Water Hunting. Wading, Diving, and Hookah

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
I posted this on another thread but I decided to start a new one for EVERYONE TO SEE.

Folks look at my finds and want advice on water hunting. Some want to do it cheap. I have one word for you. DON'T

Sure you can get on Fee-Bay and buy a hookah made in China, the UK or anywhere else without being certified. Here is the question you need to ask yourself:

IS THAT A UNIT YOU WANT TO RISK YOUR LIFE WITH??
I REFUSE to recommend a life saving device made cheaply in another country. ALL I have seen have a 90 day warranty. WOW!!

Seriously folks. Water hunting is FUN and PROFITABLE in the right places but

GET CERTIFIED
I refuse to recommend anything else. Sure people can do it and not get into trouble. However, you are asking the wrong person for advice. One real good friend and two acquaintances died while detecting and WADING.

http://www.michigansthumb.com/news/article/Wixom-man-drowns-at-Caseville-beach-7303310.php

I have been certified since 1980 and I have 37 years of diving experience. Over 20 in murky water. I was on the search and rescue team in Utah when I was a cop. I learned one important thing.

Do you know the best thing about finding a body underwater?

Nobody can hear you scream.

I know this is not what anyone wants to hear, but this is all I can give. Sorry

I am sure someone will chime in and say they did it with absolutely no problems. Good for you. However no other advice will come from me as to this. I don't need to think I might be the cause of anyone's demise.

Be safe out there and have fun.

Last edited:
Certified for any type of diving is a given. Aanything less and its russian roulette. I don't live in the US so I need to consider what is available (mail) to fit my needs. I also recommend anyone water hunting to have an inflatable life vest. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
If it's not made in the US doesn't mean it's useless. There are a few up and coming detector manufacturers based in Europe. Minelab manufactures in Malaysia and headquartered in Australia. Gm and ford cars are recalled on a regular basis with countless lives lost yearly. Research and evaluation is a valuable tool when purchasing anything .. as is safety in and around the water.

Last edited:
Certified for any type of diving is a given. Aanything less and its russian roulette. I don't live in the US so I need to consider what is available (mail) to fit my needs. I also recommend anyone water hunting to have an inflatable life vest. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
If it's not made in the US doesn't mean it's useless. There are a few up and coming detector manufacturers based in Europe. Minelab manufactures in Malaysia and headquartered in Australia. Gm and ford cars are recalled on a regular basis with countless lives lost yearly. Research and evaluation is a valuable tool when purchasing anything .. as is safety in and around the water.

I agree Steve, to a point. Why would American made Hookah's be guaranteed for a year and oversees ones guaranteed for 90 days? That is my concern over something you are TRUSTING YOUR LIFE WITH.

A QUALITY hookah will have a GOOD SOLID warranty. It will also have a higher price tag unfortunately. I know it can still break down. Hookahmax has a reserve tank. But you have no indication it isn't working when you run out of air in the tank as far as I know.

I buy tools from Harbor Freight. They have a 90 day warranty BUT if they die, they are cheap enough to toss and buy another one. What if your hookah dies while you are at 20' deep? You are trusting your life with this thing. And you are trusting your life that you can handle any emergency while underwater, without training.

ALL these cheaply made hookah's are just that. CHEAP. Add that with no training and you have the start of a recipe called DISASTER.

As I said. Everyone do what you want. Go out and prove me wrong if you will. I don't control or regulate your life. I just am giving my free 2¢ because I care about people.

And no I am not trying to keep all the deeper gold to myself. I couldn't get it all if I wanted to and I have invited anyone to my largest honey hole by posting pictures and telling where it is. There are just some things that you need training for I believe and diving is one of them.

I agree Steve, to a point. Why would American made Hookah's be guaranteed for a year and oversees ones guaranteed for 90 days? That is my concern over something you are TRUSTING YOUR LIFE WITH.

I buy tools from Harbor Freight. They have a 90 day warranty BUT if they die, they are cheap enough to toss and buy another one. What if your hookah dies while you are at 20' deep? You are trusting your life with this thing. And you are trusting your life that you can handle any emergency while underwater, without training.

ALL these cheaply made hookah's are just that. CHEAP. Add that with no training and you have the start of a recipe called DISASTER.

As I said. Everyone do what you want. Go out and prove me wrong if you will. I don't control or regulate your life. I just am giving my free 2¢ because I care about people.
Could be quality. Could be shipping. Who knows. I went for my 1st ow dive today to get certified. Anyone that thinks they can just hop in the water with a hookah and dig up a fortune will likely get a wake up call. 6ft of water sitting on the bottom and I could just see my hand in front of my face. Anyone considering doing this better take it seriously.

Folks do not understand the dangers of diving. They do not have any idea what to do in case of an emergency and they will sooner or later have an emergency.

I have had my certification since 1973 but I would not go diving today without a refresher course and considerable time in a pool getting my body in shape to dive.

I am not in any hurry to die.

Well...this highly specialized genre of our Sport is probably gonna be the 'Final Frontier' for those of us that want to go out and find some cool stuff...All the easy dirt finds and a lot of the deep tough ones in easy to access areas are gone and never to be replenished...Door knocking? How long will that even be a viable method to pursue? We are hunting a limited amount of targets on a huge Planet, swinging comparatively small coils, within a daily exponentially declining rate of health/time parameters...

Heck, even massive clad hauls are hard to come across anymore...so thats it..If a guy wants to continue with any hope of yearly and prolific success, especially hunting and finding gold/silver, a guy probably should at least look into what it would take to go subsurface and evaluate it with a level head....I have and humbly submit the following...

Huge barrier of Entry ROI speaking...let alone the other sundry financial and personal commitments required, the discomfort of wet/dry suits, hauling heavy tanks or a hookah rig, geezling along in the mud in zero vis, entanglements, stiff currents, cold....No ability to smoke even, brain eating amoeba, other infection possibilities, boat strike potentials etc...

Yeah...Its pretty easy pulling up and kicking a chip totter, hunting a park or curbstrip or tear out...But suiting up and going subsurface is at least a half day commitment with an immense amount of physical effort required before you even get wet...Let alone an easy $5k up front investment for training/cert and gear. But yeah...probably the Final Frontier of metal detecting with any hope for repeatable success is under water....

Every day we see a Member post a nice wading or beach gold/silver find, is one less out there to be found...Like Dee is saying...He's been doing this for 37yrs...Stiff hunting even, It aint as easy as the youtube vids portray...still, a guy should probably look into it a little...! We MUST find Gold, and we all gotta die of something, and I suppose getting hung up in some Spider wire 15' under the ice with a free flowing regulator is not as bad as some of the more traditional options!! :laughing:

At this juncture, theres time left for performing some due diligence in this regard...As of now, the ROI lines have not completely crossed yet..Theres still massive gold found regularly by the waders and beachsweepers...A clad/jewelry hunting Totter with a entry level rig, a screwdriver and a nail apron is most likely making a better ROI with less effort than in any other genre of this Sport...but the day is coming when the lines will cross, for about all of us, ....

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get scuba certified in a couple of months solely to expand on my treasure hunting hobby. I don't anticipate being comfortable enough for a hunt until next April probably. Like georgeinsc said, I'm in no hurry to die.

Back
Top Bottom