Is the Dug merc a proof ? How would I know?

Doubt much if that Merc be a "proof" but it is a treasure. It was dug by you and now belongs to you and is added to the count of successes that are your treasures. Another fond memory from the infamous Dewsweeper. Congrats my friend. Trapper

I think you may be describing an uncirculated coin. A proof coin doesn't change it's status regardless of being circulated or buried. It's what we'd call an "impaired" proof.

That's what I was going to say, a proof has nothing to do with quality. A "proof" can be run over by a train, flattened, and technically still be a proof..... ;)

That's what I was going to say, a proof has nothing to do with quality. A "proof" can be run over by a train, flattened, and technically still be a proof..... ;)
One could also run a nice dug silver coin under a cloth buffing wheel for a few seconds, and get a nice shiny finish with minimal microscopic wear. Or, a moment immersed in "Connoisseur's Jewelry Dip" and get the same results.

One could also run a nice dug silver coin under a cloth buffing wheel for a few seconds, and get a nice shiny finish with minimal microscopic wear. Or, a moment immersed in "Connoisseur's Jewelry Dip" and get the same results.

Yes, but that wasn't my point. The point was that just because it looks dug, doesn't change the fact that it could be a proof as the person said earlier.

Back
Top Bottom