• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Surface Find that Fell from the Sky!

DoctorWhy

A bit out of the ordinary 'surface find' but something I've never found before...

I was out in the woods on the Maine island where I live, searching on a new permission for a rumored Colonial cellar hole. After about a half-hour of trashing through the woods, I spot a small white object laying in the brush. My first impression was that the object was a discarded styro cup. Then I saw the NOAA logo in its side. Picked up the approximately 4" white cube and saw a label with the statement: "HARMLESS WEATHER INSTRUMENT". It is a 'radiosonde' -- a baloon-borne weather instrument and transmitter. The label also provided instructions to anyone who found the instrument, and packed inside was a self-addressed, postal paid envelope. Put a note in the envelope describing where and when it was found and requested any information on when and where it was launched. No reply from NOAA, but still hoping...

Also, didn't find the cellar hole -- yet...

Happy Hunting!
--Bert

Attachments

• Radiosonde.jpg
    Radiosonde.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 351
As a youngster I found a device that had been on a weather balloon. Sent a note to NASA describing the device but never heard from them.

cool.. I found one while deer hunting about 25 years ago.. congrats

I found one of these a couple weeks ago with the parachute still attached. The radiosonde is hung up high in a tree, but it's been gradually working it's way down. Should be within reach before too long.

Back
Top Bottom