Do any other detectorists use a towel for their dirt most of the time?

Hook

Elite Member
I ALWAYS use a towel to place the dirt drom a dig onto , unless i'm hunting in bare dirt. I guess its a neatness thing for me, because i dont like leaving a dirt stain all over the place while digging in manicured grass areas.
I see a lot of videos of people searching people's yards and not using a towel or anything to catch the dirt before replacing it in the hole. Just wondering if i'm a little anal about it, or are there others that feel the same as i do? HH!

I don't but many do.. I dig pretty good holes so I really don't make a mess.. another thing to use is a frisbie or a plastic car mat...

I don't do that much digging in really nice lawns. Besides a towel with a little dirt on is going to get blown to Wyoming from the winds here sometimes......:yes:

Dusty

I use a frisbee, but am thinking about a going to a towel, just so I don't have as much to carry.

Doug

i use a bandana.....that way i can wipe sweat or blow my nose :lol:

I'm trying to get ahold of a used truck innertube. Then I can cut a square out and use that for the dirt. It'll fold easily and it's natural curviness funnels dirt back in.

I use an old hand towel most of the time. It keeps the area looking nice and looks good to those watching me, including the cops. It shows that you care about not leaving a mess.

I actually use a piece of fabric I had cut out of an old shirt. I like the tight nit polyester fabric better than a towel. The dirt slides right off it when I am dumping it back into the hole. I also use it to kneel on from time to time when digging.

I use a foot square piece of nylon screen material. It is light weight, folds into nothing and will fit in my back pocket. The mesh is very fine so the dirt doesn't go through it, but shakes off easily.

Cut a hunk out of an old table cloth, smooth and slippery on one side and soft and cushy on the other. Put slippery side up, easier to dump the dirt back in the hole.

I use a foot square piece of nylon screen material. It is light weight, folds into nothing and will fit in my back pocket. The mesh is very fine so the dirt doesn't go through it, but shakes off easily.

That's a great idea and I happen to have a roll of screen mat in my garage. Thx for the tip, I'm scrapping my innertube idea now.

i started using one at first and it was great, the ground was real wet and made a mess of everything, but now only at select propertys. I was using a 2 foot square piece of US Army issue canvas tent, it is suppule and waterproof.

Back
Top Bottom