Seeking advice...

chanman

Forum Supporter
Hello folks! I live in a house which was built in 1835. The backyard is fairly large, and runs to the back alley. I am new to detecting, and just purchased a Tesoro Mojave. My father decided to give me his AT Pro yesterday, as he is uninterested in the hobby at this point. I want to hit my property HARD, and am wondering how to go about it. I haven't had time to detect it yet, (due to work and weather), but I did swing around the backyard for about two minutes before work this morning. The folks who lived here before me had several kids, and it seems as though they took full advantage of the back yard, as I can see plenty of toy cars and such sticking out of the dirt just walking around. When I swung the detectors around, they were VERY noisy! I mean EXTREMELY NOISY! I think the yard is just littered with almost 200 years of trash under that dirt. How should I approach hunting this type of area? I wasn't sure if I should start by picking surface signals at lowest sensitivity with the Mojave, and gradually work my way to deep iron signals at full sensitivity with the AT Pro once I had cleared out shallow trash? It seems as though I get a repeatable signals every couple swings, and between that is wild chatter, even after reducing sensitivity, ground balancing, and discrimination. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I just KNOW there is some history under my ground!

You and I have similar stories. My yard is the same way although built in later 1800's. When i swipe over it I see my VDI change numbers like its counting milliseconds.

First: try and find a quite part of the yard.
Second: learn Pro mode with your discrim put at around 30-32
Third: work your way in from said "quite area" Odds are most your good targets are masked so you have a dilemma. Dig every signal and make your wife hate you for destroying the yard Or focus your solid targets
Fourth: find a new place to hunt because my yard stresses me out.

Its important to learn your detector first. Unfortunately a trashy area is going to discourage you

I know you just got it but the 5x8 coil did wonders for me.

Hello folks! I live in a house which was built in 1835. The backyard is fairly large, and runs to the back alley. I am new to detecting, and just purchased a Tesoro Mojave. My father decided to give me his AT Pro yesterday, as he is uninterested in the hobby at this point. I want to hit my property HARD, and am wondering how to go about it. I haven't had time to detect it yet, (due to work and weather), but I did swing around the backyard for about two minutes before work this morning. The folks who lived here before me had several kids, and it seems as though they took full advantage of the back yard, as I can see plenty of toy cars and such sticking out of the dirt just walking around. When I swung the detectors around, they were VERY noisy! I mean EXTREMELY NOISY! I think the yard is just littered with almost 200 years of trash under that dirt. How should I approach hunting this type of area? I wasn't sure if I should start by picking surface signals at lowest sensitivity with the Mojave, and gradually work my way to deep iron signals at full sensitivity with the AT Pro once I had cleared out shallow trash? It seems as though I get a repeatable signals every couple swings, and between that is wild chatter, even after reducing sensitivity, ground balancing, and discrimination. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I just KNOW there is some history under my ground!

Wonderful site you have there but it may not be the best spot learn on. If your dad gave you that at pro get that 5x8 coil asap and pop that puppy on there. You will want to desc out the iron and very importantly go slow and listen for a repeatable good tone. You may have to back of the sens a bit till the detector is stable. Man you are so lucky to live at a site like that lol my yard would be all dirt from the holes i would dig

Your other option is to dig up some of the iron and get it out of the ground to unmask the good targets but that might be a hard thing to do if there is a ton of things in the ground. Wear gloves go slow, listen for repeatable signals and most importantly have fun.

Patience, listen for those good tones amongst the garbage. If you ae going to be using an at pro watch some videos on you tube of stealth digggers in NH, most of the sites they hit are noisey as all get out but you can hear a good signal here and there and see how they do it!
Patience!

I'd start with the Mojave.
You can use the preset sensitivity,
and turn the discrimination up all
the way. That will let you pick out a few
Higher conductivity targets and get a
feel for detecting. The concentric coil
will be a lot better at isolating targets.
As you clean the yard just keep lowering the discrimination
until you get down to the nickels and GOLD!
Good luck and remember......

Dig It All

Noah

Start scouting the yard with your detector.

Try to sector it off and rate.

Terrible,
So so,
And clean/cleaner.

Start in the clean/cleaner area first.
Hunt it at least 3 times,,before progressing to another area,,even if one of these other areas are deemed as CLean/cleaner.

Hunting behind yourself,,,this is where the real learning starts happening.

There are some good videos.
You can also set yourself up some test of your own to experiement.
Some nails,,pull tabs and coins will do.

Disc setting is important when you are doing test.
Meaning when you do a test,,,,with a nail and coin,,,when you remove coin leaving nail and sweep your detector over nail,,,,tone provided should be at least broken to dead quiet. If the nail is making some tone(not talking about iron tone here),,,raise disc slightly and resweep,,and keep doing until detector hardly tones in on nail.
Then proceed with your testing.
If you change nails and go to a bigger size,,,recheck your disc as I mentioned prior here.

You sound like you have a good site to get in some real practice.

The real question is,,,do you like grass in your yard or not.
Think about this,,,as you start digging up your yard.

Try and at least keep the top soil where it can be put back on top,,,should you decide to dig a deeper hole like 8" plus deep.

Good luck

Your journey has just begun.

My advice is to dig out every piece of metal you come across because being that it's your yard, you will want to get it all anyway. That's what I am doing with my yard.

I had the same situation as you several years ago when my wife and I was visiting her family in Ohio about 9 years ago,my wife's family lived in a house that was built in 1889 it sat on 1 1/2 acres and was one of the first two homes built in the area.

What I did was go over their yard with one detector first at least 3-4 times hit it with my detector that gave me the least depth first and dug every target I was hearing and yes I dug a ton of trash the first 3-4 times but I cleaned out the shallow targets then the next time i went over it with a deeper detector to get the targets the first one missed dug more trash but also more great targets.

If we ever return there I will be taking some different detectors just to see if there is anything else there.

The 5x8 is your friend here. You will be surprised at how many crappy signals turn out to be good targets. You will most likely dig tons of iron but it's necessary as a lot of deep silver sounds very similar. Take it slow and try to analyze the signals and listen to your detector. If it's beeping there's something there. It's up to you to decide if it's worth digging or not. Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks again for all the helpful advice folks! I had an hour before dark last night to get a little swinging in. Started in a sort of "quiet" area with the at pro in pro coin mode. Picked up an unbelievable amount of stinkin' Lincolns, some toy cars, and a couple clad quarters. Going to keep chipping away at it when I have time, utilizing the tips you folks had given me. Hopefully I'll get to the good stuff at some point, and I can post a thread in finds!

Back
Top Bottom