Dectecors

goldpaninut

Does anyone out there know if there is a recreational metal detector currently made, that detects objects by density instead of electrical conductivity?

im looking for coins & jewelry, but tired of guessing if its a gold coin or a pull tab. A density type detector would tell you

im looking for coins & jewelry, but tired of guessing if its a gold coin or a pull tab. A density type detector would tell you

If this were true, they'd be selling like hot-cakes. There's nothing that will tell alloyed gold apart from aluminum.

No, I don't think any military detector measure density. Or if it does, that it will tell aluminum and gold apart.

If gold rings are your agenda, hit swim beaches, not junky turf :)

Well lemme just run this up the flagpole and see who salutes! If a rig has Proportional audio, as well as full tones, you can SORT of tell the mass/density/size/and certainly depth of an object...This is for inland park/sportsfields work...

A really light sens also helps...Anyway, in field, you hit a foil signal, as you raise your coil the signal hangs on higher than it should via your settings, and the Proportional audio stays the same ...its most likely foil, like a gatorade tear off...If however it doesnt hold on for long, and washes out within an inch or two, better give it a stab...a ring/chain wont 'hold on' to its volumn as well as large foil does...so foil is easy to do this with...

Now the big bummer is those square tabs...they sound and hit exactly like a 4gr 14k mens wedding ring, as well as a Womans 10k class ring...OK...so, a guy tries to listen to any kind of change in a standard tab signal, a little higher than normal, or a little bit lower...and keys in on those specifically...

Now I say this based upon 1000's of hours of in field operation with my F70, same settings, day after day, all conditions..so it is possible to discern mass on certain targets in certain zones of the detectors range...Not all, but a lot...discerning depth/mass of targets is all based on the Pro Audio volumn...

So, recognizing all the various gold configurations, knowing odds, a guy can also default to a very fast retrieval method and not think about it so much...Instead of diddling around on a 'tab' tone at 2" depth, to determine if its a ring, its just far easier and faster to stoop and stab it...Then, when you DO hit a tab tone in the same area thats running at 4-5", out of the 'normal tab depth' for this area...definitely go after that one...

So I guess it depends on the areas age and the location within it how hard a guy focuses...if there is a great potential based upon what the dirt is saying for a gold ring drop, a guy gets a bit more focused on the nuances in the tone/volumn...

I wouldnt want to accept Toms "Trash Park" challenge to prove this point, but If I did, this is exactly how I would roll....Another problem I have is retaining concentration/focus for any length of time...It .seems it takes @15min to get in the groove and let your ears warm up, you get in a few productive hours, and then start to fade both in concentration and hearing nuances...

Last edited:
....I wouldnt want to accept Toms "Trash Park" challenge to prove this point, .....

haha.

Re.: mud-puppy's and others musings that they can differentiate gold vs aluminum through various audio tricks:

I don't know that the tricks that puppy alludes to are telling "density" apart. But even assuming that's what it's doing, .... I would agree that ... sure, a person can pass "commonly recurring junk items".

It would simply be adding a form of mental audio "notching" to the 30+ yrs. old idea of numerical notching. So you are now adding in size to the equation, ON TOP of the numerical/graph readouts that the machine can tell you.

However, with that said, as puppy acknowledges: You will still find yourself going psycho in a junky park. And you will still miss various gold items (that mimicked the "junk" you were trying to pass), and still dig 100s of junk items (that mimicked the "gold" you are trying to find). Thus far from being a way to "tell aluminum apart from gold", it's simply a form of glorified notching.

Yes, of course..Mental Notching is Key! A person Trash Park Gold inclined has to think about what the dirt is saying...and do a few test holes to determine the odds and strata of the site.....find the 60s/70s high odds pay streak...You try to remember things from dirt knowledge, be observant, and come up with a repeatable performing pattern...You are intuitively chunking a lot of data as you hunt a place, figuring odds and input along the way....or else just work the numbers and hope luck is on your side...

You actually can 'up the odds' in your favor...You can highgrade a site, find a few silver rings, lotsa clad, think to yourself, "OK..theres gotta be a pony in here somewhere" then go back time after time on a midtone 'nickel quest' and hunting bastard signals in likely areas of that place that will hold your interest and increase your chances of goldy success...

Beach/water hunters do the exact same thing! They get into a cut, full of old heavies, then they slow down and dig it all....They pull a lot of scrap, but thats what it takes to perform in certain areas where all the 'signs' are right...Same with a park or sportsfield...You really gotta be an optimist though, and enjoy what the dirt is teaching you along the way..

Last edited:
Here is what they really need......there are a lot of good detectors out there......all we really need is an additional switch on them for density. If you get a signal you're not sure of, simply hit the "density" button. Coppers density is about 9 on the scale with platinum being about 21. I think gold is around 19. Aluminum is down around 2 or 3. So when you get a signal, hit the density switch, and if you get a 12.....then you dig it. A 10K gold ring should register about 9 on the density scale.....so you dig it. When gold is mixed for strength its mixed with silver.....not aluminum. Forget anything under about 7. Steel bottle caps still might give a problem because their density registers about a high 7. Simple as that. Maybe "density" is the wrong word to be using......should I be using "atomic composition"? All I know is a 10K gold ring is going to register different density than a pull tab or bottle cap. I don't know if there is such an animal......but it would sure be nice! Maybe thats what the major detector manufacturers should be working to add!

Back
Top Bottom