Weekend Japan hunting with Larbo and Varelsee

wolf-n-wa

Forum Supporter
Day 1 Friday 5-5-2017 Kannonzaki Park

So, my Friday started off at work. During the day, I check FMDF and see a new member @ Tokyo that wants to go hunt. I was already talking with Larbo about a hunt @ Oiso for the weekend. So, towards the end of the day, I throw it out there that I was going to hit Kannonzaki park after work. Then logged off computer and headed to the park. Because it is Golden week here in Japan, the park was packed. As I'm scouting an area off the trail I want to hunt, I get a phone call. Don't recognize that number! Hello? "Hello, this is Varelsee from FMDF, I am at the park." What? How the hell did you get here so dam fast? That's what I was thinking anyway. So, we get to talking and he tells me he would like to find old Japanese coins. I said, to many people on beach now so we can hit the woods and bunkers a little first. We had no luck at all in the sticks. After a while the beach emptied and we went down. This area is segmented into 3 beaches. I took him to the first beach and told him, "Go hunt by those rocks, I found old coins there 5 years ago." This beach produced only modern clad and some cool shells. I then take him over by beach 2 and 3. Beach 2 is active but has never produced for me like beach 3. So, I take him to beach 3 and tell him again, "I have pulled old coins from this spot here." I go about detecting and after 5 or 10 minutes Varelsee comes walking over with a big smile on his face. "Look my friend, I have found old coin." This makes me happy and verifies my finds here. We hunted till it got dark with plans to meet Larbo the next day at Oiso.

Day 2 Saturday 5-6-2017 Oiso, Japan

Sooooooo, I arrived at Oiso station at 0710 and went to find a place to smoke and call Larbo. I give him a call to discover he is at the beach with @ 1000 yen (about $9.00 U.S.) in his pocket already in modern clad money. He arrived at Oiso @ 0530. Early birds get the worm and all! So, he walks up to the station to meet me and wait on Varelsee. The wait was only about 15 minutes. Next was trying to figure out our options, Mountain, beach, or river hunt? We decide mountain first. Off we go! We find a trail head and up we go, and up, and up, and up! We finally make up to the top and there is a park there so we start to hunt. Not doing to hot until we hit some benches then the keys start popping out. Key after key after key. Larbo is a crack detectorist, meaning he is a on crack detecting. This guy does not stop. We lose him for a while. This happens throughout the day. HA! Next is going down the trail to find the temple. Well, these dam trails are goat trails not people trails. I’m sure one of us is going to bust our butts and its probably going to be me. But I see children and old folks in their 70’s hiking to this place. OK, buck up, I got this. Along the way we hit spots here and there with the usual 10 yen coin (found more than any other coin in Japan) being dug. Finally we get to the temple area. I’m beat! As usual, Larbo is up and runnin. Varelsee shortly follows and about 15 minutes later he walks over to me and shows me 2 late 1800’s Japanese sen coins. OK, I’m not tired anymore. He says, “I owe ya one, I found them right there.”
I go to the spot he shows me and my first hit was a late 1800’s sen. Well, I’ll be dam! Then on with the usual pull tab digging. We figure we got this area cleaned up pretty good so start to head down. Yay! No more up hill climbing! Well, hell, down hill on a goat trail aint no dam better. GRRRRRRRRRR! On the other side of the temple there are 3 trails, one going straight and 2 to either side of the temple. Well, you’d know I’d take the wrong turn. I hunted a bit and only found foil on this trail. So, being the oldest of the 3 of us said I was headed down the trail a bit. I stop at a good stopping spot and wait for the other 2. After a while Varelsee shows up and we wait on Crackdetector (new name)! He’s gone a while and finally shows up to show us his nice little hand full of square holed Japanese coins. YUP! He took the other trail. Which, obviously, was the right trail. Down more goat trail to the river and we hunt there for a while. All modern stuff, of course, and nothing to special. Think Varelsee found an IPOD. Last but not least was the beach. But lunch, with these 2 guys first. Of course we had to go to a Japanese restaurant and get us some traditional food. Love me some fish. Even raw its awesome. Alright, I like easy walking and digging. We get to the beach and my 3rd or 4th target is a silver ring. Now I’m really happy. Pulled another 100 yen coin and my day was done. Flat out beat and exhausted.

Big thanks to Larbo for picking such a unique place to hunt with a lot of history. Good call Brotha!

