Nox Upgrade!!!

Still getting the "Low to high" pin point volume after upgrade.

Now am I reading too much into what the manual states on this? Page 36 notes that, when in pinpoint mode, shallow coins will sound a loud, high tone, and deeper targets will produce a quiet, low tone.

So .. just what is the problem with what you state?
Isn't it designed to do that?

Now am I reading too much into what the manual states on this? Page 36 notes that, when in pinpoint mode, shallow coins will sound a loud, high tone, and deeper targets will produce a quiet, low tone.

I was wondering the same thing.

On my units the pin point always starts out sounding low and muffled and as I try to narrow the area then it will eventually all of a sudden jump to a louder unmuffled tone. Does not matter if the target is 4 inches deep or 10 inches deep.

On my units the pin point always starts out sounding low and muffled and as I try to narrow the area then it will eventually all of a sudden jump to a louder unmuffled tone. Does not matter if the target is 4 inches deep or 10 inches deep.
Mine does this also

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The closer the sweet spot under the coil gets to the target the higher and louder the tone.

The closer the sweet spot under the coil gets to the target the higher and louder the tone.
So, when all the bars are black,
and now the coil is stationary, the tone you hear at that point, is the tone that holds the information for the user, in regards to its depth.

So, when all the bars are black,
and now the coil is stationary, the tone you hear at that point, is the tone that holds the information for the user, in regards to its depth.

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. I haven't noticed the tone saying much about depth in pinpoint mode. It should only let you know approximately where the target should be. Unless there is more than one target close together , which are often at different depths.....that can throw the pinpoint off as well as the depth meter.

Ive never really looked at the depth meter in PP mode , I normally just look at it as I am swinging the coil over the target so maybe I am missing something in that respect.

Originally Posted by Martin_V3i View post
That's where I keep clicking. Nothing happens.

give it a few minutes. Depending on your internet connection speed it may take a few minutes.

Same thing happened to me. I thought it wasn't doing anything. It took a good (2) minutes to "find" my 600. Then it updated. Just click, and wait a min or two.

Originally Posted by Martin_V3i View post
That's where I keep clicking. Nothing happens.

Same thing happened to me. I thought it wasn't doing anything. It took a good (2) minutes to "find" my 600. Then it updated. Just click, and wait a min or two.

I had to click on the update screen window to make it active and it found the attached Nox 600.. once it did, the update was super fast :)

I used Windows 10 (under Bootcamp on a MacPro). I didn't have to do any compatibility mode mods to run the updater. Here's my order of operations:

1. Downloaded and run updater.
2. Connected Nox via USB cable. (It took me a couple of minutes to figure out that I need to power it on)
3. Turned on Nox power.
4. Updater detected Nox within seconds and asked if I wanted to update.
5. I followed the prompts in the updater (took a couple of minutes to complete).

Update on both my units went fine with no troubles. I do believe there is some noticeable performance gain but this pin point low/high is just there still.
I will take my EQ600 back to the original software and reupdate as you suggest and see if that makes any difference.

typically with firmware and software updates they either fully update or don't update. no such thing as a partial update. The developers know the finger print of the new update and if it does not match then there is no update. If you somehow got a partial update on your Nox, your detector simply would not work at all. But again, damn near impossible to get a partial update with just some of the update features.

Now it is more complex than that, but the finger print analogy should suffice to explain it.

I think that is a GREAT idea. I'm sure those with test gardens, I'm looking at your Calabash, can do that pre and post compare pretty easily.

BCD

I don't think Calabash will be doing any garden testing this week it may be underwater from the hurricane. I think he is under mandatory evacuation as of wed this week.

Completed the update firmware, quick and easy. Went out this morning and gave it a shot.. I guess I'm still too novice at this to notice any perceivable differences from old to new firmware...

But I do notice the unit being a lot lighter though... ;)

I guess the developers took out some code, that would account for the lightness you discovered.

My Nox 600 does something like that but not often. It will start out so faint that it sounds like a whispery echo, then it will suddenly get loud and work properly. As I said, not too often, so more of an oddity than an annoyance for me.

The pinpoint problems I find annoying are two "sticking" issues: (1) tone will stick (loud) and stay that way no matter where coil moved, even off ground--I have to switch out of pinpoint and back again to reset. (2) pinpoint will stick along one axis for maybe two feet. This is no doubt indicative of other things in the "sticking" direction; but my Etrac has no such issue on the same target. I'm not sure problem (1) is still there after the update but problem (2) definitely is, although I'm trying to kid myself into thinking it doesn't happen as often.

Back
Top Bottom