Besides a Vaquero,what else

fuzzymaster

should I look at before buying my first detector. I like the simplicity of a Tesero and I like the warranty. I don't think I will mind the learning curve of a beep only machine. I believe I can get a new Vaquero for right at 400. So I just want to see if I am missing something that would be maybe better but have not looked at yet.

Buying new, not a whole lot to choose from at that price with similar features and capabilities.
If it is new at $400 that is a great price.
Used there is more, I bought an F70 for $400 that never saw dirt but not everyone is comfortable buying any kind of second hand detector...others don't mind at all.

In testing soil conditions, coil types and settings definitely matter, I have seen a few where badly performing detectors were slammed but definitely would have done a lot better with different settings so always a grain of salt thing, however...
Here is a vid where the Vaq does a pretty good job with just the standard coil...there is a large selection of aftermarket coils of all kinds for this one which is a bonus.
I love mine even though I don't use it much anymore I still pull it out from time to time and I will never sell it.
It paid for itself easily in the clad, silver and gold it found for me since I got it, plus two other coils.
Overall it has the perfect feature set to be very productive in most sites and conditions plus it is fun to use.
Learning the Tesoro language isn't all that hard, the basics are pretty easy and as you get better and more fluent more success will follow.

I've got to agree with digger 27,,why not buy used.Your money will stretch twice as far,and for the most part everyone takes good care of they're detectors,probably more than they're car.lol
Plus,you'll get extras usually that you'd end up buying anyway

look for a trusted seller--buy used all day everyday.

I have got more than few used machines here. I only buy from trusted seller and get pics before I agree to buy.

I have been very happy with my purchase(s)! But there is always a risk. I do most investigations to minimize the risk.:D

1-check feedback
2- talk to seller on phone
3-check sellers post(s) looking for posted problems on the items being sold, etc
4-If a deal looks to good walk away its more than likely a scam.

Also several dealers take in trade(s) and they will resell at good discount!

I don't have a problem buying used. I did like the idea of getting a package deal as I have nothing right now. The reason I don't have a new Vaquero is because I have been watching for good used one. The new 400. is a demo, it's on ebay. I've been reading how ground balancing is important and that was another reason I was leaning towards a Vaquero.

kozemzn is right.

After a major purchase I found the unit had been dunked in saltwater. While it turned on and appeared to work. I swung a busted detector for several months with marginal results. Coil had been beat and was out of phase, and the inside of the machine had dried saltwater in it. Do yourself a favor and just buy new with a warranty. F44 is what ya you want.

Seems pretty nice!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-F44-...393580?hash=item23728858ac:g:UeoAAOSwFqJWqoWC

also, keep in mind that forum sponsors can usually get you a MUCH better deal than the MSRP. seeing as that's the case, without saying tooooo much, the F5 is also in your range:

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/369-1-fisherf5.html

I've been reading and watching a lot of videos on that f5 lately..That is a very nice machine,well laid out and no menus,everything is at your fingertips.Even has a digital running ground balance window,to show what your set at and real time reading of what you should be at..really nice features on that f5

I've been reading and watching a lot of videos on that f5 lately..That is a very nice machine,well laid out and no menus,everything is at your fingertips.Even has a digital running ground balance window,to show what your set at and real time reading of what you should be at..really nice features on that f5

I have had my F5 out a few times and I can tell you, it's a whole nother ballgame when compared to the F2. Both are great but this F5 is a monster. Very accurate and yes, I *love* those knobs!

Got mine from Big Boy Hobbies and I couldn’t be more satisfied. I'm still learning its tones and behaviors and whatnot but so far... what a beast.

After a major purchase I found the unit had been dunked in saltwater. While it turned on and appeared to work. I swung a busted detector for several months with marginal results. Coil had been beat and was out of phase, and the inside of the machine had dried saltwater in it. Do yourself a favor and just buy new with a warranty. F44 is what ya you want.

I was doing a bit of net digging and found this:

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/350-1-fisherf44.html

but then there is also this:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=216419

:shrug:

New generation entry level unit but at the top of that range.
$400 is high...you can get it for less.
Still an entry model, kinda, mid level usually starts at a little higher price point bu they are loading up the lower end units with plenty of great features nowadays and this is one of them.
The F22 came out probably to replace the F2, the F44 will still be here if and when they discontinue the F4 which wasn't a great value to begin with.

Ground balancing, weatherproof and other nice features.

Seems very good, fun and capable but just not as sopisticated or as feature rich at the level of the F5 or higher models in the Fisher line.

Back
Top Bottom