Trouble with my new Compadre in Tot Lots

daltondak

Hello,

Only been out twice with my compadre. First time was at a freshwater beach and the thing owned the sand. It was dead on.

This time I did a tot lot and feel like I'm missing half the lot. I keep it on disc out iron and thats all, but every time I get a couple feet away from a pole or equipment it goes off like crazy. Can't disc the equipment out or I would have to put it on max and I wouldn't find anything. Sometimes I'm four feet away and it picks it up the poles. Or if I'm scanning under the equipment its picking up the playground equipment five feet above!!

I'm having to hold the swings on the swing sets behind me to search because it picks up the chains. It will pick these up above the detector with no problems and the swings are about 2 1/2 feet high?!!

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Do have something set up wrong? I've watched some videos on youtube and mine looks way more sensitive. Its so sensitive I can't get near any of the equipment. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for the help

Compadre doesn't have a sensitivity control. I didn't think that would be a problem on the compadre because it does have a small 5.75 coil.

I know everyone else says the compadre is the best at the tot lots. That's why I'm confused on this :?:

The problem you are having is the Compadre (as you know) doesn't have a sensitivity adjustment (at least not an external adjustment but can be adjusted by way of an internal pot.) & is too sensitive to get very close to swing set poles,etc.

Attachments

• compadre.jpg
    compadre.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 924
Yes you are correct. I was just making sure this is normal. My detecting buddy uses a F2 and turns his sensitivity down and can get pretty close to the poles yet find coins and jewelry.

I was just puzzled how everyone claims the compadre rules tot lots but I was feeling I only can detect half the lot :(

NOW everyone can understand why I kept the Ace 250 w/sniper coil. And the sniper on my Silver umax was a little better than the Compadre, but still couldn't get as close. The Ace can have it's sensitivity lowered a LOT and the sniper coil is built to be used close to objects. The Compadre IS king of the tot lots IF gold is the main target due to it's ability to find the smallest gold. Otherwise, the other detectors-F2, Ace, etc., with TRULY adjustable sensitivity help around equipment. Different conditions, different detectors. Yeah! Finally-an excuse to the wife for 2 detectors!:lol:

NOW everyone can understand why I kept the Ace 250 w/sniper coil. And the sniper on my Silver umax was a little better than the Compadre, but still couldn't get as close. The Ace can have it's sensitivity lowered a LOT and the sniper coil is built to be used close to objects. The Compadre IS king of the tot lots IF gold is the main target due to it's ability to find the smallest gold. Otherwise, the other detectors-F2, Ace, etc., with TRULY adjustable sensitivity help around equipment. Different conditions, different detectors. Yeah! Finally-an excuse to the wife for 2 detectors!:lol:
You owe daltondak & I each $50.00 for getting you out of the dog house with your wife :lol::lol::lol:.

Well,

I went back to a tot lot and really changed my style. I had really low, short swing with the compadre. I still couldn't get right beside the equipment but much better.

I just need practice. With the slow swings I could tell if it was the poles or something in the ground. I know you can get closer if you turn down the sensitivity but your probably only searching on top of the ground then. I would say I am able to search about 6 inches away from stuff. And maybe I'll get better with more detector time. :cool:

Check out my post for some results at the lot this evening.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=669347#post669347

Thanks
Michael

Well,

I went back to a tot lot and really changed my style. I had really low, short swing with the compadre. I still couldn't get right beside the equipment but much better.

I just need practice. With the slow swings I could tell if it was the poles or something in the ground. I know you can get closer if you turn down the sensitivity but your probably only searching on top of the ground then. I would say I am able to search about 6 inches away from stuff. And maybe I'll get better with more detector time. :cool:

Thanks
Michael
Hey, nice thinking. I also learned to slow the sweep speed on the Silver w/4" coil and got within a couple of inches. There is a post on one of these forums for adding the coil connector to the Compadre so different coils can be used.

Hey, nice thinking. I also learned to slow the sweep speed on the Silver w/4" coil and got within a couple of inches. There is a post on one of these forums for adding the coil connector to the Compadre so different coils can be used.
Changing coils on the Compadre

Go inside the Compadre and remove the strain relief that is located at the control housing. There are wrench flats (nuts) on both the inside and outside. Once that is loose, snip the coil wires between the coil cable and the PC Board, leaving enough on the board to identify what goes where. Cut the orange, grey, purple, and black wires that attach to the PC Board. Note that the black wire is actually soldered to the ground/shield wires in the coil cable.

