NOX Obsoletes all + Etrac & CTX

Trashfinder

Forum Supporter
:mad:After a lot of thought about Minelabs claim that the NOX will obsolete single freq machines, i think it actually has obsoleted every thing.

Your not gonna pay twice or 3 times the amount for a NEW Etrac or CTX, notice i did not say used, when you can pay a lot less for matched or better in ways performance across the board from depth to recovery speed.

This machine jumped into the fabled AT series spot with Deus speed and Safari type ID and waterproof to boot. Some recently released machines like Impact and some others are extremely good in iron and depth but they do not have the multi-IQ which ID's better.

Now this statement is based solely on current prices of other machines when you compare depth,separation,ID and waterproof and total all around performance.

What makes this possible is what you get for the PRICE which until the market changes to reflect what the NOX has done, it actually obsoletes everything (based on performance and price).

When or IF we see Deus,ETRAC,CTX, and the other machines priced accordingly based on overall value, the NOX at least (Temporarily Obsoletes All)

DANG IT I HATE EATING CROW!!!

I do like my Nox, Its my top end machine for depth and id at depth I may be premature in saying this but I know my AtPro so well I can call whats in the ground pretty darn good.
I know I need more experience with the nox but for now my Atpro is my goto.
I will try another place next week and hopefully pull some deeeep coins out.:grin:

I do like my Nox, Its my top end machine for depth and id at depth I may be premature in saying this but I know my AtPro so well I can call whats in the ground pretty darn good.
I know I need more experience with the nox but for now my Atpro is my goto.
I will try another place next week and hopefully pull some deeeep coins out.:grin:

Impact is my goto, i still put both in the truck. But i can feel it is gonna happen when i don't need my security blanket anymore.:D

I don't expect the Nox to obsolete CTX or Etrac. I don't see any way the target ID can be as good on the Nox with such as small VDI scale and no FE CO numbers. I have only had one day with my 800 and it is a very good detector but I just don't see it replacing my Etrac for coin shooting. It is going to be a Swiss army detector I can always carry with me and hunt effectively in any scenario which is what I wanted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How is the balance on the nox compared to the Etrac? Etracs a little heavy but I think it balances well
I have been swinging the Etrac for last 2 years and the Nox is lighter and easier to swing for sure. I hunted for about 7 hrs today with no real issues.

Trash finder.
Got your Equinox handy?
Do me a favor. Any other Nox 800 users can do to and post your results here.

Save a program in your user profile using field 2 detect mode. Be sure to change a setting so you know what your user profile program looks like. After you save program in your user profile.
Exit user profile.
Then toggle to another detect mode program. Any besides field 2.
Then turn off your detector.
Turn back on and hit your user profile button.
When you do this tell me what happens.
Where does hitting your user profile button take you?
If hitting user profile button does take you to field 2, are your previous settings still there?

Trashfinder,, I saw you looking here, and need your help with this..didn't mean to sidetrack your thread.

I don't expect the Nox to obsolete CTX or Etrac. I don't see any way the target ID can be as good on the Nox with such as small VDI scale and no FE CO numbers. I have only had one day with my 800 and it is a very good detector but I just don't see it replacing my Etrac for coin shooting. It is going to be a Swiss army detector I can always carry with me and hunt effectively in any scenario which is what I wanted.

Well observed. Etrac is over 10 years old now, and it's still at the top of the food chain. Minelab hit a home run with FBS. WAY ahead of it's time.

Trash finder.
Got your Equinox handy?
Do me a favor. Any other Nox 800 users can do to and post your results here.

Save a program in your user profile using field 2 detect mode. Be sure to change a setting so you know what your user profile program looks like. After you save program in your user profile.
Exit user profile.
Then toggle to another detect mode program. Any besides field 2.
Then turn off your detector.
Turn back on and hit your user profile button.
When you do this tell me what happens.
Where does hitting your user profile button take you?
If hitting user profile button does take you to field 2, are your previous settings still there?

Trashfinder,, I saw you looking here, and need your help with this..didn't mean to sidetrack your thread.

Takes me to Park 2 and my settings are still there.

Well observed. Etrac is over 10 years old now, and it's still at the top of the food chain. Minelab hit a home run with FBS. WAY ahead of it's time.

If you hunt in moderate to severe trash the NOX will kill the Etrac, unless you put a small coil on the Etrac and hunt very slow. In fairly clean parks Etrac might end up with a depth advantage and more solid ID on deeper targets 8 plus inches. Time will tell on that i still need more time to tell but from what i am seeing and hearing i think this might end up being the case.

