• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Kids

MarkTwa8n

The earlier thread about stupid questions people ask us reminded me that I still had this picture on my Ipod.

A few days ago I hit Muruku beach. This beach is on Hamahiga Island, not far from where I found my gold coin. It was cold (cold for the tropics) and it looked like it was about to rain. I hoped to dig a few targets before I it got too wet.

The beach was deserted except for an old grandmother and her two grandsons, playing bad mitten. The Grandmother was the most joyful lady I had ever met. She came over to introduce herself, offer me some tea, and to see what I was doing. I was surprised that she didn't speak Japanese...or English. They were tourists from Indonesia. The eldest boy, 9 years old, spoke a little English.

The two brothers quickly got treasure fever. We worked out a system. I would hunt and mark "X"'s in the sand where I found a good target. One brother would scoop, and if my little scoop came up dry, the other brother used my Pro Pointer to find the target.

The glee in their eyes when they scooped up a coin was almost enough to make you cry. I think I was about their age when I used a toy metal detector to find my first Morgan silver dollar. After that, I never forgot that feeling, and I bet 30 years from now these boys just might be spending a few hours a week out on a beach with their own detectors.

Crew.jpg

That's awesome. We had a little pair of brothers following us too last weekend and they were absolutely enthralled. Even when we got a bad signal and decided not to dig something the smaller of the two brothers would immediately drop down and start digging doggy-paddle style in the sand. Lots of 'oohs' and 'aaahs' when we showed them our little bags of 'treasure'. :D

Two of my nephews are totally into metal detecting, they're 3 & 4, they love to come out with me and try and show me where I should dig.

They still don't get that there has to be a target where I scan my detector for me to find anything. A lot of times they run to a spot and point and tell me I should try that spot...haha.:lol:

I commend you on your selflessness. I'll answer questions and give away a coin or two to make a kid's day but I don't think I'd have the patience to let them dig for me. Now, if I already had 4 or 5 rings in my pocket it might be different. :D

VERY COOL!!!

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for representing MD's everywhere with your kindness and unselfishness!!!

That was an Awesome gesture on your part,too bad you couldn't make a copy of that photo and send it to them in 10 years!!...Curt:grin:

My 8 year old nephew is the best. He'd come with us hunting rather it be on ranch land or the beach when we're there. He'd follow me around and he could hear the tone from my earphones. As I'm pinpointing a target he'd be right there...

"What did you find!? What did you find.?" Jumping arond like a puppy on a leash.

The first few times I'd just say, "I don't know yet. I haven't dug it up." Well about 45 of those later I finally had to do this:

HIM "What did you find!? What did you find?"

ME "Hey. See that? What is it?."

HIM "Dirt"

Me "Is there a hole in that dirt?"

HIM "NO."

ME "What did I find?"

HIM "I don't know. You haven't dug it up yet."

ME "OK, Remember that."

My brother and I rolled and rolled on that one all night long. Kind of like "Who put the freak in french fries?" "Their ain't no freak in french fries." That's what I've been trying to tell you. Do you just want the burger then?"

Coolwhips :cool:

Great story. Kids and MDing are a double-edged sword. When I'm with mine, I'm guaranteed a following if I'm at a park with other kids around. It's usually fine and even sometimes fun. When it's not, and some kid gets out of line it saps my patience, but I try not to blame the kids and cast my glare at their parents who are usually far away yakking on their cell phones.

That's a really cool thing you did. It's nice to take some time now and again and just relax and have fun, seeing kids light up like that is better than alot of finds.

Back
Top Bottom