Big thanks to Varelsee for sharing the good spot and hunting with me for a couple days.

If you guys reed this, please share some photos of the day as I totally spaced even taking pictures.

Happy Hunting all! Wolf

LARBO's finds

Attachments

• LARBO 4.jpg
    LARBO 4.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 399
  • LARBO.jpg
    LARBO.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 378
  • LARBO 2.jpg
    LARBO 2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 384
  • LARBO 3.jpg
    LARBO 3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Thanks for the post Wolf. It was a good hunt even though we didn't find as much as we hoped for. I think the the place that you and Varelsee found your coins may have been a temple in the past but all of the buildings were gone so I'm not sure. I need to do some more research on the area.

Sorry to get seperated a couple of times. I tend to do that sometimes when I'm detecting with other people. Let me know the next time you are back in Japan and and hopefully we will find more old stuff.

I also forgot to take pictures so I don't have many more to post. Here are a couple.

Last edited:
Day 1 Friday 5-5-2017 Kannonzaki Park

So, my Friday started off at work. During the day, I check FMDF and see a new member @ Tokyo that wants to go hunt. I was already talking with Larbo about a hunt @ Oiso for the weekend. So, towards the end of the day, I throw it out there that I was going to hit Kannonzaki park after work. Then logged off computer and headed to the park. Because it is Golden week here in Japan, the park was packed. As I'm scouting an area off the trail I want to hunt, I get a phone call. Don't recognize that number! Hello? "Hello, this is Varelsee from FMDF, I am at the park." What? How the hell did you get here so dam fast? That's what I was thinking anyway. So, we get to talking and he tells me he would like to find old Japanese coins. I said, to many people on beach now so we can hit the woods and bunkers a little first. We had no luck at all in the sticks. After a while the beach emptied and we went down. This area is segmented into 3 beaches. I took him to the first beach and told him, "Go hunt by those rocks, I found old coins there 5 years ago." This beach produced only modern clad and some cool shells. I then take him over by beach 2 and 3. Beach 2 is active but has never produced for me like beach 3. So, I take him to beach 3 and tell him again, "I have pulled old coins from this spot here." I go about detecting and after 5 or 10 minutes Varelsee comes walking over with a big smile on his face. "Look my friend, I have found old coin." This makes me happy and verifies my finds here. We hunted till it got dark with plans to meet Larbo the next day at Oiso.

Day 2 Saturday 5-6-2017 Oiso, Japan

Sooooooo, I arrived at Oiso station at 0710 and went to find a place to smoke and call Larbo. I give him a call to discover he is at the beach with @ 1000 yen (about $9.00 U.S.) in his pocket already in modern clad money. He arrived at Oiso @ 0530. Early birds get the worm and all! So, he walks up to the station to meet me and wait on Varelsee. The wait was only about 15 minutes. Next was trying to figure out our options, Mountain, beach, or river hunt? We decide mountain first. Off we go! We find a trail head and up we go, and up, and up, and up! We finally make up to the top and there is a park there so we start to hunt. Not doing to hot until we hit some benches then the keys start popping out. Key after key after key. Larbo is a crack detectorist, meaning he is a on crack detecting. This guy does not stop. We lose him for a while. This happens throughout the day. HA! Next is going down the trail to find the temple. Well, these dam trails are goat trails not people trails. I’m sure one of us is going to bust our butts and its probably going to be me. But I see children and old folks in their 70’s hiking to this place. OK, buck up, I got this. Along the way we hit spots here and there with the usual 10 yen coin (found more than any other coin in Japan) being dug. Finally we get to the temple area. I’m beat! As usual, Larbo is up and runnin. Varelsee shortly follows and about 15 minutes later he walks over to me and shows me 2 late 1800’s Japanese sen coins. OK, I’m not tired anymore. He says, “I owe ya one, I found them right there.”
I go to the spot he shows me and my first hit was a late 1800’s sen. Well, I’ll be dam! Then on with the usual pull tab digging. We figure we got this area cleaned up pretty good so start to head down. Yay! No more up hill climbing! Well, hell, down hill on a goat trail aint no dam better. GRRRRRRRRRR! On the other side of the temple there are 3 trails, one going straight and 2 to either side of the temple. Well, you’d know I’d take the wrong turn. I hunted a bit and only found foil on this trail. So, being the oldest of the 3 of us said I was headed down the trail a bit. I stop at a good stopping spot and wait for the other 2. After a while Varelsee shows up and we wait on Crackdetector (new name)! He’s gone a while and finally shows up to show us his nice little hand full of square holed Japanese coins. YUP! He took the other trail. Which, obviously, was the right trail. Down more goat trail to the river and we hunt there for a while. All modern stuff, of course, and nothing to special. Think Varelsee found an IPOD. Last but not least was the beach. But lunch, with these 2 guys first. Of course we had to go to a Japanese restaurant and get us some traditional food. Love me some fish. Even raw its awesome. Alright, I like easy walking and digging. We get to the beach and my 3rd or 4th target is a silver ring. Now I’m really happy. Pulled another 100 yen coin and my day was done. Flat out beat and exhausted.