Then, remove the 5-pin plug from the coil you want to use. and strip the outer covering back about 2 1/2 inches. Separate the orange, grey, purple, and blue wires from inside the ground/shield wire mesh, being careful to keep the mesh intact. Just twist the two sections together into a single strand.

Once you've done that, remove the coil wire from the Compadre housing and the hardware from the replacement coil. Thread the replacement coil cable back through the strain relief sections like you removed the original, and then solder each wire back to the PCB or to the sections of color-coded wire that you left on the PCB when cutting off the original coil cable..... orange to orange, grey to grey, purple to purple, and the ground/shield mesh to the black ground. It's actually just as easy (or easier) to remove and replace one wire at a time from the PCB while soldering each cable wire back directly to the PC Board points. Be sure to either wrap or use a piece of heat-shrink tubing on the exposed part of the mesh ground/shield part of the wire to avoid ground contact with the PCB inside the housing (red covering in photo). Also, the extra BLUE wire in the coil cable is not used, so just snip it off close to your strip edge where the other wires come out of the outer cable covering.

If you would like to have interchangable coils option, connectors can be installed in order to change out different coils on the Compadre. To do that you will need the Switchcraft female side of the coil cable connector plug (the part that fits in the control housing itself) and then the male end used on the actual coil cable. Just be sure to match the color-coded wires up to the standard scheme used on all of the land coils. Although the 5-pin plug hardware is used, only 4 pins are actually used. The standard pattern is as follows:

Pin 1 = Orange
Pin 2 = *not used
Pin 3 = Purple
Pin 4 = Grey
Pin 5 = Ground/Shielding (center pin)

The pins and female recepticles are numbered on each insert for easy referrence.

Also, the hole in the Compadre case where the stock cable strain relief passes through will need to be enlarged a little to accept the female side of the plug hardware. The housing is basicly the same as all of the uMax housings and everything will fit just fine.

Unless the parts number have changed the Switchcraft numbers for needed parts are:

5-pin Male coil cable plug = SL415M
5-pin Female control housing plug = SL405F
Strain relief spring for cable = SL05

Attachments

• Compadre-rewire (Small).jpg
    Compadre-rewire (Small).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 940
I've found that with the right technique you can still find targets close to the metal polls with a little practice. Detectors seem to vary on how you work it, but the concept is sound.

With my DFX the key is to get the coil right to the metal poll and swing it parallel(left and right) to the poll as you move the coil back toward you. With my AT PRO it works best to put the right side of the coil against the poll and swing out/away toward myself. The key is starting with your coil right at the metal object and swing away from it. Your detector will tune to the metal object, when you're right at it, and as you move away it will be able to hit on targets within 4" or so of the metal. Listen for any abnormals in the sound as you swing away from the object.

The last gold bracelet I found was about 5" away from a metal angle iron poll. The AT PRO gave the typical high pitch tone from the poll, as it does them all, but this poll also gave a quick sputter and a lower tone. I went back and worked away from the poll and found the low gold tone, kicked the chips and saw the shiny yellow stuff.

Thanks A TON Ski! This is the perfect weather to get ANOTHER Compadre and kinda get it ready for next season. I'm gonna order the male connector-I already have the 4" coil, and of course the 8" brown donut from my Silver. I also plan to add a "tab check" switch like on my Silver for coin hunting. I'm hoping that Switchcraft has a lot of electronics-gotta check.

I'm having to hold the swings on the swing sets behind me to search because it picks up the chains. It will pick these up above the detector with no problems and the swings are about 2 1/2 feet high?!! Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

I do the same thing with the swings and it's normal. Learn the distance your detector starts to get impacted by the large iron legs on playground equipment and when swinging parallel near it look for nuances in the signal. Sometimes you'll find an extra beep sometimes it will be off somehow.

Well,

Thanks
Michael

practice is the key thats for sure :cool:

I use a Compadre in tot lots and don't have a problem with picking up the equipment. Yeah, if i get really close, it sounds off, still not a problem. I'm really happy with the Compadre. I also own a Vaquero and a Sov GT. Each has a purpose and each holds its own. The GT rocks in the wet sand, the Vaquero and Compadre rule the dry sand and dirt.

Back
Top Bottom