More good news from Minelab

budaf250

Forum Supporter
Just got word that they have a new service center. It is in Pennsylvania. Just got my CTX back from KellyCo and now it is off to the new service center.

That's great news! They make top notch machines, but when something goes wrong the wait can be frustrating...

Orlando FL

To inquire about repairs for your Minelab metal detector, please call our Minelab Americas Customer Care line at 1-877-767-6522

Well budaf250, thank you (and Minelab Jamie and Mikey48) for the info here. Turns out this thread was created just in time. My Explorer decided to flake out this morning -- it's stuck in "overload," like when you detect a large, shallow object. No matter what I do, it won't clear (power off/on, disconnect coil, etc. -- nothing "clears" the overload). :?: :mad:

So, I guess I'm going to have to send it in. :( I called the number Mikey48 gave, but it was weird; it didn't even say anything like "you have reached Minelab." It was just a voice mail box saying "you have reached voice mailbox number xxxx, please leave a message." I hope that's what's supposed to happen; I left a message but haven't received a call back yet. I also sent an email to the address that Jamie provided, but haven't heard back via email, either. It is a weekend, though, so hopefully Monday.

Anyway, thanks everyone!

Steve

Just wanted to update everyone...

FedEx'd my machine to "Detector Center," Minelab's new PA repair facility, after getting an RMA number and address from my contact person at [email protected]. They received it today; FedEx tracking showed it dropped off at 11:21 AM. At 12:07 PM EDT, I got a text message from Detector Center saying that they had my machine, gave me a ticket number, and said I would get updates "as they happen." I also received an email at 12:07 PM EDT. In this email, they outlined/summarized what I wrote in the letter as being the problem I was having with the machine (to let me know that they understand the problem they were looking to troubleshoot). They said they would provide me an update as soon as they had diagnosed the issue, and to contact them if I had any questions.

A short while later, I sent them an email, asking them to call me because I had something I wanted to mention to the repair tech. They called me within 45 minutes of me sending the email, with the machine already taken apart and in the hands of a Minelab technician on the bench; they said they'd let me know when they had diagnosed the problem.

At 2:05 PM EDT, got another call from Detector Center. Detector was finished/repaired. Wow! They said they would be shipping it back out this afternoon via FedEx. Just over 2 1/2 hours from the time FedEx dropped off the machine, until the repair was completed? And back in the mail to FedEx on the same day it was received? I am impressed.

Problem was with one of the coil wires inside the control box housing; it was rubbing on something on the PCB, either a small soldered-on component, or else a "sharp edge" of the solder joint itself. It rubbed all the way through the outer insulation of the wire, to the conductor itself. In any case, they fixed the wire issue and bench tested -- no more overload signal, all is working properly. They charged me only a labor charge ($37.50), plus return shipping cost -- total out of my pocket (a non-warranty repair), $60.

Very, very impressive.

Kudos, Minelab!

Steve

Last edited:
Just wanted to update everyone...

FedEx'd my machine to "Detector Center," Minelab's new PA repair facility, after getting an RMA number and address from my contact person at [email protected]. They received it today; FedEx tracking showed it dropped off at 11:21 AM. At 12:07 PM EDT, I got a text message from Detector Center saying that they had my machine, gave me a ticket number, and said I would get updates "as they happen." I also received an email at 12:07 PM EDT. In this email, they outlined/summarized what I wrote in the letter as being the problem I am having with the machine (to let me know that they understand the problem they are looking to troubleshoot). They said they would provide me an update as soon as they had diagnosed the issue, and to contact them if I had any questions.

A short while later, I sent them an email, asking them to call me because I had something I wanted to mention to the repair tech. They called me within 45 minutes of me sending the email, with the machine already taken apart and in the hands of a Minelab technician on the bench; they said they'd let me know when they had diagnosed the problem.

At 2:05 PM EDT, got another call from Detector Center. Detector was finished/repaired. Wow! They said they would be shipping it back out this afternoon via FedEx. Just over 2 1/2 hours from the time FedEx dropped off the machine, until the repair was completed? And back in the mail to FedEx on the same day it was received? I am impressed.

Problem was with one of the coil wires inside the control box housing; it was rubbing on something on the PCB, either a small soldered-on component, or else a "sharp edge" of the solder joint itself. It rubbed all the way through the outer insulation of the wire, to the conductor itself. In any case, they fixed the wire issue and bench tested -- no more overload signal, all is working properly. They charged me only a labor charge ($37.50), plus return shipping cost -- total out of my pocket (a non-warranty repair), $60.

Very, very impressive.

Kudos, Minelab!

Steve

That's pretty impressive :wow:

Add more to the new service center good news.

Received my etrac Thursday. Receipt acknowledged Friday. Repaired today, Monday. On it's way back. Total turn around will be about 9 days including shipping time and weekend.

Add more to the new service center good news.

Received my etrac Thursday. Receipt acknowledged Friday. Repaired today, Monday. On it's way back. Total turn around will be about 9 days including shipping time and weekend.

Super! Thanks for sharing that...

Glad you had a good experience.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom