Hello everyone am I doing something wrong?

Digger0038

Hello from Fallon NV. I am brand new to the hobby we have 5 acres and I think I'm going to start there.. First I have a Gold Digger GC-1020 detector and I am not sure if I am using it right. I read the instructions but I'm still not sure. I went out today for about an hour and I found 2 crushed cans that were down about 6" and some nails and scrap metal also down about 2". The problem came when I put a nickle down about 5" and covered it with dirt. It would not read the nickle at all no matter what setting I had it on. It says it could read larger objects down to 4' but it can't seem to read a nickle at 5". I have wanted a detector for a long time and after my purchase I seem to remember hearing bad things about Gold Digger detectors and also Bounty Hunter but Im not sure why or if they were really bad machines? I had a budget of $200 and I thought the one I got was a decent buy since it had the lcd display and you could put the end piece in water without harming it. Then I thought about it and wondered was this the brand that was the bad one? Anyway I think I can return it or exchange it for a better one or would it not make a big difference in my price range?

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong or any tips on how to work it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to chatting with you all more as I get into the hobby. Thank you. I am sorry if I placed this in the wrong section. I was not sure where to post it.

Last edited:
Sorry,Ive never heard of your machine,but welcome to the forum.Hope you get some good advice.Your post would have hung around longer if youd put it under detector advice.

yo D

From the land of the Bluenose....hope you got it going okay now. Just google and you should find a forum for that specific model to give you a hand.

Welcome from Kansas. Midway U.S.A.
a lot of times you can read a coin deeper after it has been in the ground longer. A nickel reads about like a pull tab. If you have discriminated them out, you probably won't pick up a nickel. Try a dime or a quarter.

Welcome from the Wickedest Little City in the West

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking something is wrong with their detector, or it's a POS, when they find they aren't finding deep old coins or doesn't test they way they expect. Chances are your detector is just fine. If you can pickup a nickle at 3" then you've probably got it adjusted just fine. Picking up a freshly buried nickle at 5" is a pretty good feat for any detector.

I think what you have is the same as the Gold century GC1020.
Is this what your's looks like?

http://www.ambientsw.com/gs50274.html

If so it is a Chinese made detector. 5" on a nickel just might be out of the detectors range. As you are learning, if you get a good sound and it is deep, it is most likely a can. When you get used to it you should be able to pluck out coins and jewelry from a modest depth.

Attachments

• yhst-50494684177512_2137_200594241.jpg
    yhst-50494684177512_2137_200594241.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,019
Welcome aboard Digger0038... it does sound like you have some settings that need tweeking...I do not know anything about that model MD, perhaps some others can help... RickO

Found this thread...
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=370033.0

From what I can tell, the quality of these Chinese detectors vary widely, some are good, some are horrible, even in the same model lines.
Quality control is a term the Chinese don't seem to have in their language.

The posters here say the best way to use this type is to swing very slow.

Good luck.

HH

Hi guy's sorry I thought I posted in the wrong section so I have been checking the other post. I will get the hang of this forum thing. Actually that is very similar to the one I HAD.....I returned it the other day and I went ahead and ordered the Fisher F2. I should have it Wednesday afternoon and hopefully I will be a bit happier with that to start with? I appreciate all of your reply's. Reading all of the posts and different equipment I can purchase is getting me all worked up. I have not even gotten my F2 and I'm already thinking the F5 looks really nice and does a lot of cool stuff.

Turns the sens up as high as possible and turn the disc down all the way or just knock out iron. Like others have said 5in on a freshly buried nickel is not that easy, for old coins we rely on a leaching effect as the metals leach into the soil on modern coins, copper coins etc it creates a larger image for the detector to pick up. Also make sure the nickel is flat and not getting knocked on its side when you bury it. If there is one thing I found in detecting it is that depth claims are exaggerated ALOT. I've used all the deep machines like Fisher CZ's, Sov's, Explorers, and now a F-75 and while I do find deep objects I still have doubts about those 14in dimes i've heard stories of. Cars is my other hobby and I have found that most of the bolt on HP claims are at least 50% overrated.

Back
Top Bottom