Big thanks to Larbo for picking such a unique place to hunt with a lot of history. Good call Brotha!

Big thanks to Varelsee for sharing the good spot and hunting with me for a couple days.

If you guys reed this, please share some photos of the day as I totally spaced even taking pictures.

Happy Hunting all! Wolf

LARBO's finds

Dang, awesome fun! Neat to find old stuff, too!

Thanks! I might make another trip there in the next couple of weeks to see if there is anything else in that area. If I can't find any old coins I will go to the beach and get as much clad and rings as I can. I will post the pictures if I find anything good.

A bit late, but I'll try to fill my part:

1. Wolf and his Sandy Spot of Old Coins - as it is a ordinary beach entrance, I find it magic and incredible, that coins were waiting there for us for centuries in a place where hundreds people grill and have good time! Not, that there weren't A FEW HUNDREDS pulltabs. Per square meter.

I think Wolf collected most of them, so I could get my awaited old coin(s) - there were actually two in one. Thank you!

2. First (and last) old coin in Kannonzaki
1 mon that seems to be from younger generation of coins, because of details (late XVII or XVIII century).

3. Oiso - on the pic 20% of keys we found in that place. There were kilograms of them:

Wolf got also few opened or cut padlocks. We assumed that any of them was a sign of broken relation. We just had to talk about human's love nature and wondered if Larbo already got to the other side of mountain.

4. Crackdetector tracking or Trackdetector cracking or happy hunting.

5. 1 and half sen coins - Meiji era, end of XIX century (don't remember exact dates)

Not too stunning loot but the real treasure was shared time in mountains, river, beach, lunch and having fun together. Thank you guys!

Attachments

• Screenshot-2017-05-17-16.57.13.jpg
    Screenshot-2017-05-17-16.57.13.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 285
  • Screenshot-2017-05-17-16.57.21.jpg
    Screenshot-2017-05-17-16.57.21.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 296
  • Screenshot-2017-05-17-16.57.36.jpg
    Screenshot-2017-05-17-16.57.36.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Screenshot-2017-05-17-16.57.43.jpg
    Screenshot-2017-05-17-16.57.43.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 284
  • Screenshot-2017-05-17-16.57.55.jpg
    Screenshot-2017-05-17-16.57.55.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Wow! What an epic weekend hunt! And during golden week, too! Y'all have guts! The clad alone is a pretty good haul (gotta love the 500 yen!) and those oldies are really cool!

It's good to know y'all are also finding lots of 10 yen coins. That has got to be one of my most common (non-pulltab) finds.

And somebody definitely has the same metal detecting gloves as mine! :lol:

Wow! What an epic weekend hunt! And during golden week, too! Y'all have guts! The clad alone is a pretty good haul (gotta love the 500 yen!) and those oldies are really cool!

It's good to know y'all are also finding lots of 10 yen coins. That has got to be one of my most common (non-pulltab) finds.

And somebody definitely has the same metal detecting gloves as mine! :lol:

On beaches I tend to find more ¥100 than but in most other places ¥10 are the most common. I like finding the ¥500 coins because they add up fast. I found my 120th ¥500 yesterday. My record for 1 day is 10 of them on a beach.

... My record for 1 day is 10 of them on a beach.

Question for you: I met a fellow who came here from Japan. He's an american who took a job in Japan about 20 yrs. ago. And has been there ever since. A few years ago, he decided to try the hobby of md'ing. But the import costs there are so high, and the hobby is fairly unknown there. All he saw were a few cheapies in Radio Shack. No actual dealers there that he could find.

So he decided to just buy while on a return trip to California when home for the holiday. And just take one back to Japan with his luggage. That's how I met him: I sold him a used machine I had. Gave him a quick tutorial, etc...

