EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS NOW DIAMONDS AND ALSO...nope just diamonds actually

wyoming hunter

Elite Member
so yesterday we were in another town and i found to...diamond like stones..i know that there are many fakes..rinestones, cubic zirconium, etc but all the things online that told me to check if its real seem to point to it being real..it scratched glass, reflects grey light and scrambles letters when on a newspaper. anyone wanna tell me what i got?

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx (1).jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx (1).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 642
  • GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 674
Look for carbon inclusions. If there are none than you either have a cz or a perfect diamond. Carbon is almost always present, it will show up as very small black spots. CZ will do all the things you described.

Another often overlooked way of telling is to examine the edge of the stone. The circular edge is usually frosted on a diamond and the CZ will have a polished look.

Other than these ways of testing you will need a diamond tester.

Get a loupe and look for inclusions like burlbark says. How in the world did you spot these??

It very well may scratch glass and be a cubic zircon. zircon is an 8 on hardness and glass is a 7 where as diamond is a 10. The old scratch glass test was brought about during the age when a fake diamond would be made of glass or a softer substitute.
As been said you will see carbon inclusions on a real diamond especially one that large. You will need a loup to examine it from every facet on the crown and pavillion, usually it doesnt take long to spot carbon.
Nice find regardless.

Moissanite is silicon carbide and cannot really be differentiated from diamond without a tester designed for such a purpose. A gem tester would be your best bet, unless you have a trusted jeweler you can go to for information and testing. RickO

Even glass will scratch glass...

Hope they're real though!

they have those diamond testers at Macy's where they hit the stone with a light and a green light goes on if its real. They usually show you before they sell you something with a real diamond on it. I bet you can just ask them to scan it and they will do it. Im sure its not 100% proof, but it will at least get you somewhere.

I had some "diamonds" floating round my house for years. Finally, I took em to a local jeweler and they tested them with their little electronic tester and I was proved wrong.

I used to test stones quite often for people without charge when I sold jewelry. I'll bet most any jeweler would be willing to do the same. We had a diamond and a moissanite tester to rule out between the two. Also, a trick is that when looking from the right angle, moissanite creates a double refraction. The back facets look doubled when looking through it! Good luck.

I would say let a woman hold them for a minute or two,if you dont get them back you now know they were real.ha ha. get em tested

Go to costco!!!!!

They have thermal testers for both real and cz stones. If you do not have a membership borrow a friends. I have taken all my real stone finds there and they are usually as curious to see if they are real after hearing how I found them. I have never been charged either, membership does have its privilages in this case. Good luck, they look pretty big!

Back
Top Bottom