

My uncle has been a long distance cyclist (100 miles and over races) for years, so i have some advantage there, And really, I am built for this type of activity. 35 yrs old, 6 feet tall, 135 pounds of lean muscle with a sports background. I just have to avoid injury, train hard, and stay focused on the prize (finishing the race).

I have gotten a suprising kick out of reading some of the "couch to triathlon" stuff on the net. It is obvious these writings are geared toward overweight people, so it is kinda funny reading the author tippy toe around the issue of weight. After reading some of this stuff, I feel almost like i should be following an advanced regimen or something.

I am more than slightly excited!

Awesome.....Its all about attitude and perseverance.I have a bit od advice.It would be a good idea to get a day-by-day calender to track all your workouts.I use this one "The complete runner's day-by-day log calender.It helps me keep track of how many miles I run and bike,plus leaves me room to add my weight workouts as well.At the end of each week it has a spot for your total miles that week and a space up top to kkep track of your distance carried forward every week.I have never done a tri but its on my radar.I run half marathons.My biggest goal was to do the disney goofy challenge.Thats a half marathon on one day and then the next day you do a full marathon.So yeah 39.3 miles on foot with a time limit of 10 and a half hours.Good luck and remeber to have a positive outlook.

So, I sit hear in my recliner, watching TV, reading your story, smoking a cigarette. Due to alot of family stress, I started smoking again in September after stopping for over 20 years. You have inspired me. I don't think I will ever try an triathalon, but getting back to the gym might be a good start. I wish you alot of luck and hope you reach your goal. Please keep us posted.

So, I sit hear in my recliner, watching TV, reading your story, smoking a cigarette. Due to alot of family stress, I started smoking again in September after stopping for over 20 years. You have inspired me. I don't think I will ever try an triathalon, but getting back to the gym might be a good start. I wish you alot of luck and hope you reach your goal. Please keep us posted.

That's the great thing about endeavours such as this; they get others thinking about making positive changes. And by posting them online you slowly gather a pool of support that makes it much harder to give up....and much more rewarding when you finally succeed. Good luck boys! :D

I am glad that i have inspired someone else! Maybe together, we can inspire even more people. Imagine how long you could swing that detector next summer if you spend all winter in the gym. You don't have to run a marathon, or even enter in any contest. It is about living a better life. Leaving addictions behind in a cloud of new found ability.

My journey officially starts today. I am going for a walk this afternoon, followed by some old school exercises, pushups, chipups, etc.

But first, I gotta start writing out a workout plan. I am going to push myself to stay at a steady 10% weekly increase across the board. Should be alot of fun!!!

CONGRATS!!!
I quit smoking 6 years ago, and have been working out, running and eating right since.

If you are looking for a good place to track your progress and be with like minded people, hit up bodyspace on bodybuilding.com... it's a "myspace" page for your body n fitness goals and trackers.

Since I started tracking every rep and every set of my workouts, i have been able to see a visual of where I need to improve, you will love it!

EDIT: quitnet.com "can be" beneficial to some people when it comes to quitting cigarettes... Personally I only stuck around there a few days because talking about smoking made me want to smoke...but if you need any help with quitting you can PM me or even call me!

Also, i have some workout schedules if you wanted to use them I can find one for your level :)

YES PLEASE!

I have a sports background, but working out is something that i never really had to bother with. I was always in excellent shape, and excelled in whatever sport i played. I was always the fastest suicide runner, most push ups etc. I am still in good shape due to physical labor, I just gotta shake the bad side effects of the smoking for 15 years. Any workout help nutrition tips or secrets etc would be greatly appreciated!

congratulations on your newfound healthy spirit, good luck with all you do, now if youll excuse me, i need to take a nap, im tired just from scrollin down to read these post :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom