Coyotes in my yard at night ? EDIT TO ADD: first photos likely a fox, latest photo (added 7-21) MIGHT be a coyote

That's a fox,

Coyote doo not really pack up, but will hunt in small family groups. three or more Coyotes will sound like many more if one howl is on the down and the other is going up. At the cross of the two notes it will sound like more than two. I can't really explain it, however a professional coyote caller and call marker (Randy Anderson)who is a music teacher for a day job, explains it well.

I use to call them and pretty hung up in the sport when I was a little younger.

That's a fox,

Coyote doo not really pack up, but will hunt in small family groups. three or more Coyotes will sound like many more if one howl is on the down and the other is going up. At the cross of the two notes it will sound like more than two. I can't really explain it, however a professional coyote caller and call marker (Randy Anderson)who is a music teacher for a day job, explains it well.

Very interesting !!!! ….thanks for sharing that !

…..I've had times where the "yipping" sounded so intense it sounded like there was around 10 of them from just going by the way it sounded :shock: :lol:

The picture looks like a fox. Coyotes live in lots of major cities. Coyotes do hunt in packs, people have called in as many as 21 at a time while hunting them.

You will never get rid of them.

Old fat corgi dog would chase a fox out of the yard and before she made it back to the porch the fox would be right behind her waiting to be chased again. She had pups under a tree just a few feet from our back fence. We are in town but have 10 acres of woods behind us. We shouldn't have done it but we gave them table scraps, the mom and her pups would come right up to the wife but wouldn't get within 20 foot of me. It was cool watching them grow up. They played with the dogs, mostly teasing them until the dogs would chase them. My dogs are out most nights we have coyotes and foxes and haven't had any problems, probably because there is plenty of trash and road kill squirrel for them to eat. I'm sure if they were hungry that could change.
You can't get rid of them, just try not to attract them, don't leave cat/dog food out and secure your trash.

Very interesting !!!! ….thanks for sharing that !

…..I've had times where the "yipping" sounded so intense it sounded like there was around 10 of them from just going by the way it sounded :shock: :lol:

Early summer to early September when mama brings dinner back to the den, the youngsters can get riled up and sound off.

That's a fox,

Round here they pack up quite commonly. Then again they are more of a coy wolf then coyote.

Old fat corgi dog would chase a fox out of the yard and before she made it back to the porch the fox would be right behind her waiting to be chased again. She had pups under a tree just a few feet from our back fence. We are in town but have 10 acres of woods behind us. We shouldn't have done it but we gave them table scraps, the mom and her pups would come right up to the wife but wouldn't get within 20 foot of me. It was cool watching them grow up. They played with the dogs, mostly teasing them until the dogs would chase them. My dogs are out most nights we have coyotes and foxes and haven't had any problems, probably because there is plenty of trash and road kill squirrel for them to eat. I'm sure if they were hungry that could change.
You can't get rid of them, just try not to attract them, don't leave cat/dog food out and secure your trash.

Wait, you don't just instantly kill any animal near your property that isn't your pet...? Insanity! The blood thirsty wild animals are sure to kill and eat your entire family! :roll:

Really cool to watch the interaction between animals, and fox are some of the most fun to watch for sure. One of our beagles growing up used to hang out with some coyotes and they'd yip and howl back and forth in the evening sometimes.

Same principal, just use a bigger basket

iu

I've heard of flying squirrels.

Another vote for fox! :)

The picture looks like a fox. Coyotes live in lots of major cities. Coyotes do hunt in packs, people have called in as many as 21 at a time while hunting them.

You will never get rid of them.

Early summer to early September when mama brings dinner back to the den, the youngsters can get riled up and sound off.

The pics you provide show a Red Fox. Size and shape are right, but the white tip on the tail is the proof (in my mind).

Round here they pack up quite commonly. Then again they are more of a coy wolf then coyote.

Wait, you don't just instantly kill any animal near your property that isn't your pet...? Insanity! The blood thirsty wild animals are sure to kill and eat your entire family! :roll:

Really cool to watch the interaction between animals, and fox are some of the most fun to watch for sure. One of our beagles growing up used to hang out with some coyotes and they'd yip and howl back and forth in the evening sometimes.

The pics you have are of a Red Fox

Your pics look like a red fox to me. The size, dimensions, and white tipped tail all say fox, IMO.

Thanks for all the replies and info !

I think my mistake was automatically assuming coyote because of the "yipping" I heard, but I now agree the photo does look like a fox especially after checking a web site that showed photos of both to show the differences.

The "yipping" does likely mean there are coyotes in the area, but I just haven't yet caught them on my trail camera.

So far my trail camera in my yard has at least captured plenty of deer, a racoon, a bird, a cat, and those foxes, if they do capture some coyote photos I'll post them side by side with the fox photos.

The memory card in my trail camera usually gets filled up in roughly 10 days after capturing about 35 video clips give or take a few depending how long the critter stays in range to keep the camera motion detector activated.

No, but it is traumatizing to go out to the coop and find out all your hens have been killed overnight by critters just for the fun of it. When one relies on livestock and produce to feed one’s family, ya kind of take a different point of view.

No, but it is traumatizing to go out to the coop and find out all your hens have been killed overnight by critters just for the fun of it. When one relies on livestock and produce to feed one’s family, ya kind of take a different point of view.

Yes it is. Happened to me once when I forgot to shut the coop and the dogs were inside for the night. My coop is almost critter proof if I shut the door. My 6 hens are pets, I enjoy the eggs, but they are going to have to lay 30 years to pay off the coop. I'm surprised we haven't lost more birds. We have a bunch of owls and hawks and the occasional Bald Eagle. I'm the first one to shoot a critter that needs shootin, but I try to keep that as a last resort.

as soon as I saw the pictures I was pretty sure it was a fox. Don't foxes make a yipping noise similar to coyotes? Maybe a little higher pitched? My experience with foxes is very limited, but I know coyotes.

I've posted these here before but thought I'd share again. They were taken with my trail cam right outside my back gate.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

If you look at the time stamp you can see that the coyote shows up in the same minute that the bobcat was there. Fairly certain that's what the bobcat was looking back at in the first picture.

Yesterday morning I opened the bathroom window to look out at my rabbit trap and heard what sounded like 6-7 coyotes yipping and carrying on like crazy. As soon as I turned on the flashlight to look at the trap the yipping all stopped. They must have been really close.

I love living out in the wilds, but along with that comes some common sense things you have to keep in mind. I never let the grand kids play outside the 6.5' walled in yard area. And they never play outside after dark.

a coyote is no threat to a human,Ive hunted them all my life.Now to a cat or small dog...that's another story.I trapped a 30 pounder this past season,they are deafeningly loud when you are 5 ft away.lol

Really cool to watch the interaction between animals, and fox are some of the most fun to watch for sure. One of our beagles growing up used to hang out with some coyotes and they'd yip and howl back and forth in the evening sometimes
. I don't think you have raised chickens,ducks,guinnes and rabbits.lol Ive had them ruin my whole meat rabbit operation in one night,not to mention 10 chickens,oh ya and my pet dog. I kill only to eat,except in the case of predators.If you ever see them ripping a fawn apart you might change your mind.Now fox,I don't consider them a predator because the really only eat rats and mice and stuff.Dont get me wrong ,I am not a kill anything that moves guy,but I have seen way to much of the work of coyotes.

Yes it is. Happened to me once when I forgot to shut the coop and the dogs were inside for the night. My coop is almost critter proof if I shut the door. My 6 hens are pets, I enjoy the eggs, but they are going to have to lay 30 years to pay off the coop. I'm surprised we haven't lost more birds. We have a bunch of owls and hawks and the occasional Bald Eagle. I'm the first one to shoot a critter that needs shootin, but I try to keep that as a last resort.

as soon as I saw the pictures I was pretty sure it was a fox. Don't foxes make a yipping noise similar to coyotes? Maybe a little higher pitched? My experience with foxes is very limited, but I know coyotes.

I've posted these here before but thought I'd share again. They were taken with my trail cam right outside my back gate.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

If you look at the time stamp you can see that the coyote shows up in the same minute that the bobcat was there. Fairly certain that's what the bobcat was looking back at in the first picture.

Yesterday morning I opened the bathroom window to look out at my rabbit trap and heard what sounded like 6-7 coyotes yipping and carrying on like crazy. As soon as I turned on the flashlight to look at the trap the yipping all stopped. They must have been really close.

I love living out in the wilds, but along with that comes some common sense things you have to keep in mind. I never let the grand kids play outside the 6.5' walled in yard area. And they never play outside after dark.

a coyote is no threat to a human,Ive hunted them all my life.Now to a cat or small dog...that's another story.I trapped a 30 pounder this past season,they are deafeningly loud when you are 5 ft away.lol

Really cool to watch the interaction between animals, and fox are some of the most fun to watch for sure. One of our beagles growing up used to hang out with some coyotes and they'd yip and howl back and forth in the evening sometimes

I don't think you have raised chickens,ducks,guinnes and rabbits.lol Ive had them ruin my whole meat rabbit operation in one night,not to mention 10 chickens,oh ya and my pet dog. I kill only to eat,except in the case of predators.If you ever see them ripping a fawn apart you might change your mind.Now fox,I don't consider them a predator because the really only eat rats and mice and stuff.Dont get me wrong ,I am not a kill anything that moves guy,but I have seen way to much of the work of coyotes.

When it's a predator that is attacking on your property it is very understandable you need to defend and protect what's yours.

I'm now trying to convince my wife it's a fox in that photo instead of a coyote, I emailed her a copy of the coyote photo Grumpa shared, hopefully she'll see the difference like I did :lol:

(it's my fault, I told her it was a coyote before I found out the difference :lol:)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Great pics!

Back
Top Bottom