Depth test

Semtav

Elite Member
Has anyone done a simple depth test with some of the top Detectors.

something simple like putting a clean coin in clean soil and seeing how deep the top detectors can actually detect them.

Everyone can make claims that this detector is deeper than that detector because of how deep they found a coin, but there are so many factors involved.

Or is this an oversimplificaion of life?

So many variables apply...soil matrix, coil size, hot settings versus discrimination. ..I will tell you I have a V3i, a CTX 3030 and a Deus. ..in actual hunting and going over the same yard multiple times with each machine the CTX was the deepest by an inch or so with the stock 11 inch coil. .the V3i was next with a ultimate 13 coil and the 950 and the 10 D2...Deus was third by a small half inch or less and that Deus only has the small 9 inch coil. . So not definitive by no means, but that is what I have experienced. HH

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Depth test on freshly buried,,say a silver dime.
Deus will trounce Etrac,,CTX, and White's V3i.

Deus happens to be a good loose dirt detector.
So by doing a freshly buried,,,this is all you can deduce.

On undisturbed targets that have been buried for years,,,different story.

Deus with 11" coil,,Etrac with stock,,CTX with stock,,all very similar in depth.
But the real difference is how they are reported for user's understanding,,and knowing what they have under their coil.

Even the old explorers are as deep as the more modern CTX is.

Emi in a place can drive results too.

Takes more than a few targets to actually make a determination.

Sweep speed too can be different between detectors to get signal on deepest targets.

Coil height as well.

Bottom line each model detector has strengths and weaknesses,,,and if a deeper target exposes a detector's weakness the odds of a user walking right by are increased.

Separation and unmasking,,,loads of variables,,,so many that it is not always a smaller coil that will detect some finds,,,rather a bigger coil.

The detector making industry sorta has it lucky here,,,,if detecting was so cut and dried from a detection scenario(more consistent/concrete),, there would likely only be a model or 2 of detectors made period.

BTW,,just because a person fills their finds pouch using one model/type detector, in a site,,,this doesn't mean all the detectable goodies are gotten.
Another model,,even another coil might find the already missed goodies.

And this is where the problem crops in,,,some folks think they have the supreme detector since they found maybe numerous finds in a site,,,,they really don't know what is left,,,they think they do.
To shed light here,,,pay attention to what some of the late comers to Deus are saying,,,some of these same folks used to think FBS/FBS2 units were getting everything coin wise in sites.

How wrong they were.
Some though are catching on rather quickly.

Hope this info helps.

Biggest problem is different detectors function differently in different soil types.
The deepest detector i have ever owned most likely will not be the deepest you would own in your soil. I have red clay , high mineral content.

2nd would be density of soil, say clay vs loamy or sandy and then the moisture content is huge as well.

Then are you talking all metal modes vs disc modes on the machines? This varies widely on machines.

This is all assuming you have clean soil. When things like nails, brass, alum, copper, etc are thrown in you have another world to consider.

Then what they said below ie coil size , detector settings etc etc etc.

I've done a bunch but as others said many variables can play here. Like many many many variables. These include soil, interference, metal used, hearing of the person conducting the test, ear phones used, coils used, battery charge, batteries used, etc

Having said that, I have done a number of tests on my beach detectors...

For beach detectors, based on the tests that I have done, the CZ21, Excal, and CTX are all pretty much near identical in air tests and ground tests when using the same size coil. When increasing the size of the coil on the CTX from stock to the 17'', the depth is increased by several inches. The Whites DF was around the same in the air tests too. Now the difference is that the Whites DF depth should stay the same regardless of the mineralization whereas the others will get less deep as mineralization increases. So its all variable. What is deeper in one environment might not be in another.

Some detectors not known for having good depth ability can get literally unbelievable depth in certain soils or locations , and even the ones known for being the deepest can do very poorly in certain soils or locations. So the reputations of the real depth achievers are somewhat inaccurate. Yes ,...they have great potential in some locations but in other locations the reputation may be unwarranted. You only ever hear of great results from locations where they did really well , you dont hear much from locations where the depth of these machines really sucked because thats the kind of thing people dont usually brag on :lol:

As TSS says, many detectors don't do well on a freshly buried coin.

As Trashfinder says, coil, soil conditions, and whether you are detecting in motion mode or non-motion mode (all metal).

Concentric coils work better in low mineral soil. DD/SEF coils work better in ground with higher mineral content.

You will always get more depth out of all-metal because it doesn't use the discrimination circuitry so the signal isn't degraded by the chunks of data taken out by the signal processors. You hear exactly what the coil receives. It is pretty near impossible to catch coins at depth perfectly on edge in motion mode. In all metal mode you will at least get a threshold bump.

I hunt some places where the mineral content of the soils is ridiculously low (I am talking less than 1% signal loss). With my 950, I will get more depth than an Etrac or CTX with their stock coil. I can improve that further by using the super 12 (but, I like my muscles and joints, so I try to avoid using it). As the mineral content goes up, my advantage diminishes. Minelabs were made to work in the insanely mineralized soil of Australia.

