• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Moral Dilema.......Opinons Needed

I don't know you Patton, but I have read a number of posts from you on this forum while lurking on here for some time. In MHO I think the deal was fair and square. You didn't force the kids to give up the coin, you simply asked to buy the coin from him.

He offered you a price and you took him up on the offer.

I think most kids now a days are more 'street smart' than you think. I think if he had known the coin was more valuable than a mere $1.00 he would have asked for more.

The deal was struck, you gave him your card with all the info he needs if he gets into trouble due to his actions. I think your in the clear, and it was a great find. I would have been afraid to offer him more, for fear he would buy cigerettes, or something worse.

It was a fair trade in my book.

And I'm sure your card got lost in the wash, or found its way into the nearest garbage can.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm old school and I forget sometimes how kids are more "street smart" than I was at that age. With the internet, computer, and so many means of getting info, kids today knows what's happening all around them. And I agree with you on the card. I'm sure its a goner.

If I remember the opening post to this thread correctly, the General was catching some grief from his wife, not his own conscience. The male of the species, have a different view on value and fair. Women give us all kinds of grief, when we go out and buy a much needed tool, or piece of equipment, but don't seem to see a problem with spending the same sum getting their hair done, or something hideous to clutter the center of the dinner table (which will end up in the trash, donated, or garage sale in a month).

In all reality, the coin belonged to the store owner, since it was 'found' inside the store, neither the kid, or the General had any legitimate claim to the treasure, so both actually got what they wanted out of it. A kid with $12, can be a dangerous thing, depending on how he used it. The kid found some money, and got to enjoy it, the General scored some silver, everyone was happy, until the wife caught wind of it...

If I remember the opening post to this thread correctly, the General was catching some grief from his wife, not his own conscience. The male of the species, have a different view on value and fair. Women give us all kinds of grief, when we go out and buy a much needed tool, or piece of equipment, but don't seem to see a problem with spending the same sum getting their hair done, or something hideous to clutter the center of the dinner table (which will end up in the trash, donated, or garage sale in a month).

In all reality, the coin belonged to the store owner, since it was 'found' inside the store, neither the kid, or the General had any legitimate claim to the treasure, so both actually got what they wanted out of it. A kid with $12, can be a dangerous thing, depending on how he used it. The kid found some money, and got to enjoy it, the General scored some silver, everyone was happy, until the wife caught wind of it...

Well said sir. And, you are correct. I look for this kid every time I go into the same store. Nada. Thank you HarveyH48 for your post and reminder as to how this all started.

Wow!! You guys are something. Why don't you guys that think it was fair just go up to kids all day and offer to trade 10 pennies for any dollar bills they have. If an adult says he wants $1.00 for a coin that's worth more its no big deal they are older and know better but a 10 year old?? Morally I think it's wrong and I am almost positive it's even illegal. Do you guys really need a 40% silver dollar that bad?? If he was your 10 year old I bet you all would be ready to kill.

BINGO !!!!

Tom, I'm liking you more and more each day :)

Very well put and straight to the point..

Back
Top Bottom