I had no idea what I had...

jwp1964

Forum Supporter
Apparently, I made my best metal detecting find ever a few days ago and didn't realize it.

I thought my best find of the day was the 1807 Draped Bust Half I found about 10 yards from the half Floral Wreath Tongue Buckle pictured below. I have friends who are into Civil War Artifacts and they were more excited than I was. When I dug it I knew if was half a buckle, but had no idea how rare it is. I appreciate any info any of youWar Relic hunters can provide.

07586e1bf531159c9ab1063064fc527b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many sections you gonna post this in man? lol it's starting to feel like you're rubbing it in a little. Jk

Looks legit and not a reproduction.

This is the section I'm normally in and the ID my finds, anyway like I said in the ID section:

In looking through O'Donnell's book "American Military Belt Plates"

It appears to be a Ames Mfg. Co. Floral Pattern Wreath

I see this pattern in examples of :

US Navy Petty Officer 1846-1852
US Militia Officer 1838-1847
South Carolina Militia Officer 1839-1847
Virginia Militia Officer 1848-1855

Thanks Dsm. I just figured some of the War Relic guys may not have seen it. I just can't believe how freaked out some of the guys I know got. Hardcore Civil War hunters were losing their !!!! Lol

Thanks Dsm. I just figured some of the War Relic guys may not have seen it. I just can't believe how freaked out some of the guys I know got. Hardcore Civil War hunters were losing their !!!! Lol

I'd be posting it all over too, just pickin on yah.

Awesome dig ..now go find the tongue!

Thats awesome. What do the numbers represent? I think I see a "19" and "69" ... When I first looked I thought maybe the 69 was short for 1869 but obviously thats not the case.

While I am not especially a rellic Hunter I can definitely see where that would be an excitable find for those who are so congratulations. Also not sure what benchmark numbers mean but while your waiting on someone to respond who does I can tell you where to look on your photo. Upper right hand side toward the front. You may want to enlarge your pic to see it.

Don

While I am not especially a rellic Hunter I can definitely see where that would be an excitable find for those who are so congratulations. Also not sure what benchmark numbers mean but while your waiting on someone to respond who does I can tell you where to look on your photo. Upper right hand side toward the front. You may want to enlarge your pic to see it.

Don

Thanks Don. Enlarged it a little. Time for a new glasses prescription.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benchmark number

Thank you, will look into it some more.

To JWP1964, the numbers are in the inner flat surface, towards the upper right. Here is an enlarged picture (not sure if it will help with clarity for anyone)

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-18%20at%207.59.19%20PM_zps77t8lyxj.png

Thank you, will look into it some more.

To JWP1964, the numbers are in the inner flat surface, towards the upper right. Here is an enlarged picture (not sure if it will help with clarity for anyone)

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-18%20at%207.59.19%20PM_zps77t8lyxj.png

Thanks Exorcist. Got it now.

Back
Top Bottom