I don't think the Equinox will render obsolete the Etrac or CTX. At least at this point, having used the Equinox only a few hours, and even though I like it, I am not ready to give up my Etrac :) But I am looking mainly for coins. Someone who hunts relics might feel differently.

I think the Equinox is aimed more at machines like the Deus, Impact/Kruzer, AT Max and maybe MX Sport--fast, modern machines (mostly) mid-level in price. Probably shouldn't include the Deus in the list, since its (expensive) coils define the machine and the next one could change everything.

I don't think the Equinox will render obsolete the Etrac or CTX. At least at this point, having used the Equinox only a few hours, and even though I like it, I am not ready to give up my Etrac :) But I am looking mainly for coins. Someone who hunts relics might feel differently.

I think the Equinox is aimed more at machines like the Deus, Impact/Kruzer, AT Max and maybe MX Sport--fast, modern machines (mostly) mid-level in price. Probably shouldn't include the Deus in the list, since its (expensive) coils define the machine and the next one could change everything.

I agree and disagree ,, the reasons are that if i had to buy a new NOX 600 at 649, versus an Etrac at 1500 or a CTX at 2400. What are the mighty Etrac and CTX going to offer me for 2 to 3 times the price?? Not enough to justify it. I have owned all 3 and hunted with the ETRAC and CTX extensively and the justification to spend 2 to 3 times more money just isn't there especially for those that have issues swinging a heavy machine. Based on features, depth , recovery, wireless and waterproof and all around performance ,,,, it absolutely obsoletes everything. Notice in my first post i didn't say USED. You can buy a used Etrac for around 650 to 700 now thanks to NOX. But CTX used although much cheaper is still twice the price of a new NOX 600.

How does this sound. If we put stock coils on all, CTX, Etrac, any of the fbs detectors, and Equinox. Equinox is the odds on favorite to find more silver and coppers between 0 and 8.5" depth strata. Meaning do head to heads on all Equinox located silver and copper and the fbs types won't keep up.

So, deep down folks if they will think long and hard, out of your last 50 coins dug with using FBS/FBS2 how deep have the coins been?

Not to mention you can cover more ground quicker using Nox, this here will put a few more keepers in your pouch vs the slower than molasses fbs/fbs2 types.
We'll know more in about a year.
Let's here folks who do go the Nox route, let's see what they say about their finds numbers, quality, etc.

And add smaller gold, the $1 gold coin even the $2.50 gold coin, the 3 cent nickel far greater danger with Nox being swung.

And that dreaded weight factor. Don't forget that one. BIG!

How does this sound. If we put stock coils on all, CTX, Etrac, any of the fbs detectors, and Equinox. Equinox is the odds on favorite to find more silver and coppers between 0 and 8.5" depth strata. Meaning do head to heads on all Equinox located silver and copper and the fbs types won't keep up.

So, deep down folks if they will think long and hard, out of your last 50 coins dug with using FBS/FBS2 how deep have the coins been!

I said this before,Depth is probably one of the last things I look for in a machine.Ive used the Etrac,deus,F75ltd2 and many midpriced machines.Never dug anything over 8 inches with any of them,there could have been a very rare occasion when I did but I don’t remember.
All my halves,quarters and silver dimes have been maybe 6 inches,a few 7..

I believe every machine sees things differently,and will see what another won’t regardless of price,manufacture...I like Minelab fbs tones,one of the main reasons I use them.I like the at pro for the same reason,the audio.

You make a good point tnsharpshooter,most finds for me at least are all within reach of midpriced machines.Options on those machines is what I look for.

That single number wont be a help like the CTX beach hunting. In other words a 1 08 on a CTX is a never mess with it number. Its rotten thin iron. But say on a Nox its a 3. What do you do? Dig that krap. MY CTX has paid for itself several times beach hunting so id have no problem justifying another $2500 on another new one if she went down. Not to mention if you know what the screens telling you. In other words you can tell the difference between a dime and a Big dime. AKA a Rolex or something:lol:

That single number wont be a help like the CTX beach hunting. In other words a 1 08 on a CTX is a never mess with it number. Its rotten thin iron. But say on a Nox its a 3. What do you do? Dig that krap. MY CTX has paid for itself several times beach hunting so id have no problem justifying another $2500 on another new one if she went down. Not to mention if you know what the screens telling you. In other words you can tell the difference between a dime and a Big dime. AKA a Rolex or something:lol:

Yeah, one problem though with your saying CTX has paid for itself.

Could the Nox cut in on your finds.
Hence you may come up shy in your finds numbers gold wise vs previously.
A swarm of Nox's on a beach sure can't help you any.

Hey, but what do I know. Lol

So who wins the tortoise or the hare?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom