ATP with the 5x8 coil: when do you switch back to the stock coil?

Dave2000

I put the 5x8 coil on my ATP earlier this season and loved how it handled pinpointing, target separation, etc, and it became my standard coil for pretty much everything (I kept the stock coil in my gear bag just in case).

This weekend, I made my best coin find with my ATP (with 5x8 ofcourse)-- a 200+ year old Large Cent spill (multiple targets) at about 8". So that got me thinking-- if the 5x8 coil is capable of pulling 200 year old coins from 8" with clean, strong signals, is there really a point in using the stock coil? I tried the stock coil out at that site immediately after my find but I didn't really know if it gave me an advantage. It did give me more coverage per swing, but I can live with swinging a lighter coil more frequently if it'll give me better target discrimination. Is the loss of depth issue with the 5x8 a myth? I just couldn't believe how clear those signals were with the 5x8 (granted, Large Cents are big coins). I plan on hitting that site hard (woods, some light trash) and I'm trying to determine what coil I should use. Any thoughts from users who have both coils? In what situations do YOU switch coils (if you do)?

I took my stock coil off, put it away, and have not used it since. That was about 8 months ago. The 5x8 comes on the AT Gold. My hunting buddy has a stock ATP with the stock coil and he doesnt find anymore goodies than I do. My arm gets less fatigued and my detector is lighter and better in trashy areas. Love my 5x8.

Yep I've dug silver dimes at 8-9" inches with the 5x8, but then I've also dug silver Quarters and LC at or around 12" inches deep with the stock coil.. I don't believe the 5x8 would have picked those deep ones up...

I go back to stock in large areas with little trash. My tests give me about an inch more depth on a dime with the stock in my soil/conditions. I probably run the 5x8 90% of the time. Smaller coil is also much better working around rocks, trees, fences, etc.

In my area the stock coil gets one, maybe two, inches deeper than the 5x8. But, good targets are rarely that much deeper. But, I do use the stock coil often for the additional coverage in less trashy areas.

I go back to stock in large areas with little trash. My tests give me about an inch more depth on a dime with the stock in my soil/conditions. I probably run the 5x8 90% of the time. Smaller coil is also much better working around rocks, trees, fences, etc.

x2 The stock coil and the small coil excel at different things. I tend to use the smaller coil more because I like to run to the iron like the Ultimate Warrior ran to the ring. The small coil excels in that environment. Once I leave those areas and explore the rest of the property I put on the larger stock coil.:yes:

In my area the stock coil gets one, maybe two, inches deeper than the 5x8. But, good targets are rarely that much deeper. But, I do use the stock coil often for the additional coverage in less trashy areas.

Yeah, it seems that while the stock coil does give more depth, it's an inch or two and it's depth that may not be practical. Most of (meaning maybe 95+%) of my good targets are 6" or less, easily handled by either coil. Even if the target is a little deeper, the 5x8 handles it easily. I don't think I've recovered a good target too much deeper than 8", but I have recovered plenty of junk at 10-12" and beyond (I rarely dig that deep anymore).

Yep I've dug silver dimes at 8-9" inches with the 5x8, but then I've also dug silver Quarters and LC at or around 12" inches deep with the stock coil.. I don't believe the 5x8 would have picked those deep ones up...

That's pretty deep (12"). Do you typically have good targets that deep? Where I am, I think that's a little beyond the range of where the good stuff is hiding.

Mine goes on when I have large areas I need to cover fairly quickly. I use it a little bit in the lake once in a while also.

Yeah, it seems that while the stock coil does give more depth, it's an inch or two and it's depth that may not be practical. Most of (meaning maybe 95+%) of my good targets are 6" or less, easily handled by either coil. Even if the target is a little deeper, the 5x8 handles it easily. I don't think I've recovered a good target too much deeper than 8", but I have recovered plenty of junk at 10-12" and beyond (I rarely dig that deep anymore).

That's pretty deep (12"). Do you typically have good targets that deep? Where I am, I think that's a little beyond the range of where the good stuff is hiding.

Actually the quarters/LC hit fairly well on sound with a high tone but the numbers where anywhere from the 40's up, same with the other deep coins..
The difference that made me dig them was there was zero growl sound when I kicked on the iron audio..
Also helps that I've been doing this for 16 years & know what to listen for, plus the At-pro is a awesome machine..

I switch back to the large coil when my small one goes bad and I have to wait for another to be sent from Garrett..

I have had 3 go bad now, and in the amount of time I have had to use the large coil, I have managed to wear out a coil cover on it...

So I have used both coils enough to say I absolutely hate the big coil, especially for the water...

<*)))>{

Picture this : you're staring at 20 acres to hunt. You'd probably want to throw on the 8.5 x 11 at that point.

Picture this : you're staring at 20 acres to hunt. You'd probably want to throw on the 8.5 x 11 at that point.

Oh sure, I'll give you that-- I'd do that too. I'm more interested to see if people actively benefit from the stock's increased depth capabilities (which may be negligible in many environments/situations).

I solved this problem a while back, I just bought another AT Pro so I don't need to change any coils LOL!
I keep my 5X8 on one unit and run my NEL Tornado on the other, Keep the stock coil on my 3rd unit.

I solved this problem a while back, I just bought another AT Pro so I don't need to change any coils LOL!
I keep my 5X8 on one unit and run my NEL Tornado on the other, Keep the stock coil on my 3rd unit.

Do you like that NEL coil, I'm thinking about getting the 15 inch one for the At-Gold that I'm going to buy as soon as I can sell the etrac...Lol

Do you like that NEL coil, I'm thinking about getting the 15 inch one for the At-Gold that I'm going to buy as soon as I can sell the etrac...Lol

I LOVE my NEL coil! They are a very heavy duty unit and I had absolutely no problem getting used to pin pointing with it.
I do get about an inch more depth over the stock coil and sometimes that is enough to pull out the deep silver!

I LOVE my NEL coil! They are a very heavy duty unit and I had absolutely no problem getting used to pin pointing with it.
I do get about an inch more depth over the stock coil and sometimes that is enough to pull out the deep silver!

Just what I wanted to hear, Thank you...:grin:

Back
Top Bottom