Large and Unavoidable

Stringtyer

The rain finally abated enough for me to get out and start learning my EQ-600 yesterday. This machine is a magnitude jump from my Bounty Hunter T-II! I went to the tot lot in a local park where there are two sand lots for digging and building castles. The ground was soaked and had standing water. I played with all the modes on the machine.

I sniffed around for a while and found a few coins (first find was a 2016 zinc penny @ 7” deep) and a couple of metal beach toys. I have to admit that, while I like my new machine, there is much to learn about using it specifically and the hobby in general.

I have a question about large, unavoidable metal objects and how to work around them. The park I was working has benches with galvanized steel pedestals set on underground steel supports. I suspect those are good search locations. How, if at all, do I work around such locations? Same question for working around aluminum bleachers.

Thanks for that suggestion. I have just started detecting as a serious hobby after years of playing with what are essentially toy machines and have a lot to learn. I'll play with the settings and record my results. If the data looks interesting enough, I'll share my findings.

a smaller coil like the 5x8" I had on my AT Pro allowed me to get up closer to metal playground equipment and fences.

Look for a target signal as you sweep toward a bench or swingset. You'll get a signal from the large object as you swing away from it. Then try swinging slowly parallel.
Place a coin near it and practice.
If you get a tone one way, and not the other you're *snagging* the bench or playground fixture.
Be wary of big hits deep near the legs of these things. Use pinpoint to *size up* the signal.

Last edited:
What Walrus said is what to do,as far as technique goes. If you get the signal from the large item AND another signal,there’s something else in there. This hobby sure looks and sounds easy to some...it ain’t. Working the spots where others couldn’t,for whatever reason,is a good place to gain confidence...and coins!

Back
Top Bottom