City owned property

kking

Who at the City would you need to get permission from to detect on a city owned piece of land? Im not talking a park or some other public use area. I see a piece of land on my way to work everyday with an old abandoned small farmhouse, stables, and other out buildings on it, falling down and in disrepair. There is a driveway leading into the lot but a gate has been put up preventing vehicle access with a sign on it saying "no hunting". When I did a property search, it came back that the City owns that whole area. Maybe part of future open space project or something because it is in a rural, undeveloped part of town. A few acres away from there is a water treatment plant and the land around that is owned by the power authority but this 5 acres or so is owned by the city.

Then I got to thinking, who could give me permission? Who gives me my best bet at getting a yes? I thought of maybe going and talking to the local city historical society first and asking them if I got permission, would they be interested in my finds of historical importance, then approach the city with "hey, could I get permission to detect there? I have been talking to the historical society and they would be interested in artifacts I retrieve, etc...."

Around here, if the city owns it, I hunt it. I just treat it like a park. If you feel you must ask, go to city hall.

Good luck!

G2M

You're best bet of getting a yes on city property, is to just go out there and detect it. You're best bet of getting a "NO!", is talking to a city official who doesn't give two flying flips about your hobby and is looking for the quickest way to get rid of you. As he yells out, "Next!"... If people play sports there, take their dog through it, or walk across it, it's fair game!

Look up online the city ordinances and unless it specifically states something about 'no metal detecting", then you're pretty good to go because even though it's not a direct yes, it's definitely not a "no"...

You're best bet of getting a yes on city property, is to just go out there and detect it. You're best bet of getting a "NO!", is talking to a city official who doesn't give two flying flips about your hobby and is looking for the quickest way to get rid of you. As he yells out, "Next!"... If people play sports there, take their dog through it, or walk across it, it's fair game!

Look up online the city ordinances and unless it specifically states something about 'no metal detecting", then you're pretty good to go because even though it's not a direct yes, it's definitely not a "no"...

Good answer MrNovice...that's how I look at it too.

" a gate has been put up preventing vehicle access with a sign on it saying "no hunting"."

Unsure what part of gate, no access, and posted signs tells these other guys that you should just go hit it, but it tells me they don't want you in there, for a reason, and have taken steps to keep you out!!!

If the place is posted like you said it is, then you need permission...sure it says "hunting" but the sign is there to keep people out of there, probably for liability reasons, and it is likely local law enforcement was told to patrol a posted area... I could be wrong about that, but do you really want to just listen to random guys on a detecting forum about a local posted property? They don't care if you break out in handcuffs!

WE can not tell you you can detect there, only the property owner can.:cool:

Do what ya want, but my .02

The "no hunting" is for hunting with guns (to hunt for animals). Right ? Ok, we're talking about metal detecting, not "hunting". Presto, problem solved.

I hunt city eminent domain stuff like that ALL THE TIME, and ... in 40 yrs.... have never been or seen a case of "cuffed" that Nectar alludes to. Perhaps if it was buttoned up, fenced, and posted. But the scenario in the OP reeks of something much more innocuous.

Thanks for the replies guys ... Im going to get a picture of it and post it so you all can see what I'm talking about. At first glance I thought it was private property until I looked it up and saw it was owned by the city. I originally thought the sign said no trespassing until I looked closer and saw it said "no hunting". To me that says come on in but dont hunt animals but there is a minuscule torn up wire fence around the perimeter of the property separating the road from the property with this gate keeping vehicles out of the main driveway.

It is definitely not a place where the public goes at any time that I can see. No paths, no activity.... just an old farm/field on some remote corner on the outskirts of town near a water treatment plant. Maybe the city bought the property as part of some future expansion to its parks and open space program and just hasn't torn everything down yet and is waiting to develop.

