Disappointing find of 14k with diamonds ring...wait, it gets better!

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
Went out for a few hours this afternoon to the lowered lake. Found $3.03 in clad a small ring of unknown metal and a 1.64 gram 14k ring with 8 diamonds. Not sure if the diamonds are real, but I would think they are. The disappointment of this find is that my F70 didn't find it...my eyeballs did. In fact the detector wouldn't pick up on the ring...if you'll notice it's broken. When I squeezed it back together so the metal made a complete ring it would set off the F70, when broken nothing, nada, zip:?:. When I got home I air tested it with my compadre and even when broken it set off the detector, but only out to about 2". The good news is I hit my deepest coin thus far: a true 10" on a clad quarter.:yes:

To see the "better" part scroll down to post 11.

Attachments

• IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Wahooo! I knew there'd be gold there I did I tell ya! :D

Congrats man!

I once eyeballed a small 10k ring, and I mean small, was scratchy sound under the Compadre if I recollect correctly, probably would have passed on it. Sounds odd so I may air test that ring to make sure, but your ring there is a decent size, congrats!

Keep your eye out for the other piece to the set :D

Broken rings are difficult targets. I once found a broken silver ring that sounded like a pull tab. I can only imagine that a broken gold ring disappears under the coil.

Either way, however, it is yours now! Good find!

That small ring looks like silver and those diamonds have got to be the real deal ! great hunting!

I buffed out the small ring and still not sure what it is. It has a soldered joint on the back of the band that looks to be silver solder. I did test it with my gold test acid set that I just got and with the 10k solution it turned blue. The instructions said that nickel will turn blue with the 10k solution. It looks more goldish in color like bronze though. Is bronze copper and nickel? I'll have to research that see...maybe that's why it turned blue.

Edit: bronze is mainly copper and tin, but could also have some nickel. Here's a couple of pics that show the solder joint. As you can see I'm far from a photographer!

Attachments

• IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Nice find, anyway.
These is a reason all this happened...it's all due to a little-known thing called physics, and eddy currents.
I asked about it a long time ago and got answers and once understood I went on to find many chains and even broken rings.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=92970

Thanks Digger, I knew you'd come through! I did remember reading somewhere that broken rings are very hard to detect...might have been one of your posts.

Today's hunt just got better! I did't want to mention this in the original post because I wanted to contact the owner, but I also found a wallet full of credit cards. It also had the guy's driver's license so I thought I would try to contact him. I googled his name and address and came up with a work email for him. I knew it was him because his work email matched up with his work ID card that was also in there. So the guy just got back with me...he's from New York and the place where I found this stuff is a resort on a lake here close to where I live in NC. He said he had already replaced everything and cancelled all the cards. But there were two Home Depot gift cards in there that I also told him about and said I would mail them to him. He replied back to just keep them. So I go online to home depot and you can look up the cards and there's $39 left on both combined!:yes:

BTW, the wallet got detected because it was basically one of those credit card holders with a metal money or belt clip on it!

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 553
For those that want to know this info but don't want to go over and read the thread in my previous link the high points...

This is all about Eddy currents.

Eddy currents (also called Foucault currents) are loops of electrical current induced within conductors by a changing magnetic field in the conductor, due to Faraday's law of induction. Eddy currents flow in closed loops within conductors, in planes perpendicular to the magnetic field.

Notice that this definition mentions electrical current induced in "closed loops"...open up those loops and things change.
I like to think of it in this simple way, the current in these targets gets diffused or seems to almost "leak out" which lowers the normal conductive return signal in tones and numbers for any metal and also affects depth.

An open, broken "ring", this would include any circular jewelry object such as rings, earrings, bracelets and whatever else, can diffuse the return signal to our detectors which could make them look a lot different to our detectors...and add most chains into this difficult group of targets because links in a chain can do the same.
A lot will depend on how the target is laying in the ground and how it presents itself to our coils so...luck.

The general effect is usually a lower signal than you would think and/or a reduction in depth it can be picked up from a small to surprisingly large range.
Many newbies assume all silver will come in high but this is not the case especially when it comes to silver chains.
I have found many from very small and thin that came in no higher than iron, several in the foil area and up through nickel, tabs and even a lowly dead on zincoln signal on the thickest, fattest bracelet I have found so far.
Hitting a clasp helps but add in those diffusing links and strange things can happen.

silver chains section (2).jpg

Here is a large silver bracelet that was opened in the ground buried and came in at a zincoln signal.
Closed up it changed into a quarter signal.

P1030146 (1).jpg

A thick silver ring that was crushed in the middle into a figure 8 shape...essentially two large links, was another dead on zincoln signal in the ground but out of the ground by passing the face over the coil and after I fixed it and opened back up to a true ring shape again it soared way higher up into quarter range.

user10659_pic59701_1404685911.jpg

Most gold comes in lower than silver, if this is white gold that could come in even lower to foil because of alloys so dropping way down lower to iron or disappearing completely is not unusual.

Here is testing on a broken ring for depth from '53 Silver.

Weird things happen out there all the time, we can miss targets that are laying in the ground one way but pick them up fine if they are positioned different.
We can avoid digging some trash area signals or even iron but once in awhile they could be something different like gold or silver chains or broken, open jewelry targets.
All this stuff is relatively rare but there always a chance it could happen at any time so you just gotta be on your toes, don't assume and stay aware.

Last edited:
Great info Digger! Making me re-think a few targets that I recently ignored.

BCD

For those that want to know this info but don't want to go over and read the thread in my previous link the high points...

This is all about Eddy currents.

Eddy currents (also called Foucault currents) are loops of electrical current induced within conductors by a changing magnetic field in the conductor, due to Faraday's law of induction. Eddy currents flow in closed loops within conductors, in planes perpendicular to the magnetic field.

Notice that this definition mentions electrical current induced in "closed loops"...open up those loops and things change.
I like to think of it in this simple way, the current in these targets gets diffused or seems to almost "leak out" which lowers the normal conductive return signal in tones and numbers for any metal and also affects depth.

An open, broken "ring", this would include any circular jewelry object such as rings, earrings, bracelets and whatever else, can diffuse the return signal to our detectors which could make them look a lot different to our detectors...and add most chains into this difficult group of targets because links in a chain can do the same.
A lot will depend on how the target is laying in the ground and how it presents itself to our coils so...luck.

The general effect is usually a lower signal than you would think and/or a reduction in depth it can be picked up from a small to surprisingly large range.
Many newbies assume all silver will come in high but this is not the case especially when it comes to silver chains.
I have found many from very small and thin that came in no higher than iron, several in the foil area and up through nickel, tabs and even a lowly dead on zincoln signal on the thickest, fattest bracelet I have found so far.
Hitting a clasp helps but add in those diffusing links and strange things can happen.

View attachment 377811

Here is a large silver bracelet that was opened in the ground buried and came in at a zincoln signal.
Closed up it changed into a quarter signal.

View attachment 377810

A thick silver ring that was crushed in the middle into a figure 8 shape...essentially two large links, was another dead on zincoln signal in the ground but out of the ground by passing the face over the coil and after I fixed it and opened back up to a true ring shape again it soared way higher up into quarter range.

View attachment 377812

Most gold comes in lower than silver, if this is white gold that could come in even lower to foil because of alloys so dropping way down lower to iron or disappearing completely is not unusual.

Here is testing on a broken ring for depth from '53 Silver.

Weird things happen out there all the time, we can miss targets that are laying in the ground one way but pick them up fine if they are positioned different.
We can avoid digging some trash area signals or even iron but once in awhile they could be something different like gold or silver chains or broken, open jewelry targets.
All this stuff is relatively rare but there always a chance it could happen at any time so you just gotta be on your toes, don't assume and stay aware.

As clean a break as that appears in your images of the gold and diamond ring, it looks like either the ring was cut to expand it...too tight on the finger and could not get it off, or that it had been cut and resized, and later the aolder joint broke. Great find anyway! And who could ask for better than gift cards! Ha ha

I buffed out the small ring and still not sure what it is. It has a soldered joint on the back of the band that looks to be silver solder. I did test it with my gold test acid set that I just got and with the 10k solution it turned blue. The instructions said that nickel will turn blue with the 10k solution. It looks more goldish in color like bronze though. Is bronze copper and nickel? I'll have to research that see...maybe that's why it turned blue.

Edit: bronze is mainly copper and tin, but could also have some nickel. Here's a couple of pics that show the solder joint. As you can see I'm far from a photographer!

I think you have the ring upside down, that's a script E. Awesome finds!

What a great hunt! I'm curious about the value of that diamond ring. That plus the HD cards and you might be sitting on a very "worth it" outing.

Back
Top Bottom