Pinpointing

CentralNY

I am trying to learn how to use my metal detector everyday. I have a question about pinpointing even though my metal detector does not have a pinpointer on it. Is there anyway to do this? Also should I use my metal detector in all metal mode or in disc mode? What is the difference between them? Thanks guys lots of questions!

Me too. My coinmaster pro has a pinpointing button on it. But when I push it the detector only makes a loud noise everywhere I point it ? So its tough to figure ?

I'm sure there are ones out there can describe this better, but here goes anyways.
Try to cross over the target horizontally and vertically. 1st one way then when you think you have it close go the other way forming a cross or X.
But just a bit more advice would be to get a Garrett ProPointer. Its a worthwhile investment, and it literally takes all the guesswork out of the equation.

I am trying to learn how to use my metal detector everyday. I have a question about pinpointing even though my metal detector does not have a pinpointer on it. Is there anyway to do this? Also should I use my metal detector in all metal mode or in disc mode? What is the difference between them? Thanks guys lots of questions!

Your hunting "mode" depends on what you are looking for and how much digging you want to do....."all metal" means just that. Your detector will sound off on all metals, including nails, pull tabs, foil, etc. The disc mode lets you "cancel out" certain types of metals/objects (iron/steel nails, aluminum pull tabs, etc.) Just don't set it too high or you might miss the gold.

Dusty

well i ordered the garrett pro pointer. the area we are in just keeps going off and we cannot find anything but shale. I think there must be a lot of iron in the ground thats setting it off.

So we need to wait till we get our pin pointer and then go back out.

To answer this ... do you have a concentric or DD coil. Basicly you can find a sweet spot on a concentric coil by using a coin running it over the coil at its max distance and listen for the highest tone. Mark it with an X on the top of the coil. Then like a DD you move it toward the front of the coil until the tone gets weak or disappears. The coil should be very close to the front of the coil. Or you can use the X method like was mentioned. Its difficult to answer the AM question without knowing some information about your machine. Like how many tones... does it have notch or knob disc. Detectors normally recover faster from coil shut down in AM, but you hear everything that passes under the coil. If you use too much disc you can loose good targets. You need to do some air testing of targets that you want to hunt and check them against any disc you do. A good example a pull tab disc may also disc out nickels.

Dew

I do not have a clue what kind of coil it is. I can tell you its the one that came with it. It seems to go off right as the target is directly under the stick when I am testing a dime. I will see if I can figure out the coil type. All I know is I am getting more than tired of not being able to locate the targets.

Awaiting that pinpointer.

Try finding the sweet spot on the coil with a coin. You should be able to hear the loudest sound as you move it around.. then use a marker and put an X.

Dew

I am trying to learn how to use my metal detector everyday. I have a question about pinpointing even though my metal detector does not have a pinpointer on it. Is there anyway to do this?

The basics....

Attachments

• pinpoiny.jpg
    pinpoiny.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 298
the area we are in just keeps going off and we cannot find anything but shale. I think there must be a lot of iron in the ground thats setting it off.

have you tried reducing your sensitivity? it sounds like you might have it set a bit too high and are picking up minerals in the ground. lower it a notch or 2 and see if you can zero in on more localized targets and then try pin pointing on your targets. i know you'll lose some depth with a lower sens, but it's worth a try to eliminate what sounds like false signals.

Pete

If your MD has all metal mode and a manual ground balance button, you can hold your MD high over the area until it beeps, then click the ground balance button once till the sound disappears and then move a little closer until it beeps again. Repeat the process until you are right on the X where the exact only place where your MD will beep. You can start all over by moving your MD very high and resetting the gound balance and starting all over. You can also move the MD side to side while pressing the gound balance button a few times until you are on the exact X spot.

Just how deep does a Pro Pointer penetrate into the ground to pinpoint a coin?

I thought they could only pickup a coin about 1 to 2 inches into the ground.

So if the coin is deeper than that, you'd better have a detector that pinpoints really good to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom