Glitch in new Equinox software?

jl1252

Elite Member
So, I had been using the new 6" coil on my Equinox 800 for the last week or so and decided to switch back to the stock 11" yesterday. Performed a factory reset like I always do when switching coils. Since everything was back to stock, I had to re-pair the ML80 headphones; no big deal.

That's when the trouble started. For the life of me I couldn't get them paired. I ended up doing a factory reset on the headphones to get them to pair. I detected for about 2 hours and decided to pack up and switch sites.

Fire up the headphones and detector at the new site and again, they won't connect. I re-initiated the pairing process and got them to pair. Shouldn't have to do that since they were already paired, but whatever. Detected for a bit and then decided to take a long walk to the other side of the park so I shut everything off for the 5 minute trip.

Fire everything back up and again the headphones wont connect. This time I shut the headphones and detector off and then back on several times to see if they will find each other. On one occasion during this process of cycling power on both the detector and headphones I get nothing but the backlight when I power on the detector. At this point, every time (4X) I power cycle just the detector I get nothing but the backlight as seen in the photo. Then it dawned on me the headphones were still on. Power them off, along with the detector. Power on just the detector and all is normal again. I was able to recreate this situation several times by powering on the headphones and detector almost simultaneously. If I power one or the other on first there is no issue. I went on to detect for a couple of hours without issue. When I called it a day and walked back to the truck I tired to recreate the issue again and was able to a few times. Battery was displaying 2 full segments out of 3.

I am running the newest software. I called Minelab this morning and they offered to look at it but I think I will see what happens in the coming weeks as I still have 2.75 years of warranty left. They said they will email their global tech support (sounds fancy) about the issue and get back to me if they think it needs to be sent in or if its just a glitch in the new firmware. Never happened on previous version. We shall see. Just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else had experienced this.

Attachments

• eq800 white screen.jpg
    eq800 white screen.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Recently saw a video on this exact issue, If I remember right the guy in the video paired them twice in order for it to take. I will see if I can find the video

I've had pairing issues too. It's annoying but I have always managed to get it to work.
I have not upgraded to the newest version though.

My wi-steam module after initial pairing, links up almost instantly when detector is turned on. Or when the module is turned on.

Folks doing you tubes with Equinox 800, imo better to use wi stream module and headphones vs blue tooth wireless. Easier to turn off module somexternal,speaker can be heard for video. The when done turn module back on and go find another target to video.

I use the Walkman style headphones with wi steam module, works great.

Is a factory reset recommended/required, or is it a personal preference when switching coils?

(+1) Wondering that myself. I have used both coils without doing a reset and have not had any known issues. Does Minelab recommend a reset??

Is a factory reset recommended/required, or is it a personal preference when switching coils?

(+1) Wondering that myself. I have used both coils without doing a reset and have not had any known issues. Does Minelab recommend a reset??

I just do it so I have a clean slate as I had changed settings in Park 2 and Field 2 and wanted to see how the 6" coil performed with stock settings.

Back
Top Bottom