Looking for places to get started....

wvdave107

Elite Member
Still waiting for my first detector....In the mean time, I've been looking for convenient places to get started and trying to learn as much as I can about anything MD. Ran across this earlier about a local county park less than 10 min. from my front door....

the commission:
•Voted to permit the use of metal detectors in county-owned parks. Before Tuesday's vote, park visitors were not permitted to use metal detectors out of concern they would dig holes and damage property.
Hutchinson told the commission he has seen how metal detector users tend to make only small impressions in the ground when they are alerted of possible items, and they replace the soil after looking for the object. He said he has had requests from people to be allowed to use the devices." I don't really have a problem with them doing that," Hutchinson said. "It's no different than a divot in a golf course. "The commission agreed to allow the use of metal detectors but if damage started becoming a problem, the ban could be reinstated.

This was voted on in 2013...Can't seem to find anything where it has been repealed...I'm sure I'll find out one way or the other if security shows up... LOL

"... he has seen how metal detector users tend to make only small impressions in the ground when they are alerted of possible items, and they replace the soil after looking for the object. He said he has had requests from people to be allowed to use the devices." I don't really have a problem with them doing that,"..."

*BEEP, BEEP!!!*

"That's right, boys. Drop that excavator right here! I got a huge solid hit right by this tree!"

If that was voted okay in 2013 and you see nothing to the contrary then maybe any detectorists have been good about not leaving holes and replacing their plugs.

What model detector did you order ?

You can practice in your yard so you get good at replacing plugs so you're ready for the parks, and you might even find some coins in your own yard !

plughelp1.jpg
plughelp2.jpg

GKL. I'm planning on the Garrett AT Pro....An acquaintance of mine uses that machine and has very good luck. From my research of several different detectors it seems to meet the majority of my interests. Also, if I go with the ATP I shouldn't have to upgrade anytime soon???? Found a pretty good package deal...Detector, pro pin pointer, pouch, carry bag, digging tool, coil cover, and several other items for less than $800.00. Plan on hitting my yard very hard before I venture out in the public eye...LOL. According to my neighbors, our sub division was an apple orchard back in the day. Very curious of what I may find.

I'd like to eventually get an AT Pro myself as many forum members have said many good things about that model.

Since you said you're still waiting for it to arrive, this video I found online can help you start learning some tips about it, this is part 1 of a 4 part series they made, after part 1 you should see where you can click for part 2 and so on -

Back
Top Bottom