Ok that is impressive Equinox.

detectorben

Elite Member
So today I got off early and snuck in an hour and a half hunt at another late 1800s park. I had a pretty solid sounding quarter signal on the Nox. It was pretty steady at 30 on VDI. I dug a plug flipped it out and saw a large round rusty chunk of iron. I thought surely that can't be what that nice sounding 30 was!? So I stuck my pin pointer back in the hole and got another signal just below the junk. Out pops a 1965 nickel. Again not a 30. So I go back for more and find a 1965 quarter. There it is! But wait there is more in the hole. I keep looking and find 4 more coins. A 1965 penny, 1963 penny, 1966 dime and 1941 wheat penny. All in the hole under that rusty piece. Now that was impressive. And so close to a silver spill! I am pretty sure my Etrac would have just seen iron there. I have hunted this exact area many times as well with at pro and etrac because I found other wheats there and wanted to scour the area for silver.

I also found the 1918?? green wheat penny at a solid 10 inches. It was 2 inches deeper than my pin pointer. I was on recovery speed of 7 and sensitivity of 23 so I did not expect it to reach that depth. Signal was pretty clean and VDI was hitting 25 and repeatable. Wish I would have had my CTX to compare these targets with.

Also found this shotgun shell top a good 10 inches down under a tree root. It rang up like a wheat penny that is why I chased it down. From what I can find online it is a 12g U.MC CO shell from 1867-1911.

Today was first time I have seen the Nox do something my Etrac couldn't. I am warming up to this machine. Now if I could just find some silver!
54f9d3bda9a6f827494a39326743b9ce.jpg
b676a32ec4c1fdb37985aeed60bee635.jpg
ae1d0d7b38e8d5614c6080f9d670f7ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you keep hitting that 1800s Park there maybe more than one silver for that Nox to get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once found a 64 and 65 quarter spill. That I would imagine would be difficult to repeat as most silver was hoarded/pulled from circulation at that time. I’d bet that was spilled in 1965

congrats , way different post today....:cool:
I am starting to see the potential of this machine. I do think homesites are where it will really shine. I have an old farm in mind that has tons and tons of old nails. I hammered it good with at pro and etrac last year. I will give it a once over with Nox and see if those nails are hiding some goodies. I found 2 mercs and some wheats there with other machines.

Were you discriminating iron or in a all metal mode?

I just can't believe that it seen the coins under the iron. Could one of the coins been to the side of the iron and that is why you got a signal? That big a piece of iron over a target I would think of blocked any signal from the coins.

Ray

Great finds!

So how do you go about determining how things "ring"? Are you actually making air samples of examples, and making note of the numbers?

Were you discriminating iron or in a all metal mode?

I just can't believe that it seen the coins under the iron. Could one of the coins been to the side of the iron and that is why you got a signal? That big a piece of iron over a target I would think of blocked any signal from the coins.

Ray
Yes I had everything below 11 discriminated out and a few other notches. I did check it in all metal mode as I have been using that to sniff out bottle caps and other junk from good signals. It is possible one coin was off the the side slightly. Not enough that any detector I have used there in the past would have given any signal worth investigating. I have hit this area hard with at pro with 5×8 and stock coil. And also with Etrac stock coil and 6inch coiltek coil and neither sniffed it out. This area has been a focus of mine because I found several wheat pennies within a few feet of this spot with those other detectors. I also dig iffy signals with those other detectors because any clean signals have been few and far between at this park for years.

Great finds!

So how do you go about determining how things "ring"? Are you actually making air samples of examples, and making note of the numbers?
I have a test garden in my yard with various targets. I also air tested a lot of coins when i first got machine. Also I have dug a small bucket of clad with the Nox on my 3 hunts so far so I am starting to recognize good coin sounds and numbers. I have about 20hrs of hunting on the Nox so far.

Back
Top Bottom