Update: Cook county forest preserve meeting to address ban on detecting

chicagoron

The meeting on Tuesday went pretty well. We had a packed room (35 hunters) for the meeting. We listened to the lawyer for the county forest preserve talk about the 1918 statute about no digging or removing items from the preserves. He also talked about protecting the preserves from destruction, and that most of the Illinois forest areas were moving that way. There were no individual concerns expressed by them, Our Lawyer and Pat Anderson then gave a short presentation on all we as detectorists have done to improve the preserves over the years, including clean-up days, removing loads of trash, recycling removed items, returning items found and also donating items to local museums.

Pat talked briefly about putting together a permit and training plan to allow detecting on some if not all cook county property. The board was open to discussion and a meeting was set for 2 weeks to start dialog.

I will update as more info is available.

Hope all goes well. I fear this may become a more consistent problem as the hobby grows. For every concerned MD'r, I think there are more uneducated, get rich quick types who don't take the greater good into account. I hope I am wrong. Best of luck with this "battle"

Hmm, 5 year old thread. Why not? Any new news on Cook Co. Preserves? Im headed that way in a few weeks and will be looking for spots to explore. :)

Back
Top Bottom