We had a LONG talk on the prospects of detecting Japan. He had brought with him examples of every single coin currently in circulation. I tested the TID's of the various coins, and see that the 500 yen has a distinct TID on my Explorers.

So what would stop you from getting a machine with a highly expanded TID graph (like explorer, or XLT, etc...) and just simply going to places that are prolific with modern clad, and ONLY shooting for the 500 yen ??

Here in the USA, our top denomination is only .25 c :( But on certain occasions, when bored out of my wits, when in places where there's no old coins, I've made sport of strictly chasing quarters for a few hours. And in cases like that, can rack up 50 or more. In fact, on two occasions getting 100+ quarters in a single hunt. WELL GEE: If a coin were worth $5.00 (the 500 yen), what's to stop you guys from doing the same thing ? :?:

I realize you're probably just after old coins and jewelry (who wants clad after all ?). But , sheesk, if a clad coin fetches $5, and has a distinct TID, then .... aren't there sand boxes or modern parks or beaches that have prolific clad ?

Question for you: I met a fellow who came here from Japan. He's an american who took a job in Japan about 20 yrs. ago. And has been there ever since. A few years ago, he decided to try the hobby of md'ing. But the import costs there are so high, and the hobby is fairly unknown there. All he saw were a few cheapies in Radio Shack. No actual dealers there that he could find.

So he decided to just buy while on a return trip to California when home for the holiday. And just take one back to Japan with his luggage. That's how I met him: I sold him a used machine I had. Gave him a quick tutorial, etc...

We had a LONG talk on the prospects of detecting Japan. He had brought with him examples of every single coin currently in circulation. I tested the TID's of the various coins, and see that the 500 yen has a distinct TID on my Explorers.

So what would stop you from getting a machine with a highly expanded TID graph (like explorer, or XLT, etc...) and just simply going to places that are prolific with modern clad, and ONLY shooting for the 500 yen ??

Here in the USA, our top denomination is only .25 c :( But on certain occasions, when bored out of my wits, when in places where there's no old coins, I've made sport of strictly chasing quarters for a few hours. And in cases like that, can rack up 50 or more. In fact, on two occasions getting 100+ quarters in a single hunt. WELL GEE: If a coin were worth $5.00 (the 500 yen), what's to stop you guys from doing the same thing ? :?:

I realize you're probably just after old coins and jewelry (who wants clad after all ?). But , sheesk, if a clad coin fetches $5, and has a distinct TID, then .... aren't there sand boxes or modern parks or beaches that have prolific clad ?

I like finding the ¥500 coins. Usually the show as a 65 on my AT Pro. They changed design once and the old styles show up around 53 I think. I have found 120 of them so far. Maybe 15 Or 20 are from parks and the rest are from beaches. I found 10 of them on my best day but you will always find a lot more ¥100 coins that ¥500 and they usually add up to more so it would be hard to pass them up. I am also looking for rings and other jewelry on the beach so I dig up almost everything. I like looking for clad on beaches here because you can find a lot. If I hunt a beach all day I usually find at least ¥5000 and my record is about ¥12,900.

I think if you only tried to find ¥500 coins at most places you wouldn't find many because they are high value and not lost that frequently compared to other coins. On some beaches you may find a lot of ¥500 but you would miss on on probably 5 or 6 times as many ¥100 and other good stuff.

Here is a picture of the clad I found on the 10 ¥500 day.

Last edited:
Holy COW that is a good day for clad!

Looking at that really gets me yearning for a halfway decent detector (I know there are untapped depths of clad on the beaches around me).

Yeah, I agree- the 100yens and even 50yens add up so fast and the jewelry is where the real money's at on the beaches anyway, so I could never focus on just the 500yens (as much as I love them).

And you're never gonna find them in the same quantity as you'd find US quarters-- if you drop a quarter, look down and don't see it, you're gonna be like- "ah well, whatever." If you drop a $5 bill and look down and don't see it-- you're gonna hunt that sucker down (ok, unless you're way richer than I am)! It's the same here-- if you realize you dropped a 500yen coin you're definitely gonna dig around in the grass or sand and see if you can find it.

