Is the Dug merc a proof ? How would I know?

Dewsweeper894

Elite Member
Is this dug merc a proof? Hunted for an hour today . Found a couple mercs .one is very shiney and almost mirror like . Is ther any way to tell ?
I have dug a couple hundread silver coins and this looks like it is brand new.
Thanks for the help
, Dew

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 504
if it was a "proof" it ain't one anymore...as soon as someone touched it and it was dropped and buried the "proof tag" came off.

on the good side...you have a very shiny Merc....

It does look like either a proof coin or very uncirculated at the least.

Very nice 42 Merc. Check the 2 on the date to see if its got a double stamp. I have dug coins like that, once a 46 Rosie that was six in. down, looked like it just came from the bank and a 1909 Barber dime that looked brand new. I guess the soil is kind to some and not so much to others. Anyway nice find and HH Mark

if it was a "proof" it ain't one anymore...as soon as someone touched it and it was dropped and buried the "proof tag" came off.

Way to burst my bubble so early in this post Kona ! 😐

I think you may be describing an uncirculated coin. A proof coin doesn't change it's status regardless of being circulated or buried. It's what we'd call an "impaired" proof.

DS, if your coin has a D or an S mint mark, you can rule out a proof.

Well , there is no mint mark , Phili , The last year proofs were issued for a wile . I have just accepted that it may have been dropped fresh out of the wrapper . I was hoping a proof had some other identifier .
Thank you for the help

likely just struck off a new die, hence the good strike/finish.

Does it have full bands? That is a good indicator how long it was in circulation. Not a proof, but a good looking coin.
A friend of mine dug a 40's merc that looked like it was dropped the day it was minted.

" It's what we'd call an "impaired" proof."

Ah....learn something new everyday...I'm not a collector or a numismatist or I'd probably know that....

Dew....I didn't mean to burst your bubble,I honestly thought that once a proof coin was touched by human hands it no longer was "proof"...a great find either way.

Back
Top Bottom