And one of the most important things that is often overlooked - a good ground balance. If you don't have a good ground balance, it is going to be a rough day out there.

Has anyone done a simple depth test with some of the top Detectors.

something simple like putting a clean coin in clean soil and seeing how deep the top detectors can actually detect them.

Everyone can make claims that this detector is deeper than that detector because of how deep they found a coin, but there are so many factors involved.

Or is this an oversimplificaion of life?

Check this guy out. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm400E27X68QiHZkVSC8W0vRIB_udM3S6

In ground tests including comparisons. Uses a variety of targets at various depths. Uses many detectors.

Undisturbed dirt and coins at 12 inches that have been there for 100 years,,,,I'm sorry but it's just not gonna happen.These 15 inch fresh buried coin videos under controlled environments are just bogus and in the wild it would never even come close to that.
Find just one video out of thousands on YouTube of any live dig of a coin at 12 inches,it just don't exist.Because machines just aren't going 12 inches in undisturbed dirt,don't kid yourself.

Undisturbed dirt and coins at 12 inches that have been there for 100 years,,,,I'm sorry but it's just not gonna happen.These 15 inch fresh buried coin videos under controlled environments are just bogus and in the wild it would never even come close to that.
Find just one video out of thousands on YouTube of any live dig of a coin at 12 inches,it just don't exist.Because machines just aren't going 12 inches in undisturbed dirt,don't kid yourself.

Believe what you will. I hunt a WWII army training base that has coins buried 70 years and the M6 will do exactly as shown in video. a few weeks ago I dug a buff at 9" with a 4x6 dd coil. Didn't id as a nickel, but was a signal that sounded worthwhile as it turned out to be. I have a pic of the hole that was dug with it sitting on one of the piles of dirt I dug out getting to it. I do not exaggerate my claims and it's a little offensive when I'm told I'm kidding myself. The M6 will do just what the video showed.

I also think a lot of people overestimate the depth of targets. A lot of people make estimates, based on their experience digging. I remember digging what I thought was a deep wheat penny one time could have sworn it was 9" but I had a ruler along and it was only 6."

No,it's just the opposite,freshly buried coins hit harder on single frequency machines than ones that have been in hard packed dirt for 50 or better years.A lot of myths going around for years on that one.
You see a lot of these videos of machines hitting 12 plus inches on freshly buried coins.But like I said,you tubes been around for ever,show me a live dig of a 12 inch coin found in the wild.A single frequency machine don't have a chance in hell of getting a coin at 12 inches,sorry.Im just a realist.

Your wrong, Plain and simple. That's whats referred as the halo effect when leaching and oxidation get's into the surrounding soil and makes the signal larger than if it were freshly buried. I've been at this for many years and know a thing or two. I have often dug coins deeper than detector will pick up in an air test. The damp soil along with the leaching effect makes the target much more responsive. That's why, many times on deep targets, the signal will disappear when the first several inches of dirt are taken away. Not a myth, it's a well known fact from years of in the field observations.

No,it's just the opposite,freshly buried coins hit harder on single frequency machines than ones that have been in hard packed dirt for 50 or better years.A lot of myths going around for years on that one.
You see a lot of these videos of machines hitting 12 plus inches on freshly buried coins.But like I said,you tubes been around for ever,show me a live dig of a 12 inch coin found in the wild.A single frequency machine don't have a chance in hell of getting a coin at 12 inches,sorry.Im just a realist.

Well,
You sound sure of yourself as far as the 12" deep on in the wild.

In mild soil with a half dollar or silver dollar in the wild buried,,a detector with a 12 or 13" coil,,IMO could locate the coin.
Those are bigger coins,,,but are coins in fact.

A Deus with 11" coil I think will do.
Some others too.

Now a dime,,get more tricky.

A Blisstool V6 with stock coil can do above too IMO.
Other detectrors too.
Now,,what about ID???
You didn't mention this.

But to locate and dig a 12" deep coin,,,very possible.

Even nickels that deep are to be had with some detectors.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1353253,1353253#msg-1353253

Not exactly 12" but 11" deep on dimes.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1148775,1148775#msg-1148775

A deep Injun,,not 12" but 11" deep.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1779488,1779488#msg-1779488

Btw my XS explorer air test a clad dime to 12.25",,,a quarter is a lot bigger than a dime,,,in mild ground I think a 12" quarter is very doable with stock XS explorer. Might even get decent ID too.
In my neck of the woods,,soil is too minerlized to do though.
In the Midwest,,in that loamy soil,,very doable.

Last edited:

Freshly buried coins are way more difficult than long buried ones. 12"+ coins are only possible in certain conditions and soil types , and if freshly buried .....very rare indeed , if not completely impossible in many soils. But Ive found 12" coins that have been in the ground for many decades. My ATP with 5x8 coil can hit 7" dimes all day long as long as they have been long buried and in good soil ,........but a fresh dime at 7" is almost always completely ignored by the detector. You will get much better depth on long buried coins than freshies ,.....that's not a myth.

Back
Top Bottom