I like finding the ¥500 coins. Usually the show as a 65 on my AT Pro. They changed design once and the old styles show up around 53 I think. I have found 120 of them so far. Maybe 15 Or 20 are from parks and the rest are from beaches. I found 10 of them on my best day but you will always find a lot more ¥100 coins that ¥500 and they usually add up to more so it would be hard to pass them up. I am also looking for rings and other jewelry on the beach so I dig up almost everything. I like looking for clad on beaches here because you can find a lot. If I hunt a beach all day I usually find at least ¥5000 and my record is about ¥12,900.

I think if you only tried to find ¥500 coins at most places you wouldn't find many because they are high value and not lost that frequently compared to other coins. On some beaches you may find a lot of ¥500 but you would miss on on probably 5 or 6 times as many ¥100 and other good stuff.

Here is a picture of the clad I found on the 10 ¥500 day.

Exactly! ¥100 is like $1 anyway so why would you leave if if you saw it? That is 4 quarters right there (depending on exchange rate). The lower denominations always add up to more than the ¥500 in my experience. I still want to beat my record but I haven't got close recently.

I'm using an AT Pro which isn't that good for the beach but I hunt the dry sand mostly.

Last edited:
Exactly! ¥100 is like $1 anyway so why would you leave if if you saw it? That is 4
quarters right there....

Ok. Fine. Can you edit in *just* the 100 and 500 yen then ? As I recall, the 100 yen also has a distinct TID on an expanded TID/VDI machines as well.

Not sure about Japan, but I know that here in the USA, there are places where clad is annoyingly thick. Such that a person, if they were cherry-picking, could pick & choose quite quickly to *just* go for quarters. Or *just* go for nickels or whatever. Naturally it's hardly worth the effort . And most of us shun clad like the plague. And much-prefer old coins and/or jewelry, just like you guys.

But if coins could be notched in that were worth $1 and $5, then ... hmmmm... Given a place where clad is prolific, I could start to see how it might be worth surfing for a day for those.

And my friend from Japan tells me that the buying power is about the same. So for example, whatever you'd expect to buy for ~ $5 here , is about the same there. Eg.: the Subway sandwich special for $5, or the 24 oz. designer beer, or.... whatever. Right ?

Hey Larbo,

Is the shell in lower left corner of your Great Hunt an earring? If so, I probably got the second one, found on the beach on Miyajima :)

Hey Larbo,

Is the shell in lower left corner of your Great Hunt an earring? If so, I probably got the second one, found on the beach on Miyajima :)

Beautiful, tranquil place. Are you referring to the beach area where the iconic Tori is located, or a different beach on the island?

Ok. Fine. Can you edit in *just* the 100 and 500 yen then ? As I recall, the 100 yen also has a distinct TID on an expanded TID/VDI machines as well.

Not sure about Japan, but I know that here in the USA, there are places where clad is annoyingly thick. Such that a person, if they were cherry-picking, could pick & choose quite quickly to *just* go for quarters. Or *just* go for nickels or whatever. Naturally it's hardly worth the effort . And most of us shun clad like the plague. And much-prefer old coins and/or jewelry, just like you guys.

But if coins could be notched in that were worth $1 and $5, then ... hmmmm... Given a place where clad is prolific, I could start to see how it might be worth surfing for a day for those.

And my friend from Japan tells me that the buying power is about the same. So for example, whatever you'd expect to buy for ~ $5 here , is about the same there. Eg.: the Subway sandwich special for $5, or the 24 oz. designer beer, or.... whatever. Right ?

I guess you could do that but I'm not interested. There isn't much competition so you can just come back to the beach another time and clear out as much as possible. You find a lot of clad concentrated in certain spots and I don't find that many low denomination coins on the beach for some reason. I checked the breakdown of the coins in the picture above and it was ¥500 x 10, ¥100 x 67, ¥50 x 20, ¥10 x 17, ¥5 x 10 and ¥1 x 3 (¥12,923 total). The 3 lowest denomination coins totaled only 30 so it's not much digging anyway and you would miss a lot of jewelry and old coins that you sometimes find on the beaches here. Also a lot of the beaches are full of rusted iron, pulltabs, shredded cans and foil so you won't necessarily get a perfect signal on every coin.

In parks I usually find a few hundred yen in clad but it's not that much so I don't mind digging it and there isn't enough in most places just to concentrate on the ¥100 and ¥500 coins. I sure someone has tried it before but I prefer to just dig everything.

The buying power of a ¥100 in ¥500 is about the same as $1 or $5 for most things but some things like beer are a lot more expensive. For a good craft beer at a bar or restaurant you can expect to pay at least a ¥1000.

Back
Top Bottom