I'll just tell em that the friendly guys on my forums told me it was ok ... maybe I will just print the thread to show them the proof... :cool:

I agree with you guys that it would be easier to get a no than a yes... thought you might have suggestions based on your experience as to whom would be an appropriate city employee to give me that permission... would any city employee have the authority to give me permission since it is city owned? :D I mean, could I ask Janice, the gal at the counter of my local recreation center? Shes a city employee. Or would I have to get it from the city manager or parks and rec manager?

There's probably a specific person that manages or is charge of said properties like this for the city. I'd walk the whole property line if possible, is the whole site fenced or just the driveway blocking direct access? Usually cities are required to put notices in the windows or actually stapled onto the structures if they are condemned or whatever, and obviously you can't enter those and it could be dangerous even to be directly around those structures in such cases.

If it was me, I'd park near the side or back of the property and "ho-hum" my way around detecting further and further into the property and see if it sparks any interest, both for you in ways of finds and any attention from anyone else.

It was dark when I went past the property tonight after work but I went on google and was able to take the following screenshots ... and I think I may have figured it out... this may be some type of conservation area...and not as fences off as I thought ... I really could just walk in after parking by the gate... I am going to try and stop by again and peek around in the morning for any other signs...

Attachments

• 12345678.jpg
    12345678.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,227
  • 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 1234567.jpg
    1234567.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,202
  • 123456.jpg
    123456.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 12345.jpg
    12345.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,211
That looks like it could be a Century Farm there King! We have a few around here, seems the State or City take them over and open up a kind of hikers deal or something...I've been to one here with no trouble...somebody already hunted the heck out of the yard...

....... I really could just walk in after parking by the gate... ...

A word to the wise: Whenever you go to hit such sites, you do NOT "park by the gate" (or trail-head, etc....). Because that's just a dead-give-away to a passing lookie-lou that "someone must've gone to the such & such".

Instead: You park a half block down, opposite side of the road, and walk the 1/2 block.

But back to the initial question: That farm, prior to being abandoned and eminent domain, was owned by someone. Right ? Well didn't your "dad loose his boyscout ring there when he was a kid" ? I wouldn't advocate that for private property, of course, but sheeesk, we're talking public property for pete's sake.

Sometimes I think md'rs can way-over-think things. Sorry for the rant.

The mystery has been solved ... :(

I pulled into the site and found the following sign posted:

"Notice - Closed to Public Use... This property was purchased with city portion of the county open space sales tax. A resource management plan is underway to evaluate existing conditions and plan future public use. The property will remain closed until the management plan is complete."

There is also a "no trespassing" sign that you cant see from the road but only when you are at the gate.

The mystery has been solved ... :(

I pulled into the site and found the following sign posted:

"Notice - Closed to Public Use... This property was purchased with city portion of the county open space sales tax. A resource management plan is underway to evaluate existing conditions and plan future public use. The property will remain closed until the management plan is complete."

There is also a "no trespassing" sign that you cant see from the road but only when you are at the gate.

That's too bad. Sounds off limits. Good trying though. Eventually more research like this will pay off, so keep at it and good luck!

And so too, when the "future public use" is finally decided, I bet that .... even then .... you will find some form or fashion of "no" if you look long enough and inquire long enough..

Getting permissions

I know this post is a month old, but I wanted to weigh in with my very limited experience. I live next to a BUNCH of small towns. I've received full permission for town/city owned land from the five towns/cities that I have contacted so far.

I'm careful in the way I phrase my question -- I say something along the lines of:

"I didn't see any guidance on the town website in concern to metal detecting. Is it permissable to detect on town-owned land, like public parks?"

I'll talk about my leave no trace methods, how I clean up trash as I go, and that it's a hobby for me an my kids. I have yet to be turned down, and most thank me for helping to clean up their parks.

In the case of this farm, I would have my confirmation email printed and in my pocket from the Parks and Rec contact or mayor -- whoever -- and use that as my permission if ever questioned.

I've gone as far as to create a booklet that just stays in my detector bag of these permission emails with GIS maps showing town land. That might be overkill, but it looks professional and I don't think anyone questioning me is going to argue back past /maybe/ asking me to leave.

Back
Top Bottom